Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

Ii light of the latest email from CRT I told her indoors that we can take the boat out this weekend for a short chug to Wychnor lock and back. A bit of lunch then come home as long as we don't stay on it overnight.. Happy days! 

But Not Happy days.. phoned the Marina and they remain CLOSED until further notice. Probably June they said

So despite what CRT says I cant get my boat out of the marina and onto the canal as its a private business

Sad.. isn't the word

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Hayabusabart said:

Ii light of the latest email from CRT I told her indoors that we can take the boat out this weekend for a short chug to Wychnor lock and back. A bit of lunch then come home as long as we don't stay on it overnight.. Happy days! 

But Not Happy days.. phoned the Marina and they remain CLOSED until further notice. Probably June they said

So despite what CRT says I cant get my boat out of the marina and onto the canal as its a private business

Sad.. isn't the word

Its probably a case of common sense being used by the marina. They have a duty of care to employees and to moorers and if they think its not safe yet then thats how they will operate whatever the legislation is they will be held responsible by many in todays blame culture.

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its probably a case of common sense being used by the marina. They have a duty of care to employees and to moorers and if they think its not safe yet then thats how they will operate whatever the legislation is they will be held responsible by many in todays blame culture.

I know. You are quite correct. I might swim into the marina via the canal and "steal" my boat ?

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hayabusabart said:

Sad.. isn't the word

I’d be out on that bike of yours. 
The weather’s perfect. 
And the roads are as quiet as you’ll ever find them. 
That’s happy days ?

Used to have one myself, old style, 2002 reg. 

2 minutes ago, Hayabusabart said:

I know. You are quite correct. I might swim into the marina via the canal and "steal" my boat ?

Do you refer to Barton Turns? I was there yesterday and there was no problem going in and out of the marina, either by car or boat. There are limited office open hours and the workshop is open.

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I’d be out on that bike of yours. 
The weather’s perfect. 
And the roads are as quiet as you’ll ever find them. 
That’s happy days ?

Used to have one myself, old style, 2002 reg. 

The one in the photo is my old K2 Busa which I have since sold. I know have a K9 Busa as well as a ZZR1400, a 650 Bandit, a T140V Bonneville. No shortage of bikes to ride. P.S the K9 will be going up for sale this year if you are interested?

On 10/05/2020 at 22:32, MartynG said:

Good 

So does getting a McDonalds but that is permitted.

It's a Cumminz plot. Open Mcdonalds and in a weeks time cancel social distancing in that place. Should thin out the thickos.

Edited by mark99
  • Horror 1

7 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Do you refer to Barton Turns? I was there yesterday and there was no problem going in and out of the marina, either by car or boat. There are limited office open hours and the workshop is open.

yes Barton. Only going by what they told me on the phone today. Might have a drive up there tomorrow to check it out.

4 hours ago, Higgs said:

I've heard of re-infection, but can a vaccine give any better outcome. If a person's body had the capacity to defend itself, and was resilient, it is a better system than vaccine - for those people. What is a vaccine meant to do, but to encourage a reaction in the body to produce antibodies. 

What I have read is that the vaccines under development produce substances that are different from the natural antibodies and are intended to latch on to the virus more effectively than that natural ones.

2 minutes ago, Hayabusabart said:

The one in the photo is my old K2 Busa which I have since sold. I know have a K9 Busa as well as a ZZR1400, a 650 Bandit, a T140V Bonneville. No shortage of bikes to ride. P.S the K9 will be going up for sale this year if you are interested?

No bikes for me anymore. sorry ?

Enjoy. 

Just now, Goliath said:

No bikes for me anymore. sorry ?

Enjoy. 

Nor for me :( the state of many road surfaces today with humungous deep potholes right across the carriageway have put paid to it for me.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Nor for me :( the state of many road surfaces today with humungous deep potholes right across the carriageway have put paid to it for me.

It's the idiots in tin boxes that finally did it for me. That, and the medical profession's usual term for bikers.

Donors.

• Greenie 1

Our marina seems to have started up as per normal working, a few boats tootling about, up and down.

I got my special lump hammer delivered, but still can't find a fridge at my price [<£495, and which will fit undercounter. 

Edited by LadyG

9 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I've just had a thought: why is it apparently racist to call this disease 'Wuhan flu' or 'Chinese Flu' when the last similar pandemic is widely known as, seemingly with no racism inferred: 'Spanish flu'? 

That huge chip on your shoulder is clearly weighing you down. You make the assertion and then ask everyone else 'why'. You are the only one one here who has suggested that it is 'racist' so answer your own assertion if you can.

The purpose of calling it Chinese Flu, Wuhan Flu,etc.etc isn't racism it is straightforward Trump propaganda that you have clearly bought into.  He has royally cocked-up in the US and is in dire need of a scapegoat (as most people of his political persuasion are in need of). In January/February he was praising the actions on his 'friend' Xi, lauding how well they were doing really well with the infection (despite evidence to the contrary, even I remember the news clips of a deserted Wuhan, perhaps Fox News didn't show it),then when it all went tits up in the US suddenly he (and apparently you) forgot all about what a splendid job his 'friend' Xi was supposedly doing and oddly enough he isn't a 'friend' any more. If Trump listened to anyone, other than himself, he would have got a better picture of what was happening in China, but since he has no brains, he doesn't like to approach his intelligence services for any advice since he already 'knows' everything. 

• Greenie 3

6 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Do you have a view regarding my questions? 

irrelevant? ridiculous? why on earth do you repeatedly feel the need to raise this unnecessary agenda you seem to have, time and time again?

I could go on.... :( 

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Shapps told us today that he was busy filling in all of the very dangerous potholes in readiness for something or another, so you will be fine once this thing is over - or will you??

Towards the end of the last Tory government, (1997), a friend of mine said that you could tell how long the Torys had been in power by the state of the roads and the size of the potholes. i laughed but, over recent years, it seems to be a reasonable measure.

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

The email is weird it seems to be a two tier system with things slightly different to hobby boaters and liveaboards. The bit Richard doesnt understand is the bit that says " common sense approach would be to remain tied up for the moment "

I cannot, for the life of me, find the sentence you quote, in their communications. Looks like something you have made up again? Do CRT send you a special email for Smelly?

Here is a proper quote, cut and pasted, as is:

"From today, Weds 13 May 2020
Private boaters may undertake short boating trips – avoiding use of locks and any staff-operated structures if possible – providing, as per current government guidance, they do not stay away from home overnight and return to their home mooring (where they have one)."

Somebody here asked CRT directly about using locks and the "avoidance if possible" bit, and they were told that it was because some may not work as well as they should, or at all. So there isn't a blanket ban on the use of locks, and the clarification seems to explain the reasoning.

Again, you seem to have spun things from "what is allowed", to "what you consider sensible". They are not the same thing, and it is not all about you, (or me - given that i agree with what you consider sensible, irrelevant as it is).

So cruising for the day is allowed, and not discouraged as you state. If I was of a mind to do so, I could set off for Dunham Massey at 6am, be tied up for about 9am, have 8-12 hours in the countryside, before cruising back to my mooring.

4 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I cannot, for the life of me, find the sentence you quote, in their communications. Looks like something you have made up again? Do CRT send you a special email for Smelly?

Here is a proper quote, cut and pasted, as is:

"From today, Weds 13 May 2020
Private boaters may undertake short boating trips – avoiding use of locks and any staff-operated structures if possible – providing, as per current government guidance, they do not stay away from home overnight and return to their home mooring (where they have one)."

Somebody here asked CRT directly about using locks and the "avoidance if possible" bit, and they were told that it was because some may not work as well as they should, or at all. So there isn't a blanket ban on the use of locks, and the clarification seems to explain the reasoning.

Again, you seem to have spun things from "what is allowed", to "what you consider sensible". They are not the same thing, and it is not all about you, (or me - given that i agree with what you consider sensible, irrelevant as it is).

So cruising for the day is allowed, and not discouraged as you state. If I was of a mind to do so, I could set off for Dunham Massey at 6am, be tied up for about 9am, have 8-12 hours in the countryside, before cruising back to my mooring.

Yeah but I could cruise 5 mins one way and maybe 10 the other locks stop play! The next moorIngs down have 1 min one way only! And the two after that can't move at all! So cruising for a lot of boaters ain't gonner appen Richard 

58 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Yeah but I could cruise 5 mins one way and maybe 10 the other locks stop play! The next moorIngs down have 1 min one way only! And the two after that can't move at all! So cruising for a lot of boaters ain't gonner appen Richard 

Smelly has been telling us it wont be "allowed", irrespective of the practicalities. The fact is that it is allowed.

Even in your case, unless the locks are staff operated and not manned, you are allowed to use them... the wording of the guidance/instructions does not specifically forbid it, and subsequent clarification to a member here, from CRT, has explained the reasoning for the use of the phrase, "avoiding use... if possible".

I am not arguing with you Peter, and I actually think Smellys approach to this is sensible.... but he was adamant that cruising would not be allowed, and arrogant enough to believe he could not be wrong. Even now, he hasn't got the guts to man up and admit it.

56 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Smelly has been telling us it wont be "allowed", irrespective of the practicalities. The fact is that it is allowed.

Even in your case, unless the locks are staff operated and not manned, you are allowed to use them... the wording of the guidance/instructions does not specifically forbid it, and subsequent clarification to a member here, from CRT, has explained the reasoning for the use of the phrase, "avoiding use... if possible".

I am not arguing with you Peter, and I actually think Smellys approach to this is sensible.... but he was adamant that cruising would not be allowed, and arrogant enough to believe he could not be wrong. Even now, he hasn't got the guts to man up and admit it.

Just on same rules as before if I had to empty holding tank its other side of Doncaster 12 hours return which I have always been allowed to do,  so lets of locks which would have been manned in some cases as they are broken to users. Although next month things will change for livaboards not so for pleasure boaters really 

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Shapps told us today that he was busy filling in all of the very dangerous potholes in readiness for something or another, so you will be fine once this thing is over - or will you??

Towards the end of the last Tory government, (1997), a friend of mine said that you could tell how long the Torys had been in power by the state of the roads and the size of the potholes. i laughed but, over recent years, it seems to be a reasonable measure.

Blimey we are soon going to have realy bad roads then as we are thankfully going to have aTory government for a long time.