Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, frahkn said:

I've just wasted a specs cleaner to clean finger marks off my screen. I got them on trying to shift what I thought was a midge or a flak of dirt.?

I understood that to be the correct use of the apostrophe, where a plural was indicated. I may be wrong. 

35 minutes ago, Higgs said:

The appreciation of the situation, whatever that may be, has to take into consideration that there may be no way of effecting the 'correct' behaviour in us all. We are not exposed to all the pressures of government. Ministers all have their' own definitions of what is the right course of action. How possible do you think it is to convey the correct information. Simple terms are for the general public, on the practical side of getting any information across. 

So we agree it is all rather wooly and even Ministers see it differently, and say it differently.

6 minutes ago, Higgs said:

In some ways, we're not required to have loads of common sense. I should have thought that self preservation would cover most bases. Maybe the thought of destitution or some other pressing need might undermine a certain side of preservation. 

I certainly agree re the self preservation angle. 

I'm extremely pleased that I can now use my shared NB Isis in the middle of June and other owners will be pleased. However its has to be a nonsense to say we cant sleep on our own boat, that is surely unenforceable. I would be doing multiple day trips its a consequence of listening to much to the anti seaside second home ranters some of them racist. However I would like to know about best practise of lock usage with or without gloves bearing in mind the comments about Covid 19 spread?

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Traveller said:

So we agree it is all rather wooly and even Ministers see it differently, and say it differently.

I'd have to say, not all ministers have the function of delivering the information. Although, they can always express an opinion. 

1 minute ago, liberal_baggie said:

I'm extremely pleased that I can now use my shared NB Isis in the middle of June and other owners will be pleased. However its has to be a nonsense to say we cant sleep on our own boat, that is surely unenforceable. I would be doing multiple day trips its a consequence of listening to much to the anti seaside second home ranters some of them racist. However I would like to know about best practise of lock usage with or without gloves bearing in mind the comments about Covid 19 spread?

When I first encounter locks, I shall be washing my hands after each and every lock.  Wearing gloves is pointless IMO.  It just means you may have virus on your gloves instead of your hands.  If you then touch your face, the outcome is the same.  Your hands are easier to wash too.  Disposable gloves may have some value IF you discard them after every lock but that's probably more bother than washing your hands.

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, liberal_baggie said:

Full haz-chem suit should suffice for lock working ;)

6 minutes ago, liberal_baggie said:

The email was a little less definitive than that I'd say. It's an anticipation, hopefully things do go in that direction though

14 minutes ago, Traveller said:

Ah see - it gets wooly again ? But true nonetheless.

It's only woolly, if you are prepared to accept unofficial opinion. What is the point of delegating, if other people undermine that position and create mud. 

Those people with alternative opinions will not be called to book, when this blows over. They could just have the satisfaction of saying - "I told you so". But, they still weren't being held responsible at the time, not bearing the weight, having it easy. 

Edited by Higgs

2 minutes ago, Higgs said:

It's only woolly, if you are prepared to accept unofficial opinion. What is the point of delegating, if all the time, other people undermine that position and create mud. 

I understand that, you understand that, but there are shed loads who believe a Minister should always talk the party line. To be honest most Ministers do try to do just that but some of us (and I include myself) find it difficult to accept the delivery of personal opinions at variance with policy. Accidents happen, of course, but politics is an unforgiving occupation.

5 minutes ago, Higgs said:

It's only woolly, if you are prepared to accept unofficial opinion. What is the point of delegating, if all the time, other people undermine that position and create mud. 

Agree, i think its been very clear....stay at home no travel unless essential. Medical,  shopping, work. work from home unless a key worker and implement sensible safety measures in active workplaces.

Why is that wooly.....i don't get why this advice has gotten such a beat down

No i do its because people don't like it.

New advice we all know and detail followed in short order after the tv announcement. Workplaces start to open, open space activities start to return. What is being forgotten here is each industry can not be molly coddled by the government so responsible organisations are left to build the finer details and rightly so.... 

So lets all give a hand for the unprecedented actions, financial support and tough choices forced upon this government. Regardless of your political persuasion they have been good in my opinion and im proud of what this country has achieved and for the most part the level of good will and compliance from all.

Only those who like to question and trip up for no real reason other than because they can feel enough is never enough. 

No offence needed here i mean this in good will and is just my opinion....we need to remember we all have a common love here and its boating so lets support rather than be obtuse just because.

I am fortunate to have both a house and a boat.In a normal year  I spend the winter in the house and most of the warmer months on the boat. I accept that the house is my primary residence and have not been to the boat. However, my daughter returned to live with us [well before the lockdown] and she works at a local primary school. From the 1st of June she will be back at work mixing with all the children. 

Now I do not consider myself in a high risk category[ I am fortunate in having no underlying health issues that I know about] but have to admit that my age makes me vulnerable. But as I read the guidelines I can't stay overnight on the boat--common sense suggests I would be far safer on the boat than in a house with my someone who mixes with a school full of children.

I'll wait and see how the guidelines change over the next few weeks but does common sense trump the guidelines? Am I right in thinking that the legislation hasn't changed and that as such what we are given as guidelines are just a ministers/caRTs  wishes? Thats probably a bit harsh but I seem to remember something in the legislation about travelling without "reasonable excuse" rather than the "essential travel" that seemed to be the interpretation.

18 minutes ago, Traveller said:

I understand that, you understand that, but there are shed loads who believe a Minister should always talk the party line. To be honest most Ministers do try to do just that but some of us (and I include myself) find it difficult to accept the delivery of personal opinions at variance with policy. Accidents happen, of course, but politics is an unforgiving occupation.

I'm not sure there can be a party line in respect of CV-19. The virus is indiscriminate. Any politician that tries to gain political points in this situation is not worth much. 

I think we might get an off-topic reminder soon. Better steer it back to the thread's topic.

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1

I'm not sure there can be a party line in respect of CV-19. The virus is indiscriminate. Any politician that tries to gain political points in this situation is not worth much. 

You try telling Trump that...

You try telling Trump that...

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I will make it easier for you. The reality is the government want us all to stop at home where possible. That means you and I as non workers should not now go cavorting all over the country. My wife and I will not be changing anything we do, just out for shopping and nothing else. Thats the common sense bit the PM mentioned so that means.....................oh hang on I best not go any further as the common sense bit means er ...........................................

That line rather demonstrates that you to haven't the foggiest idea of what the government want, so much for your claiming that it was all very clear. If the Government wanted us to 'stop at home where possible' I would have little or no argument but they did away with the 'Stay at Home' advice, or didn't you notice?  My belief, with infections still running at getting on for 4000 per day (3,877) and deaths at over 200 per day, is that we are winding down the lockdown about 2 weeks early (bearing in mind we were 2 weeks late going into it) and the message from Government, rather than your interpretation of it, is that we need to 'get out there'. You can take limitless exercise so how do three rounds of golf and a tennis session match your idea of 'stop at home'? After that, should I wish to do so I can drive from Birmingham to the North York Moors and go for a walk, how does that fit in with your idea 'stop at home'.

The lack of logic of the current proposals was highlighted by the primary school teacher who asked the PM the question of why she was expected to now teach a class full of children (whose infective state she would have no idea of) but was not permitted to go and visit her mother who has been isolated for the past 6 weeks so it should be reasonably safe to suggest she isn't infected. Joined up thinking? probably not.

The final issue for me is that, despite the rhetoric, do I trust the Government to re-impose a lockdown should the infection rates start to skyrocket again? Since we were 2 weeks late imposing the the first one, it would be expected that we will be 2 weeks late re-imposing another one since to do so might suggest that they were premature in lifting the first one. I would expect an increase in infections whenever the lockdown gets lifted, but if you look at figures from other countries, Spain were down to 700 infections a day before winding down the lockdown, they are now back to 3000, if we start our wind-down at 4000 and show the same sort of increase, we are going to be back up to 17,000 infections a day.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, trane said:

I am fortunate to have both a house and a boat.In a normal year  I spend the winter in the house and most of the warmer months on the boat. I accept that the house is my primary residence and have not been to the boat. However, my daughter returned to live with us [well before the lockdown] and she works at a local primary school. From the 1st of June she will be back at work mixing with all the children. 

Now I do not consider myself in a high risk category[ I am fortunate in having no underlying health issues that I know about] but have to admit that my age makes me vulnerable. But as I read the guidelines I can't stay overnight on the boat--common sense suggests I would be far safer on the boat than in a house with my someone who mixes with a school full of children.

I'll wait and see how the guidelines change over the next few weeks but does common sense trump the guidelines? Am I right in thinking that the legislation hasn't changed and that as such what we are given as guidelines are just a ministers/caRTs  wishes? Thats probably a bit harsh but I seem to remember something in the legislation about travelling without "reasonable excuse" rather than the "essential travel" that seemed to be the interpretation.

You might be safer.  The issue is that you may be taking the virus to others who wouldn't have caught it without your help.

2 minutes ago, trane said:

It's people like yourself, and many others, that I think there should be differing guidance. Imposing arbitrary movement requirements on and aging user group doesn't seem sensible. An awful lot of CCers would simply be safer if they were allowed to remain sat still. Issue is that then you'll get some folk taking the mickey.

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

You might be safer.  The issue is that you may be taking the virus to others who wouldn't have caught it without your help.

But I can drive to the boat every day, have a picnic , walk/cycle the towpath as long as I return home every night. How is that not taking the virus to others [assuming that i have the virus]