Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Higgs said:

The ban will permit the travel to a boat by car, but if the distance is so far that the stay on the boat becomes likely to require an overnight stay, then, the journey is too far. 

The cruising is the restricted part, because the authorities have not yet come to the decision to allow that. 

Agreed but the authorities have decided to allow it...CRT have just not released there say so yet...

If you are on a lockless stretch and want to cruise then id do it and to hell with all those nosey  curtain twitchers with nothing better to do.

You would not be breaking the law as it stand surely? You are using a pleasure craft which the governments latest advice sais you can. Its not unclear it is in black and white.....

Just dont stay overnight. Its something folks

Edited by Matt&Jo

8 minutes ago, Traveller said:

I understand and agree with that. Where I see the imbalance is that one can go for miles on a day trip in the car but cannot have a run out on the boat during that day trip. It would not help me anyway as getting to and from the boat would take most of the day out anyway - but some live close to their pride and joys. I understand the decision rests with Crt. This being the case I can understand why they are cautious.

The guidelines don't object to people travelling short distances, or longer, to get to the boats. It's what is then permissible, once there. Once cruising is allowed, the ball game changes. All boats, apart for liveaboards' essential needs for services, are for visiting only. 

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

> I could, if I wanted to be bloody minded about it, go to my boat today, declare myself home, and set off cruising.  <<

Of course, if you did that, you wouldn't then be able to return to your friend's house because the boat would have become your primary residence. 

Just now, Higgs said:

The guidelines don't object to people travelling short distance, or longer, to get to the boats. It what is then permissible, once there. Once cruising is allowed, the ball game changes. All boats, apart for liveaboards' essential needs for services, are for visiting only. 

I understand all that - I do not understand why you can not go out in a boat for the day but you can in a car. Getting to the boat is clearly not an issue.

Just now, Machpoint005 said:

Of course, if you did that, you wouldn't then be able to return to your friend's house because the boat would have become your primary residence. 

Well sort of.  I could, after a few days, declare that I was moving back to the house, which would then resume being my primary residence.  This is an example of how some people will try to bend the rules to suit themselves.

Just now, doratheexplorer said:

I could, after a few days, declare that I was moving back to the house,

Doing that would not bend rules, it would break them, because of being indoors with a person from a different household. I am assuming that only one person lives on the boat (I realise this is hypothetical and I'm not criticising you personally in any way).

3 minutes ago, Traveller said:

I understand all that - I do not understand why you can not go out in a boat for the day but you can in a car. Getting to the boat is clearly not an issue.

Simply because lines have to be drawn somewhere. We've had discussions about self-righteous personalised exceptions already!

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Doing that would not bend rules, it would break them, because of being indoors with a person from a different household. I am assuming that only one person lives on the boat (I realise this is hypothetical and I'm not criticising you personally in any way).

It's all hypothetical but I think you are wrong.  Moving house is allowed in the guidance.  Nothing is said about other occupants or frequency in relation to moving house.

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Well sort of.  I could, after a few days, declare that I was moving back to the house, which would then resume being my primary residence.  This is an example of how some people will try to bend the rules to suit themselves.

Of course they will just like some are bending the rules now, essential travel for water, so use a different water point each time. Travel for shopping. I bet some boaters have covered dozens of miles.

8 minutes ago, Traveller said:

The authorisation is not there for boats. Getting to the boat is not the issue. I realise there is such as the Ashby. It's down to an acceptance of a gradual testing and controlling of possible areas of transmission of the virus.  

Edited by Higgs

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Of course they will just like some are bending the rules now, essential travel for water, so use a different water point each time. Travel for shopping. I bet some boaters have covered dozens of miles.

I know they have.  Many dozens too.  The specific case I'm aware of involves boaters whom I have a pretty low opinion of generally.

• Greenie 1

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

One of the forum members moved 75 miles last week, just so his wife could set up a covid-19 testing laboratory and do tests from it.

I don't see that listed in the guidelines ...

:icecream:

15 hours ago, Loddon said:

When I was a child my father ( a teacher) used to make me sit multiple IQ tests, the result of this was when I had to do one for real I got a high score having learnt the methodology and how to "pass" the test.

Its something I have carried through life swotting up on the questions asked and knowing the answers not necessarily understanding the subject ;)

I carried that principle through to my Finals (and gained a higher degree than perhaps was expected!) and attempted to inculcate the next generation likewise. Most exams have 'rules' that are not always disclosed - like how many marks each question gets. For example, it is no use spending a disproportionate time on one question when, however perfect, it will only gain 20% of the outcome. Also, the first 50% of the marks on any question usually are much easier to gain than the second half. (I speak primarily from maths and science perspective and a very long perspective at that!)

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Simply because lines have to be drawn somewhere. We've had discussions about self-righteous personalised exceptions already!

Just seems a very odd line to me. I wonder what the justification is - what makes driving miles to a picnic less risky than running up and down a waterway for the day? If it is because the Govt have handed the decision off to Crt then I can understand their reticence. I see no self-righteous personalised exceptions here, not unless you take view that giving drivers that freedom is a mass personalised exception and a much more dangerous one if you believe the groans coming from our coastal villages and beauty spots.

5 minutes ago, Traveller said:

Just seems a very odd line to me. I wonder what the justification is - what makes driving miles to a picnic less risky than running up and down a waterway for the day? If it is because the Govt have handed the decision off to Crt then I can understand their reticence. I see no self-righteous personalised exceptions here, not unless you take view that giving drivers that freedom is a mass personalised exception and a much more dangerous one if you believe the groans coming from our coastal villages and beauty spots.

It's not unusual to want to keep pushing the boundaries, we all do it, from time to time. It is a problem, under the circumstances, and very easy to develop complacency all around, and very challenging to manage an easing down without an early return to a full lockdown. 

I would say the reason there is a difference between travelling in a car and a boat is purely down to the chance of social contact during the journey.

In a car one will generally be enclosed (unless driving a convertible of course) whilst boating you are outside, meeting others at locks and bridges as you go, so the (theoretical) potential for transmission during a boat journey than a car journey is greater. Probably not by much but enough to disaude people from boating for now.

9 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I would say the reason there is a difference between travelling in a car and a boat is purely down to the chance of social contact during the journey.

In a car one will generally be enclosed (unless driving a convertible of course) whilst boating you are outside, meeting others at locks and bridges as you go, so the (theoretical) potential for transmission during a boat journey than a car journey is greater. Probably not by much but enough to disaude people from boating for now.

Though the other side of the coin is that car accidents are a massive drag on the NHS and boat accidents aren't.