Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Going cruising tomorrow Richard or would that be a NO?

I know that this particular thread is about cruising, but what you are quoting as saying had nothing to do with cruising.

You don't seem to be prepared to discuss it....  for obvious reasons :)

Just now, Richard10002 said:

I know that this particular thread is about cruising, but what you are quoting as saying had nothing to do with cruising.

You don't seem to be prepared to discuss it....  for obvious reasons :)

Nowt changed apart from tiny bits Boris told us in a clear manner a couple of nights ago. Strangely enough most people I know fully understood it. There are always those in life who need more nannying and leading by the hand I suppose. 

• Greenie 1

Common sense is something only found in common people. Unfortunately, it would seem that TV presenters, reporters and many MP's aren't common people. And then there are those who will only do as they are told because they will have no one to sue if they make their own decisions and it goes wrong for them. 

25 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Nowt changed apart from tiny bits Boris told us in a clear manner a couple of nights ago. Strangely enough most people I know fully understood it. There are always those in life who need more nannying and leading by the hand I suppose. 

You're at it again, aren't you!

How can you fully understand something that wasn't clear, and would be clarified as the week went by... those are pretty much your words, (or one set of them).

Did you see how many times CRT changed their interpretation.... of course you have.

This morning, cleaners could go to work, but estate agents couldn't. If the news is correct, tonight they can.

Apologies for cross posting - I somehow veered into another thread

My wife received an email from Damian at CRT this morning. It said

Can I visit my boat?
The latest government guidance states that ‘Day trips to outdoor open space, in a private vehicle, are permitted… irrespective of distance. You should practise social distancing from other people outside your household.’

Our interpretation of this is that you can now visit your boat – provided both you and your boat are in England. Clearly you will have to confirm that your mooring provider has opened the site where your boat is moored and that you can access it safely. Alternatively, they may be able to carry out checks on your behalf if they are continuing to restrict access.

In Wales, separate rules apply which mean you cannot visit your boat.

Overnight stays are not permitted. Hence the Trust advises against travelling long distances to visit your boat.

I'm puzzled by the interpretation: most canal boats are NOT outdoor open space. 

I urgently want to visit the boat - we have much to do but I don't think this permits us to do so.

5 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

As I understand it, IQ tests are developed in order to produce a normal distribution rather than helping to demonstrate that the actual population has a normally distributed IQ (if that means something other than a test score) Since performance on an IQ Test is to some extent dependent on other factors that can vary with time, some dubious assumptions can easily be made to justify the original claim. 

Absolutely, I agree. Therefore while what the score 'actually means' is open to debate; I don't see how the suggestion that 50% of people will achieve a <100 score can be other than correct.

9 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

You're at it again, aren't you!

How can you fully understand something that wasn't clear, and would be clarified as the week went by... those are pretty much your words, (or one set of them).

Did you see how many times CRT changed their interpretation.... of course you have.

This morning, cleaners could go to work, but estate agents couldn't. If the news is correct, tonight they can.

I will make it easier for you. The reality is the government want us all to stop at home where possible. That means you and I as non workers should not now go cavorting all over the country. My wife and I will not be changing anything we do, just out for shopping and nothing else. Thats the common sense bit the PM mentioned so that means.....................oh hang on I best not go any further as the common sense bit means er ...........................................

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I will make it easier for you. The reality is the government want us all to stop at home where possible. That means you and I as non workers should not now go cavorting all over the country. My wife and I will not be changing anything we do, just out for shopping and nothing else. Thats the common sense bit the PM mentioned so that means.....................oh hang on I best not go any further as the common sense bit means er ...........................................

That's why most golf courses are fully booked today isnt it.

4 people from different households meeting and wandering round a long park together. Something I'm not allowed to do with my kids and grandkids.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-guidance-on-access-to-green-spaces

So we can resume boating in out privately owned motorised craft if the navigation authority permit it.

Looking at those guidelines I can't see how CRT can justify not allowing boating to commence.

8 minutes ago, MartynG said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-guidance-on-access-to-green-spaces

So we can resume boating in out privately owned motorised craft if the navigation authority permit it.

That has been updated today, so that does seem like the green light to allow CRT if it wants to allow boating.  Certainly CRT have been saying on social media that they and the other navigation authorities have been seeking guidance from the government, and it does seem that this is it.

We await today’s email update from CRT when they have had time to have a meeting!

6 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Looking at those guidelines I can't see how CRT can justify not allowing boating to commence.

I agree. I  would expect they will update their advice today .

21 minutes ago, matty40s said:

4 people from different households meeting and wandering round a long park together. Something I'm not allowed to do with my kids and grandkids.

Yes, a prime example of people not using common sense. 

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes, a prime example of people not using common sense. 

It is deliberately intended as  a means of spreading the virus in controlled manner , as is the return to boating . People will quickly forget about social distancing.

On the TV the other night a line in and old Midsomer murders  episode  - some thing like   "I think hitting a stationary  ball is unsporting"

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

It is deliberately intended as  a means of spreading the virus in controlled manner , as is the return to boating . People will quickly forget about social distancing.

On the TV the other night a line in and old Midsomer murders  episode  - some thing like   "I think hitting a stationary  ball is unsporting"

I agree it's boring beyond belief but golf clubs have been opened to facilitate exercise and the golfing economy. If you are a say husband and wife in lock down you can now play golf. If you are a parent been in family lock down and were teaching all your kids to play you can again. The common sense bit is that obviously you can't meet up with a bunch of mates from other houses for a beer and a round of golf. 

14 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Golf, a good walk spoiled.

Indeed. Fair play to those who enjoy it though. My observations of those who play golf though is that, quite unlike any other sport or pastime, a majority of them appear to conduct themselves with an air of self elevated relative importance. 

45 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I am not one to defend this government but you have got that wrong, I am afraid. Only two players are allowed, not four, so only with one person from another household. As is the case with meeting relatives. And social distancing applies at all time.