Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I assume the issue is that when a narrowboat moves, it tends to move off its mooring for more than a day and therefore falls foul of the guidance about staying away from home.

I'm not the biggest fan of restriction, but it does say no boating; I interpret the notice's meaning as -  unless you're a liveaboard and need to access some necessary service. 

Edited by Higgs

From "our" marina today:

"To all our customers

Following the latest advice from HM Government on Sunday 10th May 2020, we are pleased and excited to announce that all our marinas are open to all our customers from Wednesday 13th May.

Please respect the guidelines regarding social distancing, hand-washing and face coverings, and please be respectful that we have people living at all our sites - the marina is their home. 

Although the sites will be open, leisure use customers are not allowed to stay on their boats, so only day trips to the marinas are permitted. It also makes sense for Inland marina customers to use their own toilets onboard their boats, not our shared facilities that are used by liveaboards.

Marina staff have been working tirelessly to look after your boats and the marinas for you, so we hope you’ll find everything in order when you visit. We’re doing everything we can to keep our community safe, both staff and customers, and to make our customers’ experience the best it can be.

The guidelines are clear – visiting second homes or holiday homes is not yet permitted, so you will not be able to stay on your boat (if it is not your primary residence).

It’s been a challenging time, and it’s not over yet, so please bear with us while we all adjust to ‘the new normal’."

Yay, it's a start? At least I can go and polish my brass. :captain:

15 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Precisely. If this goes on much longer less people will die but instead of 500 thousand deaths we will have nearly 67 million living a squalid life. I think the ones who want to stay in a perpetual state of lockdown have either retired or have some cushy government safe job or are being furloughed. The considerable numbers unable to avail themselves of any of this money are getting desperate.

Totally agree - construction workers/firms are supposed to be back but there will be no market for the homes they are building so if the government is paying them to stay home why wouldn't they - my neighbour, who fits this scenario, is staying off til furlough stops. 

Why are teachers suddenly controlling everything - if the kids don't go back to school the workforce won't be able to go back to work - and why do we need the traditional summer holiday period they have been off for 6 weeks these are exceptional times why has no-one been suggesting cancelling this needless break which would go in part way to helping recovery after all no-ones going on holiday

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Halsey said:

Why are teachers suddenly controlling everything - if the kids don't go back to school the workforce won't be able to go back to work - and why do we need the traditional summer holiday period they have been off for 6 weeks these are exceptional times why has no-one been suggesting cancelling this needless break which would go in part way to helping recovery after all no-ones going on holiday

A very good thought re the traditional summer holidays. Have you seen this raised anywhere else?

Edited by MHS
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Halsey said:

Totally agree - construction workers/firms are supposed to be back but there will be no market for the homes they are building so if the government is paying them to stay home why wouldn't they - my neighbour, who fits this scenario, is staying off til furlough stops. 

Because teachers who only get every weekend off and THIRTEEN weeks paid hoilday a year are soooooooooooooooooo hard done to innitt. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, MHS said:

A very good thought re the traditional summer holidays. Have you seen this raised anywhere else?

Not from Westminster, this involves a mature thought process, something our government arent capable of.

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, MHS said:

Not heard it mentioned in the news anywhere, but I expect plenty are thinking it. 

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Because teachers who only get every weekend off and THIRTEEN weeks paid hoilday a year are soooooooooooooooooo hard done to innitt. 

You obviously don't know any teachers or have any family members who are teachers.

The ones I know (secondary education) may not be in school on a weekend but they still have work to do, usually marking and/or lesson planning.

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

You obviously don't know any teachers or have any family members who are teachers.

The ones I know (secondary education) may not be in school on a weekend but they still have work to do, usually marking and/or lesson planning.

I do know some teachers, and that's correct - there's extra going on at home, for a teacher. 

25 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Why are teachers suddenly controlling everything - if the kids don't go back to school the workforce won't be able to go back to work

On Sunday it was announced that Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 will be going back from 1st June.

Yesterday, more detailed guidance was published and the Government expects these classes, basically, to be taught in half-sizes - i.e. 15 per class rather than 30, for distancing reasons. To do that, fairly obviously, you need twice as many teachers and twice as many classrooms. In other words, the full staff will be working, taking up the full building, for these three year groups.

Which would be fine. Except those teachers also still have to set work for years 2-5, assess all that work and give feedback to the kids and parents. There's also the vulnerable y2-5 kids and the children of key workers to accommodate and teach in school.

It doesn't add up as it is. So if you want even more kids to go back to school, as you seem to, the only way is for the Government to abandon social distancing in schools, so that classes can be taught at their usual sizes. That's a valid view, sure, but I hope you're confident in your epidemiological model that it won't cause Covid-19 transmission to go skyhigh again, because I'm not.

Alternatively, as the ever eloquent Mrs Melly says, "soooooooooooooooooo hard done to innitt".

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

On Sunday it was announced that Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 will be going back from 1st June.

Yesterday, more detailed guidance was published and the Government expects these classes, basically, to be taught in half-sizes - i.e. 15 per class rather than 30, for distancing reasons. To do that, fairly obviously, you need twice as many teachers and twice as many classrooms. In other words, the full staff will be working, taking up the full building, for these three year groups.

Which would be fine. Except those teachers also still have to set work for years 2-5, assess all that work and give feedback to the kids and parents. There's also the vulnerable y2-5 kids and the children of key workers to accommodate and teach in school.

It doesn't add up as it is. So if you want even more kids to go back to school, as you seem to, the only way is for the Government to abandon social distancing in schools, so that classes can be taught at their usual sizes. That's a valid view, sure, but I hope you're confident in your epidemiological model that it won't cause Covid-19 transmission to go skyhigh again, because I'm not.

Alternatively, as the ever eloquent Mrs Melly says, "soooooooooooooooooo hard done to innitt".

There is a question mark over the possibility of transmission, but, could the year classes be split into half one week, half the next, and repeat. It's not ideal, but then, what is at the moment. 

Yep, it doesn't help, with working parents. 

Edited by Higgs

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Thank you for your point.

I was not a teacher but my wife was and I still have several friends who are teachers. Primary and secondary. I don't know one of them who works a 9 to 3.45  Monday to Friday 40 week a year pattern. More like 8 to 5 with 1/2 hour lunch followed by evening prep and weekends thrown in for good measure. As for 6 week summer holidays, 3 - 4 at the most.  A nephews wife is a teacher,  recently when she was in school  doing prep she had to phone a parent on some point. The parent simply wouldn't accept that she was still in school working . It was 7.30 pm.  On Sunday 1st March this year I was at a family gathering in an other nephews home. His sister- in -laws family were all there but she wasn't. She was in school preparing for an OFSTED visit. 4 weeks later she was in Stoke Manderville hospital on a ventilator for 9 days. She survived.   

5 minutes ago, Slim said:

Thank you for your point.

I was not a teacher but my wife was and I still have several friends who are teachers. Primary and secondary. I don't know one of them who works a 9 to 3.45  Monday to Friday 40 week a year pattern. More like 8 to 5 with 1/2 hour lunch followed by evening prep and weekends thrown in for good measure. As for 6 week summer holidays, 3 - 4 at the most.  A nephews wife is a teacher,  recently when she was in school  doing prep she had to phone a parent on some point. The parent simply wouldn't accept that she was still in school working . It was 7.30 pm.  On Sunday 1st March this year I was at a family gathering in an other nephews home. His sister- in -laws family were all there but she wasn't. She was in school preparing for an OFSTED visit. 4 weeks later she was in Stoke Manderville hospital on a ventilator for 9 days. She survived.   

The teacher part just went into the background, on reading about the family gatherings. Glad the person is on the mend.

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

My daughter is a teacher. She is DESPERATE to get back to work in order to help her children. She would happily work through the traditional summer break in order to try and help the kids make up for lost time. She is not alone.

I have seen first hand the effect of the lack of schooling. I doubt my (year one) granddaughter is alone but both her reading and writing has definitely not progressed over recent weeks and if anything has actually gone backwards. Parents can only do so much (and as grandparents we can do very little)  but she is definitely missing the input of a professionally qualified teacher.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

It's obvious you have never been a teacher, and have never even been close to a teacher who does the job in a professional manner. (I agree there are some who don't, but the same can be said about police officers, for example).  

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

I do know some teachers, and that's correct - there's extra going on at home, for a teacher. 

There is extra going on at school, too - teachers don't only work 9 til 3 when the pupils are there, 

9 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

It's obvious you have never been a teacher, and have never even been close to a teacher who does the job in a professional manner. (I agree there are some who don't, but the same can be said about police officers, for example).  

There is extra going on at school, too - teachers don't only work 9 til 3 when the pupils are there, 

Minus breaks. 

How mean spirited that a conversation on a boating forum in the middle of the working day about when we can enjoy our leisure activity with greater freedoms descends into criticism of crucial and dedicated keyworkers. I know plenty of teachers of different age groups and they work like troopers, do not get the recognition they deserve. Anyone who thinks they are overpaid, currently sitting idle or do the same when the kids aren't in school in normal times is deluded. 

Edited by BilgePump
  • Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Proper Charlie said:

My daughter is a teacher. She is DESPERATE to get back to work in order to help her children. She would happily work through the traditional summer break in order to try and help the kids make up for lost time. She is not alone.

It is common sense.

The idea of schooling is to educate as best we can given that resources are finite. 

Primary parental resposibility , ie their first duty is provide for their child as best they can and in the best interest of the child.

It is imperative that as a wealthy society we should indeed provide free education, but I think that parents should be focussed on a lifestyle to help prepare their child for the future, some do, some don't,

Young parents may not realise how hard it can be to be a parent, the instant arrival of a Baby soon changes ll that! ?

I don't have children of course, having  come from an authoritarian,  mostly single parent home.

I am only an armchair aunt so I have avoided anything to do with the nitty gritty, that is for the real parents to deal with, but happy to tidy up their toys and make Lego forts. ?

Edited by LadyG

26 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Wondering why you needed to let me in on the fact that you knew that as well as myself. 

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

That's a very old chestnut -it was even around when my parents were teachers and I was at primary school ()now that's a long time ago!). 

I would not recommend repeating it within social distance of any current teacher. You might not need the virus to finish you off!

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It is common sense.

The idea of schooling is to educate as best we can given that resources are finite. 

Primary parental resposibility , ie their first duty is provide for their child as est they can and in the best interest of the child.

It is imperative that as a wealthy society we should indeed provide free education, but I think that parents should be working to help the child, some do, some don't, some don't realise how hard it can be to be a parent, the instant arrival of a Baby soon changes ll that!

I don't have children of course ,but am an armchair aunt, I have avoided anything to do with the nitty gritty, that is for the real parents to deal with, but happy to tidy up their toys and make Lego forts.

Don't stand on that Lego whilst you're tidying up. It should be banned under the Geneva Convention.

2 hours ago, MHS said:

I believe it to be an original thought ........................... but I'm sure it isn't!

1 hour ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

None of the above but why is the "summer holiday" set in stone in a world where nothing else is or ever will be again.

FYI Mum and Dad were teachers ex wife and ex mother in law were teachers so I am not anti teachers its just nurses have had to put up with and live with PPE as it is but teachers are complaining and seem to be being able to influence far more

How can the economy get back to normal if kids aren't at school................

Edited by Halsey