Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Precisely. If this goes on much longer less people will die but instead of 500 thousand deaths we will have nearly 67 million living a squalid life. I think the ones who want to stay in a perpetual state of lockdown have either retired or have some cushy government safe job or are being furloughed. The considerable numbers unable to avail themselves of any of this money are getting desperate.

I don't agree - the economy would have taken a hammering without lockdown, people were already staying at home, shop turnover in Frome Town Centre had dropped through the floor in early March, workers were getting ill and companies getting overstretched with sick leave, that was going to get worse, far worse if the pandemic was allowed to run it's natural course. 

As the Washington Post put it - it isn't a choice between Grandma and the Economy because it turns out Grandma IS the Economy

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

Thinking this through:

When you go through the first lock, where someone else has left a lump of virus, you get it on your gloves. If you then touch your face, (mouth, nose, eyes), you become infected. Also, when you get to the next lock, you leave a lump of the virus from your gloves on the lock, for someone else to pick up. It's unlikely that you will be washing your gloves between locks, and unlikely that you will be disposing of them and putting on a new pair for each lock.

If you weren't wearing gloves, you could wash your hands after each lock, doing your best not to touch your face until after you have washed your hands... and so on.

I'm no expert, but I think your glove wearing strategy is a really good way to become infected, and to spread the virus, whether you become infected or not.

I have no problem with being proved wrong :) 

Blimey Richard I think you have got something right!!  :o

5 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Please be quiet, the grown-ups are talking

The bloke, (Smelly),  is on a different planet to us... in one breath he says it's all clear and easy to understand yet, in another breath, he says that it will all be clarified in due course which, by default, means that it is not clear.

No doubt he will continue to swear that black is white in a whole variety of areas, and contradict himself on a regular basis... all as part of the endearing forum persona that we have all come to love :( 

6 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

I am surprised by the responses to Boris' TV performance.  I thought he came over very well and far, far, better than I expected.  I loathe the guy and expected his usual dithering standard.

There are more details to come this afternoon, and the "Stay Alert" tag is not brilliant, but his personal performance was good. He looked worn down by his experience of the virus and less BS ish.

You seem to be saying that he "put on a good show", despite talking bollox. Perhaps that would be appropriate for Morecambe and Wise, but not for the Prime Minister of the country, at such a serious time.

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

They can and should be able to, if it impacts on the safety of their own employees.

Just a thought.

Given that Boris has said that everyone should go to work if they cant do the job from home, unless marinas are one of the banned businesses, it would seem that Boris is expecting them to open for business, and take steps to protect their employees.

Just a thought :) 

25 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Thinking this through:

When you go through the first lock, where someone else has left a lump of virus, you get it on your gloves. If you then touch your face, (mouth, nose, eyes), you become infected. Also, when you get to the next lock, you leave a lump of the virus from your gloves on the lock, for someone else to pick up. It's unlikely that you will be washing your gloves between locks, and unlikely that you will be disposing of them and putting on a new pair for each lock.

If you weren't wearing gloves, you could wash your hands after each lock, doing your best not to touch your face until after you have washed your hands... and so on.

I'm no expert, but I think your glove wearing strategy is a really good way to become infected, and to spread the virus, whether you become infected or not.

I have no problem with being proved wrong :) 

This is exactly the circumstances where the new advice from Boris about ‘stay alert’ is relevant. The government cannot control this virus alone, there is a need to take personal responsibility. So, as a responsible individual, after touching a common surface area and before touching ones face, it would be prudent to either wash hands or use an alcohol gel. This simple action would ensure, the individual neither contracts or passes on the virus.

• Greenie 3

13 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

The bloke, (Smelly),  is on a different planet to us... in one breath he says it's all clear and easy to understand yet, in another breath, he says that it will all be clarified in due course which, by default, means that it is not clear.

No doubt he will continue to swear that black is white in a whole variety of areas, and contradict himself on a regular basis... all as part of the endearing forum persona that we have all come to love :( 

You seem to be saying that he "put on a good show", despite talking bollox. Perhaps that would be appropriate for Morecambe and Wise, but not for the Prime Minister of the country, at such a serious time.

Like I said in one word last night and correct again as I was to the question can we cruise again, the answer I gave as in NO was precisley right. Why are you unable to understand something so basic and 100 percent correct? Do you get absolutely everything wrong as it does appear so? It was obviously a NO last night and its stilla NO today ;) Of course I could give a 4 page essay like you incorrectly do but the correct one word answer was all that was needed.

• Greenie 1

Like I said in one word last night and correct again as I was to the question can we cruise again, the answer I gave as in NO was precisley right. Why are you unable to understand something so basic and 100 percent correct? Do you get absolutely everything wrong as it does appear so? It was obviously a NO last night and its stilla NO today ;) Of course I could give a 4 page essay like you incorrectly do but the correct one word answer was all that was needed.

You were also absolute last night in your answer to wether we could now visit our boats. It was also just “NO”. It was also precisely incorrect, at least according to CRT today. A one word answer doesn’t always suffice.

" in one breath he says it's all clear and easy to understand yet, in another breath, he says that it will all be clarified in due course which, by default, means that it is not clear."

are you saying that you didn't do this? (albeit in another thread)

11 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'm going on what D.Raab said on breakfast news this morning.  He talked about meeting friends - plural.

His boss made the position on this very clear this evening. About the only clear statement . . . 

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

It means you can go to your boat, fiddle with it, if you have a canoe you can get it out and paddle off down the canal , dodging fishing competitions, and paddle back to the boat you arent allowed to move. 

However, if you live in Wales, you just can't. 

So they were locked, to stop boats coming in or out, but then they were unlocked, to let boats in, and then they are unlocked, to let the working boat in, or out......but you havnt, gone out...

Do you see a pattern here...

I do, I am not allowed to cruise now is the pattern! And that came in at pretty much the same time as the lockdown, so why would I break the rules? Especially as the water points are very few and far between on our waterway.

9 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

" in one breath he says it's all clear and easy to understand yet, in another breath, he says that it will all be clarified in due course which, by default, means that it is not clear."

are you saying that you didn't do this? (albeit in another thread)

Going cruising tomorrow Richard or would that be a NO?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

You may be able to put up with it, I've had enough.  So I won't be seeing any more it.

View this email in your browser

e222ab91-74a5-45d9-a1b6-569bc8afb08f.png

Coronavirus & boating update, 12 May 2020

Hello Boater!,

The Government has now set out some detail about the first stages of easing the current Coronavirus lockdown. These first steps come in to force tomorrow (Weds 13 May).

With a view to boating, your two main questions are likely to be: Can I visit my boat? And, can I go for a cruise on my boat? These are both covered below.

Can I visit my boat?
The latest government guidance states that ‘Day trips to outdoor open space, in a private vehicle, are permitted… irrespective of distance. You should practise social distancing from other people outside your household.’

Our interpretation of this is that you can now visit your boat – provided both you and your boat are in England. Clearly you will have to confirm that your mooring provider has opened the site where your boat is moored and that you can access it safely. Alternatively, they may be able to carry out checks on your behalf if they are continuing to restrict access.

In Wales, separate rules apply which mean you cannot visit your boat.

Overnight stays are not permitted. Hence the Trust advises against travelling long distances to visit your boat.

Can I go out on my boat for a cruise?
No. Boat movement is currently restricted; only those living on their boat can make short essential trips to facilities or services – as set out on our website.

We are currently reviewing when navigation might re-open, in conjunction with other navigation authorities, and hope to make a further announcement over the next few days about our plans for reopening canals and rivers for navigation.

As always, please follow the latest Government’s advice.

We are constantly reviewing our own guidance in light of Government updates so do please regularly check our website.

Best wishes, stay safe,
Damian Kemp,
Boating communications manager,
Canal & River Trust

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

You may be able to put up with it, I've had enough.  So I won't be seeing any more it.

come on, I though you generally avoid getting personal. People have different views and personalities. :)

Anyway, think you should be able to start boating now, if locks are open. Be prepared to be judged harshly by fellow boaters and non-boaters though.

Edited by restlessnomad

It's interesting that the allowance to visit your boat is backed up by Government guidance, but the restriction on movement doesn't seem to be backed up by anything. 

Under the paragraph "Can I visit my boat", CRT are clearly not defining a boat as a second home, therefore visiting it is allowed.  Surely it should follow then that day cruises on the boat should also be allowed, since their is nothing in the new guidance which can be interpreted as forbidding it.

I expect CRT will relax further in the next few days.

1 minute ago, restlessnomad said:

come on, I though you generally avoid getting personal. People have different views and personalities. :)

Anyway, think you should be able to start boating now, if locks are open. Be prepared to be judged harshly by fellow boaters and non-boaters though.

I welcome different viewpoints but there are limits to my tolerance levels.  When a person continually contradicts themselves and then resorts to deflecting and insulting when it's called out, I see no further point in engaging with them.

2 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

Nothing has past us at least since saturday, we were not here before then so dont know and as I type a boat has just come up the lock.

6 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

View this email in your browser

e222ab91-74a5-45d9-a1b6-569bc8afb08f.png

Coronavirus & boating update, 12 May 2020

Hello Boater!,

The Government has now set out some detail about the first stages of easing the current Coronavirus lockdown. These first steps come in to force tomorrow (Weds 13 May).

With a view to boating, your two main questions are likely to be: Can I visit my boat? And, can I go for a cruise on my boat? These are both covered below.

Can I visit my boat?
The latest government guidance states that ‘Day trips to outdoor open space, in a private vehicle, are permitted… irrespective of distance. You should practise social distancing from other people outside your household.’

Our interpretation of this is that you can now visit your boat – provided both you and your boat are in England. Clearly you will have to confirm that your mooring provider has opened the site where your boat is moored and that you can access it safely. Alternatively, they may be able to carry out checks on your behalf if they are continuing to restrict access.

In Wales, separate rules apply which mean you cannot visit your boat.

Overnight stays are not permitted. Hence the Trust advises against travelling long distances to visit your boat.

Can I go out on my boat for a cruise?
No. Boat movement is currently restricted; only those living on their boat can make short essential trips to facilities or services – as set out on our website.

We are currently reviewing when navigation might re-open, in conjunction with other navigation authorities, and hope to make a further announcement over the next few days about our plans for reopening canals and rivers for navigation.

As always, please follow the latest Government’s advice.

We are constantly reviewing our own guidance in light of Government updates so do please regularly check our website.

Best wishes, stay safe,
Damian Kemp,
Boating communications manager,
Canal & River Trust

As expected innitt.

5 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

It's interesting that the allowance to visit your boat is backed up by Government guidance, but the restriction on movement doesn't seem to be backed up by anything. 

Under the paragraph "Can I visit my boat", CRT are clearly not defining a boat as a second home, therefore visiting it is allowed.  Surely it should follow then that day cruises on the boat should also be allowed, since their is nothing in the new guidance which can be interpreted as forbidding it.

I expect CRT will relax further in the next few days.

I welcome different viewpoints but there are limits to my tolerance levels.  When a person continually contradicts themselves and then resorts to deflecting and insulting when it's called out, I see no further point in engaging with them.

You cant cruise unless it's for the exceptions 

Just now, roland elsdon said:

So I can drive 200 miles with ganoo on my roof buying coffee petrol and sandwiches canoe down the cut portaging at locks, or sit blocking towpaths drowning worms,  but not move a boat from its mooring. Bizarre 

it certainly is Bizarre, thats for sure lol. I spose its to stop use of locks and meeting others and spreading the virus that way?

4 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

So I can drive 200 miles with ganoo on my roof buying coffee petrol and sandwiches canoe down the cut portaging at locks, or sit blocking towpaths drowning worms,  but not move a boat from its mooring. Bizarre 

I assume the issue is that when a narrowboat moves, it tends to move off its mooring for more than a day and therefore falls foul of the guidance about staying away from home.

Edited by doratheexplorer