Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

Just now, robtheplod said:

That has changed since this morning...… not great if you visit your boat and it takes more than 8 hours to fix, you'll have to go home and come back the next day?

Another one that’s open to interpretation. You could set off to do a job in a certain amount of time and expect to return home the same day. The job might taken longer than you thought so you might unexpectedly have to stay onboard. 

1 minute ago, Ianws said:

Another one that’s open to interpretation. You could set off to do a job in a certain amount of time and expect to return home the same day. The job might taken longer than you thought so you might unexpectedly have to stay onboard. 

Indeed. I can see its designed to stop you living onboard ('having a holiday' as they call it), but seems a bit silly since staying onboard to carry out maintenances does not impact on anyone.

12 minutes ago, trane said:

I think CART may have updated the e-mail they sent out this morning. This is on their website

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus

Update: Monday 11 May

Last night the government announced the first steps in lifting restrictions on outdoor activities and is now allowing people to drive to spend time outdoors with members of the same household. Based on this decision, from Wednesday 13 May we are lifting restrictions on boat owners visiting their boats.

At this stage general navigation still isn’t permitted and boats should only be used for minimal travel, for example for essential services or repairs. Where visiting, people should expect to return home the same day. We will be reviewing when we can restore navigation in light of the new government advice. In the meantime, mooring exemptions are extended by a further two weeks until Saturday 23 May.

It has changed a bit but I think CRT at least are reacting quickly and trying to give as much info and clarification as possible for boat owners just now.

Even under this small relaxation will be a relief for many who have not been able to visit the boat to check it out for the last 2 months.  It doesn't help me just now as I live in Wales and the regulations do not allow me to travel for that reason.

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Is it a complete accident that the URL reads as if it's the government's strategy that is going to be rebuilt, rather than the economy? 

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

If CRT and Govt are happy with people returning to boats then Marinas surely can't prevent you? (or shouldn't be able to?)

They can and should be able to, if it impacts on the safety of their own employees.

Just a thought.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Is it a complete accident that the URL reads as if it's the government's strategy that is going to be rebuilt, rather than the economy? 

I seems to me that the governments strategy gets rebuilt every time a different minister opens their mouth or someone in the media points out what a load of codswallop a specific idea is.

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Care to expand? The previous advice was for no unnecessary travel. This was the basis for boats not to move. That advice has changed. 

Still a NO then.

14 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

They can and should be able to, if it impacts on the safety of their own employees.

Just a thought.

People visiting their own boat (for a day visit only so a few hours perhaps)  in a marina need have no contact with marina employees . I would expect communal toilets to be closed - use your own on your boat. Elsan disposal if required  by prior appointment . The marina office/shop can remain closed. Bills can be paid over the phone of by bank transfer.

If self powered craft are allowed as is maggot drowning who as we all know clutter up the towpath at the best of times then I see no good reason why you can’t take a powered boat out. In fact if I didn’t have mine in bits at the moment I’d be out there. Much less of a risk to yourself & others than going to Tesco 

• Greenie 1

Further guidance issued following the issue of the 50 page document talks about 'recreation' being allowed rather than 'exercise'.

Boating is recreation, yes?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing

Some of the changes being made to the regulations will not take effect until Wednesday 13 May – where relevant, this is flagged in this guidance. Until that time, you should not: exercise with people from other households, spend time outdoors for recreation, use a sports court, or move home unless reasonably necessary.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

People visiting their own boat (for a day visit only so a few hours perhaps)  in a marina need have no contact with marina employees . I would expect communal toilets to be closed - use your own on your boat. Elsan disposal if required  by prior appointment . The marina office/shop can remain closed. Bills can be paid over the phone of by bank transfer.

Yes - that's why I wrote "if".

11 minutes ago, MartynG said:

…. especially on my Marina that has one staff member and an office that is almost always closed...

18 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Why cant people just wait?

Lets see what CRT have to say over the next couple of days. They have said no body needs to move so far, so what exactly is the problem?

We might have to wait for a year for the all clear, there may never be an all clear. Uncertainty adds to anxiety, a mental health problem.

I think a softly softly aproach is essential, drip drip drip take every opportunity for small releases rather than saying," OK, all go and do whatever you want", if it gets out of control we will lockdown again..

Edited by LadyG

This statement from the Boris in the commons  is not going to help leisure boaters who want to do the DIY or is it ? anybody's guess.!!!!

"We don't want to see people travelling to another home for a holiday or a second home," the prime minister says.

"That is not what this is about.

"It is about allowing people the pleasure of going to parks and places of natural beauty."

I can see a retraction from C&RT appearing tomoz.

Heyho

6 minutes ago, Fender151 said:

This statement from the Boris in the commons  is not going to help leisure boaters who want to do the DIY or is it ? anybody's guess.!!!!

"We don't want to see people travelling to another home for a holiday or a second home," the prime minister says.

"That is not what this is about.

"It is about allowing people the pleasure of going to parks and places of natural beauty."

I can see a retraction from C&RT appearing tomoz.

Heyho

I think it will depend on what is meant by a second home. Most folk think of a second home as being a house, and a boat as being ... a boat.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Like the government making a complete boris of it all?

Stay at home, unless you need to go to work.
If you don't need to go to work then stay at home.

Only use the bus if you don't have a bike or car.
If you don't have a car, then use a bike or go on the bus.

You can go out and do more than exercising and shopping.
But don't go out or go shopping unless you really have to.

Ian people have to continue catching the virus, their is no vaccine and might never be a vaccine so the aim is to control the spread so that the NHS can cope. Or thats what seems to be happening to me. Maybe you have a magic wand that fix it? because I know if the government had one it would have been waved by now! As for going to work they have to we cant keep on racking up debt like we are furlough needs to end and fast

• Greenie 4

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Ian people have to continue catching the virus, their is no vaccine and might never be a vaccine so the aim is to control the spread so that the NHS can cope. Or thats what seems to be happening to me. Maybe you have a magic wand that fix it? because I know if the government had one it would have been waved by now! As for going to work they have to we cant keep on racking up debt like we are furlough needs to end and fast

I thought you were going to cruise out and stay isolating in the Humber Estuary for 3 months?

20 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Precisely. If this goes on much longer less people will die but instead of 500 thousand deaths we will have nearly 67 million living a squalid life. I think the ones who want to stay in a perpetual state of lockdown have either retired or have some cushy government safe job or are being furloughed. The considerable numbers unable to avail themselves of any of this money are getting desperate.

• Greenie 1

So, the government and CRT seem to be saying we can visit our boats. Government says we can travel for recreation which could to some people include a bit of boating. CRT say general navigation is closed and travel should be minimal and for things like essential services and repairs. Make of all that what you will!

Edited by Ianws
Fat fingers

As I read it boat movement has not changed - essential movement for the residential community only. The added bit was we can visit our leisure boats but not cruise them. It is still clouded though as it has been reported that this afternoon friend Boris said no visiting holiday or second homes. So where does that leave us?

47 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I thought you were going to cruise out and stay isolating in the Humber Estuary for 3 months?

I was but electric locks were locked!! Then they were opened to allow boats onto moorings with facilities.  As far as I know the Exol pride is coming up tomorrow so passage with lockkeeper is happening for the big boats?

6 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

For me, just visiting the boat is "boating".

You need to think about the definitions of long distance, and minimal, in order to rationalise a bit of cruising.

My boat isn't at the bottom of the street but ;ast year at this time I would drive over at first light for brekkie and check it out and back home before the morning rush hour and got on with a day's work. Kept my sanity at a hard time. Have played the game and kept away for the last seven weeks but going back by road or towpath thjis week.

37 minutes ago, Traveller said:

As I read it boat movement has not changed - essential movement for the residential community only. The added bit was we can visit our leisure boats but not cruise them. It is still clouded though as it has been reported that this afternoon friend Boris said no visiting holiday or second homes. So where does that leave us?

It means you can go to your boat, fiddle with it, if you have a canoe you can get it out and paddle off down the canal , dodging fishing competitions, and paddle back to the boat you arent allowed to move. 

However, if you live in Wales, you just can't. 

29 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I was but electric locks were locked!! Then they were opened to allow boats onto moorings with facilities.  As far as I know the Exol pride is coming up tomorrow so passage with lockkeeper is happening for the big boats?

So they were locked, to stop boats coming in or out, but then they were unlocked, to let boats in, and then they are unlocked, to let the working boat in, or out......but you havnt, gone out...

Do you see a pattern here...

• Haha 2