Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

The RYA seem to have interpreted it as saying that all boating is permissible again

There is a  huge difference between sailing a yacht along the english channel hundreds of meters offshore and travelling along a canal through a city with pedestrians on the bank. Yes you probably are over 2 metre's away but.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'm going on what D.Raab said on breakfast news this morning.  He talked about meeting friends - plural.

Looks like he said it on R4 too:  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-lockdown-boris-johnson-dominic-raab-downing-street-latest-a9507981.html

When even the cabinet can't make sense of what's going on, what chance do the rest of us have?

19 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Having just done a 75 mile trip from Lapworth to Congleton, I can report that this is not true. The canals we traversed were all usable as normal, with the exception of Harecastle tunnel, which needed to be booked and is only open for booking two days a week. It's true that the Macclesfield North of here and the Leeds and Liverpool are closed due to lack of water, but that's a tactic to preserve scarce supplies for when re-opening does happen. I suspect that those in charge of keeping those two waterways in water will be hoping for an extended delay, or leaving them closed longer than the rest of the system.  In general the canals, at least the ones we used are available for use, as CRT promised.

MP.

Did you meet with any negativity from other boaters, walkers or householders?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, rustynewbery said:

CRT have lifted the restriction - just wait to see if marinas do the same. Still not going anywhere yet

Not all

17 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

The RYA seem to have interpreted it as saying that all boating is permissible again

Remember they are mainly sailing, canoeing which are water sports.

3 minutes ago, Detling said:

There is a  huge difference between sailing a yacht along the english channel hundreds of meters offshore and travelling along a canal through a city with pedestrians on the bank. Yes you probably are over 2 metre's away but.

The RYA represents all forms of boating including inland waterways . I think going to sea is far more hazardous in that if something goes wrong the rescue unavoidably involves people being in close contact. If a narrowboat breaks down it is less likely to be an emergency on the same scale. There is no need for a yacht to make  a sea trip. I think the RYA have gone too far.

The C&RT advice that visiting the boat is okay but navigating is not okay unless unavoidable for essential reasons  is the more sensible  advice.

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Did you meet with any negativity from other boaters, walkers or householders?

None. There were signs saying something like "Essential use: is your journey really necessary?" at the bottom of a garden in Rugeley. Lots of walkers were obviously new to the canals and had not previously seen a boat traverse a lock.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I’m not sure there is any point in trying to second guess the detail. There will be a 50 page document published later today, after that we can pick it to pieces. The changes don’t apply until Wednesday anyway.

I guess that is why Wednesday was chosen.

33 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Having just done a 75 mile trip from Lapworth to Congleton, I can report that this is not true. The canals we traversed were all usable as normal, with the exception of Harecastle tunnel, which needed to be booked and is only open for booking two days a week. It's true that the Macclesfield North of here and the Leeds and Liverpool are closed due to lack of water, but that's a tactic to preserve scarce supplies for when re-opening does happen. I suspect that those in charge of keeping those two waterways in water will be hoping for an extended delay, or leaving them closed longer than the rest of the system.  In general the canals, at least the ones we used are available for use, as CRT promised.

MP.

Oh well that’s good. I got the wrong impression obvs.

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

you are soooooooo bad ?, poor man has his primary residence at number 10. , He then had to leave to reside in local hospital due to catching the disease, apparently it was "touch and go" for a while. fortunately they found a spare ventilator!

And seemingly he had to go to his country residence to convalesce. The peasants were sent back to their tower block 

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I aree and the easy to understand brief summary given last night will be clarified over the next few days. Those that are picking holes in everything are trying to find loopholes, basic story is the same as it was exept for a few small lifting items. looking for loopholes is dick head work.

So... in your first post on this, you said only one thing had changed, ( work), and said that it was clear, and easy to understand. You were obviously confused, because despite mentioning the exercise thing, you didnt realise that this was added up to TWO things that had changed. In your next post on the subject you talked about the exercise thing as an additional thing. Now you are talking about "a few small lifting items". Like I said yesterday - you don't seem to have a clue.

Even now you are saying that things will be clarified over the next few days..... by default, this means that things are not clear.

Then you talk about people looking for loopholes - nobody is looking for loopholes, they/we are merely wondering what on earth Boris meant when he "lifted the few small items).

It's a good job that nobody is relying on you for advice regarding this thing...... 

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

Do you have a reference for the permission to angling or golfing please ? 

Sport

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'm going on what D.Raab said on breakfast news this morning.  He talked about meeting friends - plural.

Haven't they since said he was wrong?  Why do I keep thinking of beer and bodily functions!

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

The RYA  do allegedly cover all forms of boating and do have instructors on inland waterways . However they are very biased towards  sailing which in most of its forms involves a good deal more exercise than that required to crew a motor boat. 

The RYA have gone too far here. We don't want is masses of people out on the water just yet ...... do we?

I think it may be wise to stay put and observe the results. Any increase in cases and death rates is not going to be instant . 

It's not about what "we want", it's about what the government is allowing, or various bodies interpretation of it..

Every individual is free to follow their own lockdown and distancing preferences, in terms of "staying put and observe the results". 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, davem399 said:

Indeed, there's little point in us theorising in what we can and cannot do until there is some flesh on the bones of what was said by Boris yesterday.  Naturally, it was light on detail, given just a ten minute slot on the TV, it will be interesting to learn what is allowed and how that compares to what people believe will materialise.

But it was a recorded presentation with the opportunity to edit and clarify in advance. In my previous existence I gave many a presentation within limited time. Also I think you will find that it went on for much longer. (perhaps given it was Boris that was the problem). I watched a video of it and I'm sure it said 31 minutes and some seconds . I know I gave up watching at about 26 minutes 

32 minutes ago, MartynG said:

The RYA represents all forms of boating including inland waterways .

Or at least, it claims to.

Formally it's the national sports governing body for boating, yachting and sailing. Canal boating isn't a sport (well, apart from the BCN Challenge...), and generally the RYA has about as much relevance to canals as British Cycling does to riding a bike to the shops.

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

2 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Damian speaketh; people can now visit their boats, but not cruise.

Not quite:

" the Trust is lifting any remaining restrictions on boat owners visiting their boats though the Trust advises against travelling long distances unless it is essential to do so."

Depends how you define short, medium, and long, distances. My typical weekend away on the boat involves a 4-6 mile cruise, mooring up in the countryside, then a 4-6 mile cruise back to the mooring.

Personally, I would call that a short distance.

2 hours ago, Rickent said:

So we can can visit boats but not go boating.

For me, just visiting the boat is "boating".

You need to think about the definitions of long distance, and minimal, in order to rationalise a bit of cruising.

5 minutes ago, Slim said:

But it was a recorded presentation with the opportunity to edit and clarify in advance. In my previous existence I gave many a presentation within limited time. Also I think you will find that it went on for much longer. (perhaps given it was Boris that was the problem). I watched a video of it and I'm sure it said 31 minutes and some seconds . I know I gave up watching at about 26 minutes 

I watched on BBC 1, and it was over before 7:15pm, having started at 7:00 pm.  Was it on longer elsewhere?

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Definitely two people from each household.

From the BBC

Rules on meeting family
The changes in guidelines will also allow two people from different households to meet in a park if they stay 2m (6ft) apart.

Oh hang on.

Even more confusion

However, the UK government put out a clarification saying people can only meet one person outside at a time - not two people, such as both parents, at the same time.

It comes after Mr Raab incorrectly told the Today programme that someone could meet both their parents at the same time "if there's 2m apart".

Turning into a bit of a shambles when not everybody in govt. is on the same page.

I think I heard Hancock tell us that "Stay Alert" means "Stay at Home"

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

That’s what it reads to me, 2 people from different household, ie one from each household  The document should hopefully make it clear.

Assuming that is the case, nothing has changed..... "gatherings" of no more than 2 people were forbidden, unless excepted.

9 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Not quite:

" the Trust is lifting any remaining restrictions on boat owners visiting their boats though the Trust advises against travelling long distances unless it is essential to do so."

Depends how you define short, medium, and long, distances. My typical weekend away on the boat involves a 4-6 mile cruise, mooring up in the countryside, then a 4-6 mile cruise back to the mooring.

Personally, I would call that a short distance.

I read it as 'travelling' being getting to the boat, rather than on the boat itself. It's not particularly clear though.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

You are still clueless as usual monsieur. Why not ask the plonker who runs your country and stop sticking your neb into our country :rolleyes:

In which sense is he clueless..... ????

you have also stated that the speech was not clear, but things would be clarified...... this was after you had said that it was extremely clear, easy to understand, and only one thing had changed, despite mentioning 2 things that had changed.

Edited by Richard10002
to add some question marks

7 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I read it as 'travelling' being getting to the boat, rather than on the boat itself. It's not particularly clear though.

Me too, but the government advised it was ok to drive to other locations, no mention of distance.

• Greenie 1