Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

58 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No thanks, I am just jesting about Boris, he is the PM, but a bit of a clown, I have no real interest in Politics. I don't vote, except  in The Referendum, when I was in Scotland.

I could stop posting, or you could put me on ignore if you are fed up with my moaning, I do sometimes post positive stuff, but it gets brushed side, negativity gets a positiv!

Comments keep the forum going, the technical side is brilliant, but at the moment we are all in a heightened state of anxiety, which I freely admit to, and very few interesting technical issues.

Keeping to the rules/guidelines etc, means I sometimes don't actually see anyone to talk to unless I make a positive effort. Sorry if I have prattled on too much. I'll go over to The Dark Side, but even then, the most interesting stuff is about fox with a spasm.

Signing out.

jo

Back again, not sure why my troll is unimpressed, I should care,.

I'm unimpressed by the comment  "I'll go over to The Dark Side, but even then, the most interesting stuff is about fox with a spasm."  ...particularly as the help you received there meant that you learnt how to start your engine!  

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I was surprised to see it on the previous posting. I have not received one. Are we sure it is genuine as normally emails from Damian are addressed by first name and this one is addressed to "boater"?

I received the exact same email but was addressed to me personally,  so yes, it is genuine.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Silebyman said:

I've had the email as well - can visit boat, but not take it out for cruise is how I am reading it

It no longer says essential boat movement only, that's changed, minimal travel now.

If angling, watersports like canoeing etc are allowed from wednesday, then so is boating.

• Greenie 1

Just now, matty40s said:

It no longer says essential boat movement only, that's changed, minimal travel now.

If angling, watersports like canoeing etc are allowed from wednesday, then so is boating.

Are you boating from Wednesday?

I am chomping at the bit here.

25 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

View this email in your browser

e222ab91-74a5-45d9-a1b6-569bc8afb08f.png

Coronavirus & boating update, 11 May 2020

Hello Boater!,

With the Government announcing a first step in lifting restrictions on outdoor activities, and allowing people to drive to spend time outdoors with members of the same household, from Wednesday, the Trust is lifting any remaining restrictions on boat owners visiting their boats though the Trust advises against travelling long distances unless it is essential to do so.

At this stage we continue to advise that boats should only be used for minimal travel. Angling and watersports (canoeing, Kayaking and SUP), for exercise, can also resume on Wednesday and we are reviewing when we can restore navigation in light of the new government advice.

In the meantime, mooring exemptions are extended by a further two weeks until 23 May.

As you may have seen before the weekend, we’ve created a survey to help us understand what your plans are for boating after the lockdown. Thanks to the 4,000 or so who’ve taken part but if you haven’t yet there’s still time. You’ll find the survey here – it’ll only take a couple of minutes to complete.

As ever, we’ll be constantly reviewing, and updating, our FAQs as more detail comes from government so do please regularly check back.

Best wishes, stay safe,
Damian Kemp,
Boating communications manager,
Canal & River Trust

color-facebook-48.png

color-link-48.png

Seems reasonable.  I just need to find a way to  cross the border into England it's a long way to tunnel!

9 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I predict that CRT will say they're allowing cruising either 25th May or 1st June. But only with members of your own household. Over the last few weeks lots more has been found out about the virus.  And it seems that outdoor transmission is not a big issue.  Take precautions obviously though.  That's why they're saying you can go to the park, have a picnic and meet with friends, as long as you stay 2 metres away from them.  I can't say I'm a fan of that advice, because people will deliberately misinterpret it.  But that's where we are.

I don’t believe they are saying that.  One person can go to a park and meet with one other person as long as they stay 2m apart, that is all.

Just now, john6767 said:

I don’t believe they are saying that.  One person can go to a park and meet with one other person as long as they stay 2m apart, that is all.

I'm going on what D.Raab said on breakfast news this morning.  He talked about meeting friends - plural.

6 minutes ago, Silebyman said:

I've had the email as well - can visit boat, but not take it out for cruise is how I am reading it

That’s my reading.  I need to service the engine and a ton of other little jobs before going anywhere anyway.  So if I can do that it will keep me busy until next month and we can see how this evolves then.

• Greenie 2

Just had an email from the marina.

"

• per prior Government advice, our marinas are not currently accessible to those customers who do not have the marina as their primary residence, and we continue to ask all leisure customers to respect this mandate until the Government gives us clarity on any changed advice."

6 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Definitely two people from each household.

From the BBC

Rules on meeting family
The changes in guidelines will also allow two people from different households to meet in a park if they stay 2m (6ft) apart.

Oh hang on.

Even more confusion

However, the UK government put out a clarification saying people can only meet one person outside at a time - not two people, such as both parents, at the same time.

It comes after Mr Raab incorrectly told the Today programme that someone could meet both their parents at the same time "if there's 2m apart".

Turning into a bit of a shambles when not everybody in govt. is on the same page.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Not so the extract below says otherwise.  We will have to wait for the CRT to advise further.

At this stage we continue to advise that boats should only be used for minimal travel. Angling and watersports (canoeing, Kayaking and SUP), for exercise, can also resume on Wednesday and we are reviewing when we can restore navigation in light of the new government advice.

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'm going on what D.Raab said on breakfast news this morning.  He talked about meeting friends - plural.

But it seems he got it wrong.

The confusion seems to be around the use of '2 people' from different households. It seems that means one person from a household at a time, making a total of two. It doesn't mean two people each from both housholds.

I think.......??

Edited by The Happy Nomad

6 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The confusion seems to be around the use of '2 people' from different households. It seems that means one person from a household at a time, making a total of two. It doesn't mean two people each from both housholds.

I think.......??

That’s what it reads to me, 2 people from different household, ie one from each household  The document should hopefully make it clear.

22 minutes ago, Detling said:

Just had an email from the marina.

"

• per prior Government advice, our marinas are not currently accessible to those customers who do not have the marina as their primary residence, and we continue to ask all leisure customers to respect this mandate until the Government gives us clarity on any changed advice."

The marina where I keep my boat has been open to key holders throughout. People have stayed away only because of the stay at home advice.

I think we should follow the rule below instead and add in 2m social distancing. It is much clearer than the govmints advice.

Offside position

It is not an offence to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:

• any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
  • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent
  • The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered.

A player is not in an offside position if level with the:

• second-last opponent or
  • last two opponents

Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

*The first point of contact of the 'play' or 'touch' of the ball should be used

or

• gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
  • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
  • been deliberately saved by any opponent
  • A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

In situations where:

• a player moving from, or standing in, an offside position is in the way of an opponent and interferes with the movement of the opponent towards the ball this is an offside offence if it impacts on the ability of the opponent to play or challenge for the ball; if the player moves into the way of an opponent and impedes the opponent's progress (e.g blocks the opponent) the offence should be penalised under Law 12
  • a player in an offisde position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence
  • an offence is committed against a player in an offside position who is already playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the offside offence is penalised as it has occurred before the foul challenge

No offence

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:

• a goal kick
  • a throw-in
  • a corner kick

Offences and sanctions

If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play.

A defending player who leaves the field of play without the referee’s permission shall be considered to be on the goal line or touchline for the purposes of offside until the next stoppage in play or until the defending team has played the ball towards the halfway line and it is outside its penalty area. If the player left the field of play deliberately, the player must be cautioned when the ball is next out of play.

An attacking player may step or stay off the field of play not to be involved in active play. If the player re-enters from the goal line and becomes involved in play before the next stoppage in play, or the defending team has played the ball towards the halfway line and it is outside its penalty area, the player shall be considered to be positioned on the goal line for the purposes of offside. A player who deliberately leaves the field of play and re-enters without the referee’s permission and is not penalised for offside and gains an advantage, must be cautioned.

If an attacking player remains stationary between the goalposts and inside the goal as the ball enters the goal, a goal must be awarded unless the player commits an offside offence or Law 12 offence in which case play is restarted with an indirect or direct free kick.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I think.......??

So if two people from one household sit two metres apart from two people from another household, they could in theory be meeting one person each.

25 minutes ago, churchward said:

Not so the extract below says otherwise.  We will have to wait for the CRT to advise further.

I suspect they are procrastinating because they have locked most of the system up to save money and water and are probably unprepared for any unlocking of the locks.

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

I suspect they are procrastinating because they have locked most of the system up to save money and water and are probably unprepared for any unlocking of the locks.

Probably and like us are waiting to see the Government document to be released.  It could change again by the end of the week.  At least CRT have been reasonably quick in reacting to the announcement and for many visiting the boat to check it over after a couple of months will be useful.

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, churchward said:

....we are reviewing when we can restore navigation in light of the new government advice.

Essential navigation was never banned.

If a fisherman can sit on a towpath,  and a canoe go up and down, I can make my own mind up thankyou.

• Greenie 2

We can't go boating until CRT have set up a sanitising station at every lock and swing bridge. The comparison between cruising and driving is a bit of a stretch IMHO. I think June 1st looks more hopeful.

My comment was tongue in cheek. I do not expect C&RT to provide sanitiser. I'm happy to make my own decisions about safety. 

I notice that C&RT says                      "the Trust advises against travelling long distances unless it is essential to do so."

That could be interpreted as it is OK to travel short journeys whether it is essential or not.

Having said that I wouldn't be that keen on going a couple of miles up the cut and then turning around so I can come back. 

2 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

The lack of clarity is deeply depressing,  but only to be expected. The PM is, and always has been , a blustering fool who has appointed yes men to the cabinet. There might be some clarity by the end of the week. Perhaps.

You are still clueless as usual monsieur. Why not ask the plonker who runs your country and stop sticking your neb into our country :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Having just done a 75 mile trip from Lapworth to Congleton, I can report that this is not true. The canals we traversed were all usable as normal, with the exception of Harecastle tunnel, which needed to be booked and is only open for booking two days a week. It's true that the Macclesfield North of here and the Leeds and Liverpool are closed due to lack of water, but that's a tactic to preserve scarce supplies for when re-opening does happen. I suspect that those in charge of keeping those two waterways in water will be hoping for an extended delay, or leaving them closed longer than the rest of the system.  In general the canals, at least the ones we used are available for use, as CRT promised.

MP.

• Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

So if two people from one household sit two metres apart from two people from another household, they could in theory be meeting one person each.

Yup. That is certainly one way to interpret it IMHO.