Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I have seen srict guidelines referring to boats, along the linesof you must not visit your boat, but if you are on your boat, that is not applicable. If the C&RT stopped boating, well most boating stopped, they can lift the restriction. it looks more like a gudeline than a Rule of Law, but I suppose we agreed to  stick to guidelines when we bought a licence.

I don't think the 'rules'  from Govt actually said anything about liveaboards. What they did say was that everyone (yes everyone except Boris) must stay in their primary residence and not move anywhere else. The situation on the canals derived from that but, nationally, second homes were the greater concern.

11 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

You're gonna look such a dick when we are all allowed to go boating aren't you :)

Why?

52 minutes ago, Halsey said:

It would appear not but you can fish by/at the back of your boat

I don’t partake in angling, but do you need a Permit to permit fishing from your boat?

3 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I don't think the 'rules'  from Govt actually said anything about liveaboards. What they did say was that everyone (yes everyone except Boris) must stay in their primary residence and not move anywhere else. The situation on the canals derived from that but, nationally, second homes were the greater concern.

you are soooooooo bad ?, poor man has his primary residence at number 10. , He then had to leave to reside in local hospital due to catching the disease, apparently it was "touch and go" for a while. fortunately they found a spare ventilator!

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

you are soooooooo bad ?, poor man has his primary residence at number 10. , He then had to leave to reside in local hospital due to catching the disease, apparently it was "touch and go" for a while. fortunately they found a spare ventilator!

He was never actually placed on a ventilator. He was given the oxygen he required by alternative means. Presumably a mask or one of those awful helmets.

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

You can always go back and live in Scotland as you don’t seam to like how England is governed by Boris or where your living on your boat.

13 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

You can always go back and live in Scotland as you don’t seam to like how England is governed by Boris or where your living on your boat.

No thanks, I am just jesting about Boris, he is the PM, but a bit of a clown, I have no real interest in Politics. I don't vote, except  in The Referendum, when I was in Scotland.

I could stop posting, or you could put me on ignore if you are fed up with my moaning, I do sometimes post positive stuff, but it gets brushed side, negativity gets a positiv!

Comments keep the forum going, the technical side is brilliant, but at the moment we are all in a heightened state of anxiety, which I freely admit to, and very few interesting technical issues.

Keeping to the rules/guidelines etc, means I sometimes don't actually see anyone to talk to unless I make a positive effort. Sorry if I have prattled on too much. I'll go over to The Dark Side, but even then, the most interesting stuff is about fox with a spasm.

Signing out.

jo

Back again, not sure why my troll is unimpressed, I should care,.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

11 hours ago, Loddon said:

It has just been said on the news that you can drive out somewhere but you must return on the same day, so only day trips allowed.

In my case there is 4-5hrs drive to get to the boat and the same to get back so not much time for boating if done in a day.

Likewise and I dont drive that far in a day now. 10 years ago I would have

Sadly IMHO we are inextricably linked with caravans and park homes so we won't be boating away from home for a while yet............

Day trips will have to suffice for now eff Wednesday - I think that will keep me going for the next 3 weeks (just) 

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No thanks, I am just jesting about Boris, he is the PM, but a bit of a clown, I have no real interest in Politics. I don't vote, except  in The Referendum, when I was in Scotland.

I could stop posting, or you could put me on ignore if you are fed up with my moaning, I do sometimes post positive stuff, but it gets brushed side, negativity gets a positiv!

Comments keep the forum going, the technical side is brilliant, but at the moment we are all in a heightened state of anxiety, which I freely admit to, and very few interesting technical issues.

Keeping to the rules/guidelines etc, means I sometimes don't actually see anyone to talk to unless I make a positive effort. Sorry if I have prattled on too much. I'll go over to The Dark Side, but even then, the most interesting stuff is about fox with a spasm.

Please don't bother. I'm sure that people here would miss you.

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I aree and the easy to understand brief summary given last night will be clarified over the next few days. Those that are picking holes in everything are trying to find loopholes, basic story is the same as it was exept for a few small lifting items. looking for loopholes is dick head work. I liken it very much to the ccing rules. ccing rules are extremely easy to understand and comply with and the only ones that keep challenging them and supposedly asking for clarification are the ones who do not want to comply.

I'll second that ...... especially the ccing analogy. Both situations in nutshell!

• Greenie 3

27 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Has CRT opened the fishing on canals?

Fishing was one of the examples of outdoor activities the will be allowed in England from Wednesday.  I would have though that once the document has been released later today and CRT have had time to digest it, that they will be updating their guidance.

View this email in your browser

e222ab91-74a5-45d9-a1b6-569bc8afb08f.png

Coronavirus & boating update, 11 May 2020

Hello Boater!,

With the Government announcing a first step in lifting restrictions on outdoor activities, and allowing people to drive to spend time outdoors with members of the same household, from Wednesday, the Trust is lifting any remaining restrictions on boat owners visiting their boats though the Trust advises against travelling long distances unless it is essential to do so.

At this stage we continue to advise that boats should only be used for minimal travel. Angling and watersports (canoeing, Kayaking and SUP), for exercise, can also resume on Wednesday and we are reviewing when we can restore navigation in light of the new government advice.

In the meantime, mooring exemptions are extended by a further two weeks until 23 May.

As you may have seen before the weekend, we’ve created a survey to help us understand what your plans are for boating after the lockdown. Thanks to the 4,000 or so who’ve taken part but if you haven’t yet there’s still time. You’ll find the survey here – it’ll only take a couple of minutes to complete.

As ever, we’ll be constantly reviewing, and updating, our FAQs as more detail comes from government so do please regularly check back.

Best wishes, stay safe,
Damian Kemp,
Boating communications manager,
Canal & River Trust

color-facebook-48.png

color-link-48.png

12 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Better than looking such a dick most of the time though ;)

Like the government making a complete boris of it all?

Stay at home, unless you need to go to work.
If you don't need to go to work then stay at home.

Only use the bus if you don't have a bike or car.
If you don't have a car, then use a bike or go on the bus.

You can go out and do more than exercising and shopping.
But don't go out or go shopping unless you really have to.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

We can't go boating until CRT have set up a sanitising station at every lock and swing bridge. The comparison between cruising and driving is a bit of a stretch IMHO. I think June 1st looks more hopeful.

As an aside there was a piece in The Sunday Times yesterday regarding hirebases. The interviews were with Canal cruising co at Stone, Wyvern boating and ABC. They pointed out that if they can't get going by early July they will in effect have endured three winter seasons which might prove to be terminal. I'm sure they are bending CRT's ears as much as they can.

Comparably, our little patch of allotments has a sign on the locked gate stipulating using gloves and sanitiser. CRT claim that there’s similar on locks, which would seem to cover this, and is certainly good practice for the foreseeable.

We ain’t gonna be finding out any time soon, though I hope the rules do begin to ease for the keenest.

Keep well all, and be kind,

Dave

Interestingly I went for a walk about a week ago and a bit of it was on the canal towpath.  3 boats were travelling along, seemingly in convoy.  It was in Stirchley on the Worcester and Birmingham Canal, which is fairly far from any facilities (nearest would be a water tap beyong Kings Norton).  The lead boat was one I know fairly well, and I know it has a residential mooring with all facilities.  I wonder what their excuse for travelling would have been?

5 minutes ago, droshky said:

Comparably, our little patch of allotments has a sign on the locked gate stipulating using gloves and sanitiser. CRT claim that there’s similar on locks, which would seem to cover this, and is certainly good practice for the foreseeable.

We ain’t gonna be finding out any time soon, though I hope the rules do begin to ease for the keenest.

Keep well all, and be kind,

Dave

I predict that CRT will say they're allowing cruising either 25th May or 1st June. But only with members of your own household. Over the last few weeks lots more has been found out about the virus.  And it seems that outdoor transmission is not a big issue.  Take precautions obviously though.  That's why they're saying you can go to the park, have a picnic and meet with friends, as long as you stay 2 metres away from them.  I can't say I'm a fan of that advice, because people will deliberately misinterpret it.  But that's where we are.

12 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I was surprised by the CRT email, they have obviously had the nod from the government.  A trip to Check the boat on Wednesday then :)

I was surprised to see it on the previous posting. I have not received one. Are we sure it is genuine as normally emails from Damian are addressed by first name and this one is addressed to "boater"?

So CRT say we can visit our boats but what will marinas say. That's the next question,. Also will we be able to drive to it's mooring. Many of us live some distance away from their boat (in my instance about 75 miles). At this point I only want to visit the boat daily (safely) to do some urgent maintenance. I don't see myself doing a trip for a while yet.

I watched Boris last night but to be honest much of what he said was as clear as mud