Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

We can't go boating until CRT have set up a sanitising station at every lock and swing bridge. The comparison between cruising and driving is a bit of a stretch IMHO. I think June 1st looks more hopeful.

As an aside there was a piece in The Sunday Times yesterday regarding hirebases. The interviews were with Canal cruising co at Stone, Wyvern boating and ABC. They pointed out that if they can't get going by early July they will in effect have endured three winter seasons which might prove to be terminal. I'm sure they are bending CRT's ears as much as they can.

• Greenie 2

27 minutes ago, davem399 said:

I see on the BBC that the infection rate in Germany has increased just days after easing the lockdown. They are now above 1 for the R value

Something we can look forward to here?

Yes. But what else can we do? Yes we could retain the current measures until the country goes bust and we all starve to death, but I’m not sure that is a particularly good strategy. The bottom line, apart from putting all our faith and hope into a vaccine that works (which may or may not transpire), is to slowly relax so that people continue to get the virus. Most will survive, some will die. That is the hard truth of it.

• Greenie 4

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

I aree and the easy to understand brief summary given last night will be clarified over the next few days. Those that are picking holes in everything are trying to find loopholes, basic story is the same as it was exept for a few small lifting items. looking for loopholes is dick head work. I liken it very much to the ccing rules. ccing rukes are extremely easy to understand and comply with and the only ones that keep challenging them and supposedly asking for clarification are the ones who do not want to comply.

We will know a lot more by Wednesday..................

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, pig said:

It seems anglers and golfers can now pursue their hobby.

Can I drive to, and fish off the back of my boat (100 miles away)?

Boris did say we could travel to other places . I don't recall any distance limit. However he would have been better to have said nothing on the subject of travelling other than for work /food/medicine  as before if that's whet he intends .

He did say we should stay at home as much as possible. 

Do you have a reference for the permission to angling or golfing please ? 

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Yes. But what else can we do? Yes we could retain the current measures until the country goes bust and we all starve to death, but I’m not sure that is a particularly good strategy. The bottom line, apart from putting all our faith and hope into a vaccine that works (which may or may not transpire), is to slowly relax so that people continue to get the virus. Most will survive, some will die. That is the hard truth of it.

Spot on. A vaccine that is safe and properly tested is a long way off unfortunately,  the only way to get back to some sort of normal is herd immunity.

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

Boris did say we could travel to other places . I don't recall any distance limit. However he would have been better to have said nothing on the subject of travelling other than for work /food/medicine  as before if that's whet he intends .

He did say we should stay at home as much as possible. 

Do you have a reference for the permission to angling or golfing please ? 

I’m not sure there is any point in trying to second guess the detail. There will be a 50 page document published later today, after that we can pick it to pieces. The changes don’t apply until Wednesday anyway.

Edited by nicknorman

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

I’m not sure there is any point in trying to second guess the detail. There will be a 50 page document published later today, after that we can pick it to pieces. The changes don’t apply until Wednesday anyway.

Indeed, there's little point in us theorising in what we can and cannot do until there is some flesh on the bones of what was said by Boris yesterday.  Naturally, it was light on detail, given just a ten minute slot on the TV, it will be interesting to learn what is allowed and how that compares to what people believe will materialise.

22 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

We can't go boating until CRT have set up a sanitising station at every lock and swing bridge. 

Not being a small child or someone with a sense of entitlement to have someone else do everything for me, I would be quite happy to take responsibility for ensuring my own hygiene at locks and swingbridges. For paddles, I would use my own windlass (no change there then). For other things that require me to touch stuff (gate handles, push buttons on swingbridges etc) I would use disposable gloves etc, just as I do when using a petrol pump etc. And of course wash hands when finished.

I think it will mean that helping other people at locks becomes a thing of the past, but it was heading that was anyway. 

Alternatively we could all wait until the RAF finishes spraying the entire countryside with disinfectant from their tanker planes, but I might be dead by then.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 3

20 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

We can't go boating until CRT have set up a sanitising station at every lock and swing bridge.

Why?  I carry my own sanitiser.  Everytime I touch anything while I'm out, (doors, gates etc) I then rub my hands with alcohol gel.  It would probably help if everyone did this, but I'm not sure I remember seeing a single other person doing it.

• Greenie 2

48 minutes ago, davem399 said:

I see on the BBC that the infection rate in Germany has increased just days after easing the lockdown. They are now above 1 for the R value

Something we can look forward to here?

Yes it is. The more people mingle with others the easier it is for the virus to replicate.

That is true but Germany is using track & trace techniques etc. to break the infection chain.  Yesterday, they reported 555 new infections and 20 new deaths.  This is still a very low number compared to the situation in the UK.  We will see over the coming days/weeks if that rises significantly.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Traveller said:

"From Wednesday, 13 May unlimited outdoor activity will be permitted in England, and we understand that this will include all forms of boating."

Interesting.

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Why?  I carry my own sanitiser.  Everytime I touch anything while I'm out, (doors, gates etc) I then rub my hands with alcohol gel.  It would probably help if everyone did this, but I'm not sure I remember seeing a single other person doing it.

Having never used the stuff before in my life i have been usiong it since this virus appeared. I use it before getting back in the car after dog walk or shopping or anything. it is available online now at reasonable cost. I get my 300 mil bottles including next day delivery for a tenner and that will last ages. I keep a small 100 mil bottle in my pocket, easy to do if boating.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

To those, who are saying we should simple wait until further detail is given.  Surely the whole point of a discussion forum is to speculate on these sort of things.

I also expect that CRT will be trying to gauge the mood of boaters before issuing their guidance.  One way they surely do that, is by reading forums like this.

6 minutes ago, Traveller said:

The RYA  do allegedly cover all forms of boating and do have instructors on inland waterways . However they are very biased towards  sailing which in most of its forms involves a good deal more exercise than that required to crew a motor boat. 

The RYA have gone too far here. We don't want is masses of people out on the water just yet ...... do we?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Lets hope they have it right!! Not untying yet though.

"From Wednesday, 13 May unlimited outdoor activity will be permitted in England, and we understand that this will include all forms of boating."

Interesting.

I think it may be wise to stay put and observe the results. Any increase in cases and death rates is not going to be instant . 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Having never used the stuff before in my life i have been usiong it since this virus appeared. I use it before getting back in the car after dog walk or shopping or anything. it is available online now at reasonable cost. I get my 300 mil bottles including next day delivery for a tenner and that will last ages. I keep a small 100 mil bottle in my pocket, easy to do if boating.

You should probably consider using it while you're doing your shopping or walking your dog, immediately after touching any shared surface.

You should probably consider using it while you're doing your shopping or walking your dog, immediately after touching any shared surface.

Yes I do. Opening gates and going over styles etc ?

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

It would be foolish not to learn from the experience of other countries.  There is an option to put the brakes on.

The great british public are at breaking point,, what they will break is the current control Law, and the Police would not be able to stop it., I believe that is what is happening in London Parks, and has led to them being mentioned in dispatches.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes I do. Opening gates and going over styles etc ?

We  have couple of gates to pass through on our usual  routes but they can be swing without touching by hand.

The clapper gates alongside the Trent have been tied  open - which is probably something that should remain long term. 

This where  the gates are no longer required to keep livestock  from escaping.

9 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

No change except that they can go out for as many walks to exercise as they like each day. And go to work if they normally do that!

I have seen strict guidelines referring to boats, along the lines of  "you must not visit your boat", but if you are on your boat, that is not applicable. If the C&RT stopped boating, well most boating stopped, they can lift the restriction. it looks more like a gudeline than a Rule of Law, but I suppose we agreed to  stick to guidelines when we bought a licence.

As Nick says, it makes no sense in the big scheme of the pandemic to stop onboard boaters moving about, Just wear gloves at locks. There would be an outcry from sports not released from restrictions, but that headline news will soon be tomorrow's chip paper.

Edited by LadyG