Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Why cant people just wait?

Lets see what CRT have to say over the next couple of days. They have said no body needs to move so far, so what exactly is the problem?

Well, the problem or issue if you like, is that much to your amazement no doubt, some people actually like to and want to move their boats!?

But otherwise I agree with your sentiment that we will need to allow the dust to settle...

So I’ll give CRT until lunchtime tomorrow!

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well, the problem or issue if you like, is that much to your amazement no doubt, some people actually like to and want to move their boats!?

But otherwise I agree with your sentiment that we will need to allow the dust to settle...

I think moving a boat especially for leisure purposes comes firmly  within the 'first world problem category' at the moment.

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

we will need to allow the dust to settle..

Good 

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

I think moving a boat especially for leisure purposes comes firmly  within the 'first world problem category' at the moment.

So does getting a McDonalds but that is permitted.

It has just been said on the news that you can drive out somewhere but you must return on the same day, so only day trips allowed.

In my case there is 4-5hrs drive to get to the boat and the same to get back so not much time for boating if done in a day.

11 minutes ago, MartynG said:

So does getting a McDonalds but that is permitted.

Correct, collecting a takeaway has I believe always been allowed if the facility was open?

You may not agree or like it but I guess having a Maccy D's is seen as providing sustenance whilst boating is seen as an unnecessary luxury, or a privilege if you like.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

34 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Smelly?

32 minutes ago, W+T said:

So therefore then as folk can drive a lot further in a car than a boat in a short time then i cant see why we cant cruise again. 

You would think so wouldn't you?

5 minutes ago, Loddon said:

It has just been said on the news that you can drive out somewhere but you must return on the same day, so only day trips allowed.

One problem is that what gets reported in the news, is no more than just one person's personal interpretation & guess of what the new restrictions will be - based on exactly the same information that you & I have heard. Just because that person happens to work for the BBC (or ITV, etc), their opinion actually carries no more weight than yours, mine, or anybody else's.

• Greenie 3

12 minutes ago, Loddon said:

In my case there is 4-5hrs drive to get to the boat and the same to get back so not much time for boating if done in a day.

If you start at midnight and arrive  home at midnight that leaves 14 hours in between.  I though Boris said you could drive anywhere if you keep to your household group and observe social distancing but I will have to watch it again. .........or perhaps just keep on as the new usual working from home  this week.. 

8 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Correct, collecting a takeaway has I believe always been allowed if the facility was open?

I agree the facility being open is an important factor.

Edited by MartynG
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

I agree the facility being open is an important factor.

Good.

My point of course was that some decided to close.

17 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think that's about how long it took to clear up the MOT situation after the Lockdown was announced, so I think we can be confident that government will have everything covered, and we will know for sure over the course of tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Well it does, but equally I find it hard to see where the risk of spreading infection chugging along in a boat comes from, compared to say going to the supermarket (high risk) or hanging out in the park (fairly low risk, as long as it doesn’t get too crowded).

The fun police are definitely around at the moment, anything that might be considered fun is disallowed on principle, regardless of whether it might have an impact of the R number. Which I think is rather stupid.

I just read that in Scotland there were 10 deaths yesterday. Queen Nicola is wittering on about how awful that is and this is why we can’t follow Boris. Not anything to do with independence posturing of course!

The thing is that, without checking the stats, I’d guess that under normal circumstances probably 10 people a day die from road accidents. And yet we didn’t close the roads down. There is an element of populism here, politicians have got themselves into a corner where they can’t say “yes let’s relax the lockdown, never mind if a few people die as a result, they are mostly on their last legs anyway”. Whilst under normal circumstances they are quite happy for plenty to die in road accidents, from smoking, from over-eating, from a grossly under-funded mental health care system.... I could go on. And on...

all of which equals massive hypocrisy and absence of logical thought. But then of course, they are politicians! And meantime the economy and people’s jobs are disappearing down the drain.

• Greenie 4

18 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

as did sitting on the beach, a bench in the park, or on a picnic blanket..... 

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Well it does, but equally I find it hard to see where the risk of spreading infection chugging along in a boat comes from, compared to say going to the supermarket (high risk) or hanging out in the park (fairly low risk, as long as it doesn’t get too crowded).

The fun police are definitely around at the moment, anything that might be considered fun is disallowed on principle, regardless of whether it might have an impact of the R number. Which I think is rather stupid.

I just read that in Scotland there were 10 deaths yesterday. Queen Nicola is wittering on about how awful that is and this is why we can’t follow Boris. Not anything to do with independence posturing of course!

The thing is that, without checking the stats, I’d guess that under normal circumstances probably 10 people a day die from road accidents. And yet we didn’t close the roads down. There is an element of populism here, politicians have got themselves into a corner where they can’t say “yes let’s relax the lockdown, never mind if a few people die as a result, they are mostly on their last legs anyway”. Whilst under normal circumstances they are quite happy for plenty to die in road accidents, from smoking, from over-eating, from a grossly under-funded mental health care system.... I could go on. And on...

all of which equals massive hypocrisy and absence of logical thought. But then of course, they are politicians! And meantime the economy and people’s jobs are disappearing down the drain.

Agreed with much of that.

We are keen to see family members from other 'households' and its illogical to us that we cant meet up in the garden staying 2 metres apart when we can be just 2 metres away from strangers in our local supermarket.

But for now we are sitting tight.

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I agree, this is world class hypocrisy.  At no point in this whole sorry saga do you get the feeling that politicians have stopped playing the political game, and the disconnection between the four devolved governments is the latest twist - it's already created some "border" issues worthy of an Ealing comedy.

What is still puzzling me though, seven weeks in, is why our media seem to be so incapable of holding those in power to account?   Am I the only one yearning for John Humphries to come out of retirement?

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

No

Essential movement for services as before, I didnt hear him say owt else.

Strange that................. He seemed to ignore inland boaters all together, not to mention RYA yotties, steam train enthusiasts, and indoor wall climbers.

I don't know what the world is coming to ..............

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Oh I agree with you....I need a lie down!!?

No - but you might be able to go to see your boat next week assuming your marina, taking their lead from CRT, will allow it.

I'm still hanging on to my mantra that we will be boating by 1st June and nothing I can see has changed to affect that in the last 4 days - I'm still staying at home playing with my model railway keeping away from everyone and eating too much comfort crap but NOT a MacDonalds as the closest one is 20 miles away and IMHO BKs are better.

The only person in my world suffering is the other arf who's Mum is deteriorating in a care home and she can't see her - my Mum passed late last year - its tough but the care home are saying no visits and that is right.

Head down and let's get through the next 3 week period by which time possibly if we can all behave reasonably the news will be a little better.

Try to stay sane and stop reading the minute by minute/hourly/daily "wind up" news and reacting to telephoto pictures of parks in London - let them get on with it 

Edited by Halsey
  • Greenie 2

9 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

We are where we are, we can't all be doing good in some foreign country. Sending them foreign aid is probably the best value for those unfortunates, as someone wisely said " the poor will always be with us"

To extend the discussion I could argue that we in the first world have always used the Third World to provide us with cheap commodities, sourced from people who are probably near starvation, pestilence and disease. 

Recently we have also been exporting our contaminated wastes rather than pay for cleaning them "in house". 

I don't think that moving a boat is a going to increase disease transmission, if I did I would stay in one place as long as I fond a safe place.

It is the perception more than the reality, that is why I despair of the C&RT, it has to keep good political relations, I agree with that, I just   

9 hours ago, nicknorman said:

You are correct. Its a tough one innitt. I have said all along more people will die because of covid than from it. No economy means the remaining still over 67 million living like Oliver Twist.

Getting started is paramount but the PM will then get slated for allowing it or disallowing it, remember its all about politics. Camp sites are still closed and its easy for them to observe social distancing with plot sizes etc etc but it will come. Until the effects of small changes are counted its not possible to do any more.

We will have to wait for the document to be published later today, but this all does seem to be a bit strange.

You can exercise how you want when you want, including driving anywhere.  So perfectly acceptably to drive to a marina and walk the dog there.  But you can not set foot on your boat.  Similarly with second homes, you could drive to the village where your second home is in Devon, you can walk down the road past it, but you can not go through the front door.

It would be good if the full rules allow you to visit second homes during the day, but not stay overnight.  That would have no extra risk over what it seems you will be able to do from Wednesday anyway.

Similarly you will be able to meet one person not from your household In a park, if you stay 2m apart.  But that same person can not come to your garden, and sit 2m apart there.  Forcing both household to go to a public park seems to me have increased the risk over meeting in a private garden.

Edited by john6767

2 minutes ago, davem399 said:

I see on the BBC that the infection rate in Germany has increased just days after easing the lockdown. They are now above 1 for the R value

Something we can look forward to here?

It would be foolish not to learn from the experience of other countries.  There is an option to put the brakes on.

8 minutes ago, davem399 said:

I see on the BBC that the infection rate in Germany has increased just days after easing the lockdown. They are now above 1 for the R value

Its inevitable whenever we get back to normal - why can't people see that ..............

• Greenie 3

27 minutes ago, davem399 said:

Germany has opened up a lot more than we have done - the hospitality sector for one. 

It's known that transmission is much less likely outdoors than in, providing people observe social distancing as the government has instructed. So a relaxation on outdoor restrictions to begin with seems fair and reasonably safe at this stage.

Hopefully CRT may also view canal boating in a similar way and relax their own stance soon.

Edited by Philip
  • Greenie 3