Cauliflower Conundrum

Featured Posts

Ok so we are all a bit bored so here is a little exercise for your brains just for a laugh, I will post the result within a couple of weeks to see whos guess was nearest!!

The quandry. Right I have a twin coil cauliflower with immersion fitted. I am at present on a shore line so the immersion is only ever switched off when I am away from the boat as I leave it on all day every day. A few weeks ago i turned it off and on return noticed some water round the base of the cauliflower, not loads but it was wet. I turned immersion on and a few hours later no water and all well. I did this again when we left boat for a couple of days and wt when we returned. i turned it off nearly two months ago and on returning yesterday again water at base of unit again mainly towards the front near immersion boss. Switche don and no leaks or water evident again today. Whats the panels best guess?? Could it be a weep from the immersion that epxnda and close when hot?? Its not coming from either the engine or webasto coils. Any ideas before I get my arse in to gear with the tools?? Cauliflower is 4 years old and I can see no splits or discoloration.

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Most likely the immersion itself, take the cap off and have a look.

Thanks, yes Ive done that hoping for a clue but its dry :( It would have been a nice easy cheap option.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Thanks, yes Ive done that hoping for a clue but its dry :( It would have been a nice easy cheap option.

Is it lagged?

Or bare metal?

I'm thinking condensation???

Or pressure relief valve???

7 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Is it lagged?

Or bare metal?

I'm thinking condensation???

Or pressure relief valve???

Lagged and too much for codensation, I will check the valve taa.

3 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

What is above the cauliflower where it is wet?

Nothing :( Its realy weird. Just been for another luck and prv is dry as a bone. top of cauliflower is covered in dust and dry as a bone lol. Its realy weird. Doesnt leak at all when hot and pressurised but when leave boat with pump switched off and immersion off its wet????? Weird. Leaving immersion off at moment and will monitor every hour or so.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

That would be my guess.  Give it a thumbful of LS-X paste next time it's cold.

Blimey..........................will google ?

A slightly long shot, but it could be a permanent very slight leak but when the water and calorifier and surroundings are hot it evaporates off, but when cold it doesn't.

.............Dave

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Blimey..........................will google ?

https://fernox.com/product/ls-x-external-leak-sealer-50ml/

"

LS-X is a proven, fast acting, silicone paste which is used as an effective external leak sealer and jointing compound.

Description

LS-X is a proven, fast acting, silicone paste which is used as an effective external leak sealer and jointing compound. It is designed for use on hot and cold water services, including potable water.

• Ideal for use on compression joints and screwed fittings
  • Never sets rock hard, joints can easily be undone
  • Ready to use, no mixing
  • Does not shrink or crack with age
  • Suitable for use from below freezing point to above boiling point of water
  • Completely safe to use with drinking water
  • WRAS – Approved Product

"

Nasty stuff on your fingers, but very effective.  Do read the instructions though.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

A slightly long shot, but it could be a permanent very slight leak but when the water and calorifier and surroundings are hot it evaporates off, but when cold it doesn't.

That was where my brain cells were going... but from where?

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

A joint Tony but which one?

Yeah :( So I am starting the process of elimination. the good pojts are that I know its neither the inny or outy of the webasto or engine coils as I ahve suffered zero coolant loss over the time this has been happening. Its weird though as it leaks when cold and not under pressure rather than when pressurised.

2 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

Horizonall or Vertical?Stainless or Copper? I have had a similar problem where a very small stress crack developed hidden of course by the insulation.

Its vertical copper thanks. Its going tobe a slooooow proces of elimination over the course of a few days methinks.

Tim, you're writing about the "bottom" - do I infer from that comment that the heater is at the bottom of the unit (mine is and it's a pain to remove 'cos I ghave to drain and remove - thus I haven't).

If it is the onlky sensible suggestion is that when the unit is on the water at the bottom of the tank plus the heater is warm - p'raps sufficuently warm to cause expansion - abd that stops the leak..

or mebe not....

1 minute ago, OldGoat said:

Tim, you're writing about the "bottom" - do I infer from that comment that the heater is at the bottom of the unit (mine is and it's a pain to remove 'cos I ghave to drain and remove - thus I haven't).

If it is the onlky sensible suggestion is that when the unit is on the water at the bottom of the tank plus the heater is warm - p'raps sufficuently warm to cause expansion - abd that stops the leak..

or mebe not....

Yow Dood, that is precisely my thoughts but?????? Yes its in the tank bottom Plus points are that I am belt and braces when I fit stuff so I have plenty of isolation valves and indeed I fitted a drain tap at the lowest point so I can drain it off if I have to.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yow Dood, that is precisely my thoughts but?????? Yes its in the tank bottom Plus points are that I am belt and braces when I fit stuff so I have plenty of isolation valves and indeed I fitted a drain tap at the lowest point so I can drain it off if I have to.

Oh - good guess then! (Just as well 'cos a bollocking from your goodself is something to be avoided..

IIRC it's a small boss variety, tus easier to undo when the tank is empty. However it's only a 1KW variety and when working it took weeks to heat up  - so I haven't bothered. An hour or so with the 'splutter on is so much easier.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Oh - good guess then! (Just as well 'cos a bollocking from your goodself is something to be avoided..

IIRC it's a small boss variety, tus easier to undo when the tank is empty. However it's only a 1KW variety and when working it took weeks to heat up  - so I haven't bothered. An hour or so with the 'splutter on is so much easier.

Lol. Its a full size fitting but only 1.25 watts however heats up in about 4 hours plus.  I am plugged in at moment so immesrion is cheap and keeps us in constant water for what we use ?

52 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Lol. Its a full size fitting but only 1.25 watts however heats up in about 4 hours plus.  I am plugged in at moment so immesrion is cheap and keeps us in constant water for what we use ?

That's clever - must be some form of perpetual energy. Praps 1.25 Kw is more realistic (Mine is/was around that from Midland Swindlers IIRC)