Parson HG4 oil problem

lars

Featured Posts

Hey! i have an Parson HG4 gearbox that is attached to a Ford 2715E. I am going to replace the oil in the gearbox but i dont know where i refill the new oil into the gearbox. anyone got a clue where to put it? how much oil should i put in it? ive have tryed to find a service manual but i cant find it anywhere. 

i have attached 2 pictures of the gearbox.  

any help at all would be much appreciated, thank you.

20200508_151436.jpg.c8348f1ee6bfa5dff2cf746049388b6f.jpg20200508_151347.jpg.c978c30ec9c3da3d4036ef69bde662fb.jpg

As a stating point,    http://www.parsonsmathwaymarine.co.uk/parsons_gearboxes.htm 

And manuals are at   http://www.parsonsmathwaymarine.co.uk/manuals.htm

I suspect that the oil in the reversing box nearest the engine goes in the winged cap on top and that the oil in the reduction box is separate and goes in the brass plug. But don't quote me.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I suspect that the oil in the reversing box nearest the engine goes in the winged cap on top and that the oil in the reduction box is separate and goes in the brass plug. But don't quote me.

And there may be a dipstick attached to the underside of each of those caps, which will tell you when you've put enough oil in.

Or possibly on the main gearbox the dipstick may be attached to the brass hexagonal plug above the middle of the word Parsons.

Edited by David Mack

Wot Tracy said for filling holes.

The main gearbox dipstick is visible low down on the left side of the box, level with the foremost lid screw.

There also appears to be an oil filter on the left side of the box.  I would look to change that at the same time as the oil, unless it is known to be recently new.

There may be a level plug on the reduction box as well as the filler plug.

N

PS Parsons Mathway themselves can supply a pdf manual for £12. Google parsons hg4 manual.

Edited by BEngo