Bath or shower?

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

The reason is that like myself you were " Trained " to use showers and not to waste too much water as the ship had to remove the salt from it first innitt and there were a lot of us getting showered every day. Remember what happened if you tried to go without a shower for even one day!!

Nice showering in desalinated water isn't it. Or it was on the rig I was on.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We had shoreside water for that

Was it piped to you? Longest period I spent at sea without going into any harbour was about 4 months so we had to make our own innitt.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Was it piped to you? Longest period I spent at sea without going into any harbour was about 4 months so we had to make our own innitt.

No it came in a boat along with the grub and other stuff we needed

• Greenie 1

I had a big corner bath at my house and that (and the big shed) are the only things that I miss with boat living. A good bath needs to be big and full of hot water and thats not so easy to do on a narrowboat. We have a hip bath as a shower base and that's a good compromise. Little chance of flooding the boat as long as you keep the shower curtain in place, your feet get a good soak whilst having a shower, and perfect for showering the dog. Good for washing  clothes when the washing machine breaks, and for short term storage of very wet clothes/waterproofs etc. 

................Dave

We fitted a 3/4 bath with shower over when we re-fitted Consort. We're on a Res mooring with our own water supply. We love our bath and use it 90% of the time. I wouldn't be without one. The key is having plenty of hot water. We have a domestic style 3KW flow boiler which replenishes the Calorifier to full heat in just over an hour. Same system heats the boat's rads. When under way, engine heats the water in the usual way. Before we installed the flow boiler, with only the 1.25KW immersion, it would take 2-3 hours to re-heat the hot water. 

We fill the water tank roughly once a week (not sure how big it is).

If you only have 16A mains available or are cruisers then probably best to stick with a shower