Bilge rust.

Featured Posts

On 10/05/2020 at 12:59, Traveller said:

That was my experience too - I believe I used the cavity wax.

It wasn't the cavity wax one. It sprays well as it's very thin, it's like an oil and when sprayed on leaves a bit of a shine afterwards.

12 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

but what is in it that "kills old rust" ?

your link doesn't help, other than to restate the marketing puffery :) 

I don't know, but I'm fairly sure there must be something in it that does or they wouldn't get away with advertising it - they have to be able to prove the claim if challenged.

I still wouldn't waxoyl my bilges anyway so it's irrelevant to me.

On 10/05/2020 at 20:41, NewCanalBoy said:

I think it's been mentioned before on this forum. Waxoyl is meant to be sprayed up underneath vehicles. Water may splash up and run off. If it goes in a bilge then water sits on top of it. It's not designed for this. 

Yes, any standing water will eventually get underneath waxoil or any other oil you care to put over rusty steel in the bilges. On the other hand if there is no potential of water in the area then there's no point having waxoil there anyway! So it's a complete waste of time.

• 1 month later...

I've used Owatrol Oil is a similar situation - getting to engine bilge in corners behind calorifier. 

The blurb says "Used alone it provides a tough, flexible finish, driving out excess moisture and air; displacing it from rusted metal, so stopping rust. • Apply directly to rusted surfaces. • Penetrates deep in to rusted surfaces to drive out moisture and air. • Forms a solid stable layer that other paints can firmly adhere to. • Completely seals sound underlying metal against corrosion."   Midland Chandlers have recently started selling it. https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/brands/owatrol 

I suggest applying it using a garden spray, if it's not too thick. The 'wand' should help get it into awkward spaces.  The spec says clean up is with mineral turps, so it might be possible to thin it with turps - but you'd need to test it first to make sure it still dried off OK or if the turps destroyed it...   Using turps is a big fire risk till it all dried off of course.  

Over here in New Zealand, I've used a similar product made from fish-oil. https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/shop-by-category/paint-and-panel/rust-prevention/fish-oil   It too has the great advantage of working on rusty surfaces and can be used alone or painted.  Excellent for boat trailers.

Hurry up and get COVID under control over there, so we can get back to our boat Jabulani...