Bullying by locals

Timx

Featured Posts

It would be interesting to know how noisy their generator is and what effort they make to shield it. Alternatively, the boat engine may be a quieter option. The issue does seem to be that they make too much noise in the same place for too long. 

2 minutes ago, rgreg said:

The issue does seem to be that they make too much noise in the same place for too long. 

I've not bothered watching the video, but don't forget we have just come out of a lockdown where boaters were asked not to move for anything other than essential journeys.

Staying in one place from the 5th November to the 2nd December - apart from nipping to the services and back - with up to a 14 day stay when the clock started ticking again has been actively encouraged by CRT.  

Admittedly one of the great joys of cruising is that if the neighbours are idiots you can up sticks and go elsewhere, but maybe the young girl and her mum don't want to be seen to be giving in to bullying.

It's a self limiting issue, as they'll need to be moving on again next week.

10 minutes ago, rgreg said:

It would be interesting to know how noisy their generator is and what effort they make to shield it. Alternatively, the boat engine may be a quieter option. The issue does seem to be that they make too much noise in the same place for too long. 

Thing is we just dont know, they could be fine but the problem is finding something to volog about. Maybe they dont fall out with people more than anyone else just like we dont all find every lock dangerous.

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thing is we just dont know, they could be fine but the problem is finding something to volog about. Maybe they dont fall out with people more than anyone else just like we dont all find every lock dangerous.

Maybe they need to try Bingley ... :D

53 minutes ago, Kiwidad said:

We could plan a joint raid (masked of course)

When they went 200 yards for diesel after 3 week, we almost moved your boat across to the space......but we didnt think they would come back to exactly the same spot, and I was up supporting Mums bubble in Blackpool.

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I've not bothered watching the video, but don't forget we have just come out of a lockdown where boaters were asked not to move for anything other than essential journeys.

Staying in one place from the 5th November to the 2nd December - apart from nipping to the services and back - with up to a 14 day stay when the clock started ticking again has been actively encouraged by CRT.  

Admittedly one of the great joys of cruising is that if the neighbours are idiots you can up sticks and go elsewhere, but maybe the young girl and her mum don't want to be seen to be giving in to bullying.

It's a self limiting issue, as they'll need to be moving on again next week.

I know we have been in lockdown restrictions, but my point was whether they had made an attempt to mitigate the noise whilst remaining in one place. Also, if I recall correctly, this is not the first incident of this nature.

18 hours ago, rgreg said:

Running a generator for an hour in the morning and then for another hour in the evening does not seem unreasonable.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

Running a generator for an hour in the morning and then for another hour in the evening does not seem unreasonable.

If it is a typical 'building site' generator then runnig it for 5 minutes a year would be unreasonable.

It it is a super-silent Honda Suitcase generator, then it's not a problem.

As with many things the devil is in the detail

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If it is a typical 'building site' generator then runnig it for 5 minutes a year would be unreasonable.

It it is a super-silent Honda Suitcase generator, then it's less of a problem.

Fixed that for you Alan...  ;)

• Happy 1

I don't get this 'bending the rules' stuff.  They're either breaking the rules or they're not.  If they're telling the truth then 2 hours a day is so far within the rules it's ridiculous.  I typically run my engine/genny 3-4 hours a day at this time.  And that's pretty normal.  There are many who run their engine for over 6 hours a day pretty much every day. 

Of course, if they're lying, then it's a different story, but none of us know do we?

The video hints that they're being driven off because the antagonist like to moor in their spot for extended periods and doens't like boats there.  It's not too dissimilar to when you see those 'no mooring' signs on people's house, and should be dismissed just the same.

I've found myself moored by boats with a big frame genny and it's noisy!  But it's tough ain't it?  When it's happened I've moved on sharpish.

On 09/12/2020 at 14:21, Victor Vectis said:

ETA On a technicial note, she says they have lithium batteries and some solar power. If so should she need to run her generator twice a day? Perhaps a power audit might go some way to resolving the problem.

I would be interested to know how having lithium batteries and solar power (in December) will affect the duration of having to use a generator.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It it is a super-silent Honda Suitcase generator, then it's not a problem.

Here's what they are using. It's a still From their previous vlog. Some sort of Honda EU22i copy?

Gen.jpg.b9f4b17a2d6b3983ab54f0459f704d42.jpg

1 minute ago, booke23 said:

Here's what they are using. It's a still From their previous vlog. Some sort of Honda EU22i copy?

Loncin are a pretty expensive and quiet generator.  Comparable to Kipor.  Slightly louder than a Honda, but not so as you'd notice.

Edited by doratheexplorer

Just now, booke23 said:

That doesn't look bad - running that for a couple of hours between 8AM and 8PM shouldn't cause problems and well within the 'spirit' of the rules.

If they are running between 8PM and 8AM it may be a different story.

18 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Loncin are a pretty expensive and quiet generator.  Comparable to Kipor.  Slightly louder than a Honda, but not so as you'd notice.

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That doesn't look bad - running that for a couple of hours between 8AM and 8PM shouldn't cause problems and well within the 'spirit' of the rules.

Fairly decent generator then......it doesn't seem unreasonable at all. As already mentioned, we need both sides of the story.  

20 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Fairly decent generator then......it doesn't seem unreasonable at all. As already mentioned, we need both sides of the story.  

Perhaps its the noise of their bumping gums that annoys? They do go on and on and on again.

• Haha 1