Bullying by locals

Timx

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, pete.i said:

It's as plain as day to me why this young lady is complaining. She is 100% correct. Bunch of idiots on this thread though. Pretty much par for the course on this forum unfortunately.

I think some of us are being sceptical (with reasonable grounds) rather than being idiotic.

5 minutes ago, pete.i said:

It's as plain as day to me why this young lady is complaining. She is 100% correct. Bunch of idiots on this thread though. Pretty much par for the course on this forum unfortunately.

...and here we encapsulate all that is wrong with the social media zeitgeist and in fact people in general these days. “Anyone who has a different view or opinion from me, is an idiot.”

Edited by nicknorman

7 minutes ago, pete.i said:

. Bunch of idiots on this thread though. Pretty much par for the course on this forum unfortunately.

The expression of varied opinions in a reasonable manner, known as "discussion", is indeed par for the course, I'm pleased to say.

Calling other members "idiots" for expressing their opinions is, I'm pleased to say, not par for the course, nor should it be.

Edited by Athy

I saw nothing mean in the girl's presentation of the problem; following the CV-19 guidelines, trying to keep it that way. 

My only criticism is - the over dramatic use of the title. The boater was undoubtedly frustrated. 

Edited by Higgs

24 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Like my son, the young lady in question has Asperger’s. I know it may be difficult for some to appreciate this. Please do not be too harsh on her.

Sorry Ray and at the risk of Pete calling me an idiot I do not subsribe to the concept that she should be treated any differently.

If she does indeed have Asperger's syndrome then she I am sure like most people who have it would expect to be treated equally, the same as anybody else. IMHO you cannot expect to be treated equally in all other aspects of life and then expect to have some slack cut when you broadcast on social media. 

Her Asperger's would only be relevant if she was being ridiculed or mocked regarding it, and nobody has done that.

Happy Nomad. I don't know whether you have any concept of Asperger's Syndrome, but people afflicted with it see the world differently to others. Often they are unable to adapt to what most see as "normal." They are expected to adapt to the "norm" but are not able. It is not deliberate but "inbuilt." In reality we should adapt to them. 

What is the ‘Triad of Impairments’ in Autism?

Traditionally the Triad of Impairments in autism are seen as

1. Difficulty with communication
  2. Difficulty with behaviour or social interaction
  3. Difficulty with social skills.

https://autismawarenesscentre.com/lessons-learned-from-john-simpson/

Another common issue is little or no concept of abstract thought.

If you see a persons leg in plaster you can relate to that, but how do you relate to a person whose brain is wired differently to yours?

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 3

38 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Happy Nomad. I don't know whether you have any concept of Asperger's Syndrome, but people afflicted with it see the world differently to others. Often they are unable to adapt to what most see as "normal." They are expected to adapt to the "norm" but are not able. It is not deliberate but "inbuilt." In reality we should adapt to them. 

If you see a persons leg in plaster you can relate to that, but how do you relate to a person whose brain is wired differently to yours?

Cheers Ray. Yes (through personal experience too). I am very well aware.

But thanks anyway.

There was an interesting thread on FB at the beginning of the lockdown. Again a lady boater saying she had only been moored for a week and already she had received  3 complaints about the smell from her engine and whats wrong with these house dwellers. Another boater replied that if 3 people told him he had BO he would check his deodorant not ask them whats wrong with their noses  

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

There was an interesting thread on FB at the beginning of the lockdown. Again a lady boater saying she had only been moored for a week and already she had received  3 complaints about the smell from her engine and whats wrong with these house dwellers. Another boater replied that if 3 people told him he had BO he would check his deodorant not ask them whats wrong with their noses  

Joke aside, its an interesting topic, do most narrow boaters completely dismiss the fact that a house owner paid bit more to have good view, and also not everybody is keen to have a new neighbour for 14 days looking at their garden and kids. There are miles of canal, why stay behind somebody's house?

28 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

Joke aside, its an interesting topic, do most narrow boaters completely dismiss the fact that a house owner paid bit more to have good view, and also not everybody is keen to have a new neighbour for 14 days looking at their garden and kids. There are miles of canal, why stay behind somebody's house?

Because it might  e handy for services and maybe Drs? You don't know their circumstances like I don't 

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

This is an interesting topic and well worth further discussion.

Don't know about other boaters but I do completely dismiss your first point - when spotting the view they must have noticed the canal. I completely agree with the rest of the post.

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

Fact - you don't own your view - and if you have half a brain you don't buy a house by a canal and then complain about the disturbance/lack of privacy as so many seem to these days...........

Oh and we pay £ '000's to use the canal system................

Edited by Halsey
  • Greenie 4

4 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I do completely dismiss your first point - when spotting the view...

As it was explained to me on my introduction to Town and Country Planning - "... you may pay for the view but you do not own it"

You can't refuse planning permission on the grounds you will spoil someone else's view (although you can on loss of light)

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

I have no knowledge of your statement and every sympathy if she is unwell - my point here is "we" can't win - young women like this are constantly banging on about equality but then expect to be treated as a special case when it suits - you can't have it both ways - better if she hadn't gone public - this issue is nothing new and nothing to do with the virus apart from the one affecting our "entitled" society at large.......................

16 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Because it might  e handy for services and maybe Drs? You don't know their circumstances like I don't 

think that's a poor excuse, as this girl has done she could have been moored at the spot she is now on, and avoided unnecessary conflict. I am not saying the house owner is right but I do get why he/she might be disturbed. Its one thing to have passing traffic another to have new neighbour.(as the people are allowed to stay at the same place due to corona virus)

Edited by restlessnomad

Just now, restlessnomad said:

think that's a poor excuse, as this girl has done she could have been moored at the spot she is now on, and avoided unnecessary conflict. 

As I understand it, they were never moored right outside the complainers’ house.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Halsey said:

I have no knowledge of your statement and every sympathy if she is unwell - my point here is "we" can't win - young women like this are constantly banging on about equality but then expect to be treated as a special case when it suits - you can't have it both ways - better if she hadn't gone public - this issue is nothing new and nothing to do with the virus apart from the one affecting our "entitled" society at large.......................

Like my son the young lady is not unwell from the conventional point of view. Yes she and her mother had to self isolate for a while. Is that what you refer to as "Unwell?"

Aspergers is not an "illness" it is a genetic hereditary condition. It cannot be "caught" but is passed on down generations through the genes.

As said my son has it but not my two girls. 

Edited by Ray T

1 minute ago, Ray T said:

Aspergers is not an "illness" it is a genetic hereditary condition.,

Is it? I thought it wasn’t known why some people are Aspergers / autistic? My cousin is autistic but there is no family history of it.