If you have spare computing capacity....

WotEver

Featured Posts

... then you might want to participate in https://foldingathome.org/

If you have a computer that's always on and it has an internet connection, then you can be part of a supercomputing exercise which analyses proteins etc as part of the investigation into Covid19.

No doubt the conspiracy theorists will now pour scorn on the exercise; that's fine, they don't have to participate.

• Greenie 1

I don't know who the son is doing it with but since he has been home from Uni Mid March his PC has been whirring away doing something similar.

I dont really understand it, Im just paying for the electric ?

Edited by rustydiver

38 minutes ago, WotEver said:

... then you might want to participate in https://foldingathome.org/

If you have a computer that's always on and it has an internet connection, then you can be part of a supercomputing exercise which analyses proteins etc as part of the investigation into Covid19.

No doubt the conspiracy theorists will now pour scorn on the exercise; that's fine, they don't have to participate.

Looks a fine idea to me. I am not in a pooter position to do it but anyone will do it I reckon that lives in a house, absolutely no sensible reason not to, thanks for sharing I will tell my kids about it. ?

28 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Mine is already looking for aliens with SETI

I used to do that but with various pc upgrades etc it stopped.  Then I stumbled upon this one. :)

1 hour ago, buccaneer66 said:

Mine is already looking for aliens with SETI

I thought they stopped that at the end of March?  The last work packet was sent out in April and the project is closing last I heard.  

If yours is still chomping away at a work packet, you'd better hurry it along a bit!

12 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I thought they stopped that at the end of March?  The last work packet was sent out in April and the project is closing last I heard.  

If yours is still chomping away at a work packet, you'd better hurry it along a bit!

Yes a final work packet is crunching but I have other projects running in BOINC as well.