Timescales for buying?

madsunday

Featured Posts

Been seriously looking to buy for a while. Some things have happened in my life to speed this up.

Just wandering that the rough timescale is from finding a boat you like and making an offer, to actually getting on your way is. This would be with getting a survey done

*note* I appreciate this is a how long is a bit of a string type question as it would depend on what surveys find etc but looking to find out your experiences so I have a ball park for different scenarios

To be honest, I suspect the current piece of string is considerably longer than it used to be. 

It could be anything from a few days up to a month during normal times depending upon availability of the people involved. 

@mrsmelly will be along in a bit, he's bought loads of boats, so may be able to give you an average. 

PS welcome to the forum 

Edited by rusty69

Rusty is correct there is no real answer. For instance my present boat I first set yes on at 11am and had paid for it in full at 1120.the wife first saw it about five days later when I drove it back to our mooring. 

Survey if u r having one is the problem.. 

Also I always make an offer and pay cash or bank transfer with funds in place so if u need to borrow that's a whole new bag of worms. 

Thanks for the input. Paying in cash so thats not an issue at least! 

So I suppose the real question then is what is rough turn-around time for getting a survey done (I appreciate at the moment everything is different because of COVID)?

2 minutes ago, madsunday said:

Thanks for the input. Paying in cash so thats not an issue at least! 

So I suppose the real question then is what is rough turn-around time for getting a survey done (I appreciate at the moment everything is different because of COVID)?

I have never had a survey but understand why some people do. I personaly know a very good surveyer but other members on here know surveyers they have been pleased with. You need to find a boat you are serious in looking at and have someone look it over before you spend money, I have looked at several over the years for people just to give an idea. When you find it get a surveyer that doesnt have to travel far and remember it needs dry docking to do a proper job. Also a decent boat correctly priced will sell quickly, despite covid.

I think a month should still be possible. There's nothing that can't happen and still maintain 2 meter separation if everyone has the will. I imagine some sellers will be keen to offload their boat in the current crisis. It would be one thing less to worry about.  Mind you, if you hang on a bit the market may well soften further if people lose their employment or worse. 

50 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I think a month should still be possible. There's nothing that can't happen and still maintain 2 meter separation if everyone has the will. I imagine some sellers will be keen to offload their boat in the current crisis. It would be one thing less to worry about.  Mind you, if you hang on a bit the market may well soften further if people lose their employment or worse. 

The time to buy a boat is when you see the one you like - waiting for a 10% drop in the market and letting the right one get away is not a passport to happiness................

A month sounds sensible but it depends on the brokers access to survey facilities many have them on site these days........just make sure its your choice of surveyor and you pay them

Edited by Halsey
  • Greenie 1

Don't forget to factor in possible faults found during the survey . 

I had to renegotiate a price due to unforeseen discovery of faults which lost a few days . Also a repair needed to make the boat safe took a couple of weeks.

I don't expect surveyors are very busy at the moment so getting a surveyor  to a boat inside a weeks is probably achievable. Whether the boat can be lifted for inspection may be a deciding factor.