Thoughts on this NB

Featured Posts

I agree with all of the comments re the boat market picking up. Quite a few peeps in this marina this week looking at boats.

It is interesting that the OP was gazumped after asking on here. It seems a risk to expose an interest in a boat and get 20 positive replies. You really then DO have to move quickly as a lot of peeps do read these threads. .....but then if you don't ask, them you don't get the feedback. 

Tip for the OP. Look through who has given the most useful advice.... then PM a small group of them asking about the next boat you are interested in. That way you get the input without letting the world know. If you are a 'lurker', you will likely know who to listen to.

• Greenie 1

Shame the op missed that as its a lot of boat for the money in my opinion.

Makes me wonder what mine is worth as is similar in fit out and layout but is a 2007 taylor wilson hull and i paid over 7k more a few years bk....eeek depreciating asset there lol ahhhhhh i knew it would be the case so gotta look at the joy from it too so sod it who cares im happy.

Thanks Dr Bob, 

It was a dilemma to post in the first place as there was always a possibility this could happen, however as we are looking for our first boat we needed advice and suggestions and all information has been greatly received. However lesson learnt and in the future will look to PM people who have provided sound advice on this thread. 
Once again, thanks to you all. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Tip for the OP. Look through who has given the most useful advice.... then PM a small group of them asking about the next boat you are interested in. That way you get the input without letting the world know. If you are a 'lurker', you will likely know who to listen to.

What a cunning stunt! Have a greeno for your good advice.

On 08/05/2020 at 20:50, Bee said:

The fact that you have had more than 20 replies and nobody has condemned the boat

Having been on the forum for far too many years the above made me laugh.

The boat must be either perfect or the government is now spraying soma via chemtrails. 

:)

just noticed the OP was gazumped, I am sorry you missed out, it did look a decent boat

Edited by tree monkey

On 19/05/2020 at 09:08, Richie and Kat TP said:

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately, someone put an offer in on the Sunday (10th May) and pipped us to the post (We were going to put an offer in on the Monday morning) so the search continues!! 

When I was researching the narrowboat market in 2010, (waiting for a house to be ready to sell, and then sell), it was quite clear that the ones I would have been interested in were selling very quickly. As soon as the house went under offer the following June, the market didn't seem to have changed, and I had a list of about 5 or 6 I was planning to view on a particular day, and was hoping I would find one where I could offer at the viewing. Rather than ordering the viewings by route and distance, I arranged them based on preference.

As it turned out, the first boat we viewed ticked enough of the boxes, and was such a good deal, we offered the asking price there and then. Got it surveyed and bought as fast as we could. Didn't view any of the others.

Your experience, (and mine, and many others over the years), suggests that as soon as you see a boat that ticks enough boxes, and you reach the point that you want to offer - do it as soon as you can. For example.... We don't know when you decided to "offer on Monday" but, if that was late Friday, or sometime on Saturday, that was the time to send the email AND make the call.

23 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I know that Derbyshire is the middle of nowhere, but, really - the other side of the world …………………………………….

Ah, I may have been a bit remiss in updating my location...and not worth changing now...

It helps to build relationships with brokers.

When I was looking to buy in 2014, I started visiting brokers in 2013 and letting them know I would be buying the next year. That way they knew roughly what I was looking for.

It paid off because one of the brokers that I had kept in touch with let me know that the boat I eventually bought was coming up for sale before it was advertised.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

It helps to build relationships with brokers.

When I was looking to buy in 2014, I started visiting brokers in 2013 and letting them know I would be buying the next year. That way they knew roughly what I was looking for.

It paid off because one of the brokers that I had kept in touch with let me know that the boat I eventually bought was coming up for sale before it was advertised.

As you say it all comes down to how you present yourself to the broker.  They get so many folks who are just kicking the tyres that they just switch off after a while.  Even if your circumstances currently preclude you from buying if you can demonstrate that you are going to make it happen sooner or later most brokers will make the effort to keep you informed.

• Greenie 1

On 19/05/2020 at 09:08, Richie and Kat TP said:

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately, someone put an offer in on the Sunday (10th May) and pipped us to the post (We were going to put an offer in on the Monday morning) so the search continues!! 

Never mind. Personally I didn't like the pram hood in the middle of the roof. I'm not sure why you'd want one there. ?

https://www.venetianmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/5178.aspx

• Haha 2