Thoughts on this NB

Featured Posts

20 hours ago, The Gravy Boater said:

Ask him to check that there has been no interraction between the electrical cabling and the polystyrene if it is not conduited...

And how would he do that without ripping off panels?

19 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

The manufacturers think it does.  It doesn't crack or shrink or look any different, it's just that the gases inside the sprayfoam "bubbles" either degrade or escape.

I'd like to know more. Do you have a link or an idea where I could find this?

My boat feels well insulated so I'm not worried about falling R values. But, I do think I suffered during the stage where I was cutting back superfluous sprayfoam shortly after it was applied. I don't know exactly how long after, it might have been 3 days or 3 weeks, but not longer.  I also think dust arising also caused me problems and I may be somewhat sensitised to it.  I am now much more careful about cleaning up after any disturbance of the foam.  After 10 years with a boat this reinforces my feeling that there is no perfect solution to anything.  

Would I get sprayfoam put in another boat?  I think I am more persuaded than before to buy a 2nd hand boat with sprayfoam in it that has been professionally applied to a good standard and covered a good few years before I take the boat, instead of fitting out a sailaway myself as I did.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/05/2020 at 19:44, system 4-50 said:

My boat feels well insulated so I'm not worried about falling R values. But, I do think I suffered during the stage where I was cutting back superfluous sprayfoam shortly after it was applied. I don't know exactly how long after, it might have been 3 days or 3 weeks, but not longer.  I also think dust arising also caused me problems and I may be somewhat sensitised to it.  I am now much more careful about cleaning up after any disturbance of the foam.  After 10 years with a boat this reinforces my feeling that there is no perfect solution to anything.  

Would I get sprayfoam put in another boat?  I think I am more persuaded than before to buy a 2nd hand boat with sprayfoam in it that has been professionally applied to a good standard and covered a good few years before I take the boat, instead of fitting out a sailaway myself as I did.

Interesting stuff.  The boat I'm buying has polystyrene insulation (an oversight on my part as the type wasn't listed and I forgot to ask, after having asked about the 30 boats I had looked at beforehand... d'er).  Having researched it further I'm not too bothered about it.  Me being me I'm likely to refit the boat in stages anyway and will replace the insulation where possible with more modern materials.  You clearly know your stuff but for anyone who would like to know more about insulation, I found this video by Greg Virgoe very informative.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, The Gravy Boater said:

for anyone who would like to know more about insulation, I found this video by Greg Virgoe very informative.

Excellent stuff.  Thanks for posting :)

17 minutes ago, Richie and Kat TP said:

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately, someone put an offer in on the Sunday (10th May) and pipped us to the post (We were going to put an offer in on the Monday morning) so the search continues!! 

Lesson learnt!! Good boats correctly priced sell very quickly and always have. The virus wont be changing things methinks peeps will want more holidays in the UK nowadays so the prices will not drop anytime soon. I did think they would but it seems they are not going to.

• Greenie 2

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Lesson learnt!! Good boats correctly priced sell very quickly and always have. The virus wont be changing things methinks peeps will want more holidays in the UK nowadays so the prices will not drop anytime soon. I did think they would but it seems they are not going to.

You only have to look at Rugby boat sales, almost every boat they have listed is either sold or under offer.

• Greenie 2

48 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Does that suggest Covid 19 has resulted in more sellers and more buyers?

More likely decent boats at sensible prices rather than trying to screw the last pound out of a sale??

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Does that suggest Covid 19 has resulted in more sellers and more buyers?

Rugby boats always seem to have a good turnover of sales regardless of Covid 19.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Rugby boats always seem to have a good turnover of sales regardless of Covid 19.

Yes James and all the staff are really professional. No bull shxt just straight honest and a pleasure to do business with. Sold my old boat from going live on his website in less than 12 hrs. Well it was a good boat?

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Yes James and all the staff are really professional. No bull shxt just straight honest and a pleasure to do business with. Sold my old boat from going live on his website in less than 12 hrs. Well it was a good boat?

Bought my boat from them a few years back within 12 hours of it going on the website, turned out to be a good'un for a sensible price. A pleasure to deal with the folk there too, probably one of the last few boats Dom sold before he move on from the business. The new owner sounds very much like him from the videos I've seen of their boat tours. 

Our boat went on brokerage the day before lockdown, today was the first day the Marina was open for viewings and the boat has sold, there seems to be pent up demand waiting to be unleashed. We were worried that there would be a very slow restart to sales or chancers making ridiculously low offers.

Edited by PeterF
Grammar error

I keep reading bookings to camp sites in UK up 500% - assume people want to/have to stay in UK plus camping uses your own bedding so no hygiene issues. I think once things open the canals might be quite busy later this year?

13 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Boats are definitely selling fast at the moment which is a right PITA when you are the other side of the world and trying to buy one...

I know that Derbyshire is the middle of nowhere, but, really - the other side of the world …………………………………….

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

I keep reading bookings to camp sites in UK up 500% - assume people want to/have to stay in UK plus camping uses your own bedding so no hygiene issues. I think once things open the canals might be quite busy later this year?

An article on the telly yesterday from a caravan dealership that has experienced a massive surge in new and used caravan sales since restrictions have been lifted, so that would be in line with that thinking.

If you parallel that across to boats, holiday cottages etc etc. I to think holidaying in the UK this year is going to be very fashionable. 

19 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

An article on the telly yesterday from a caravan dealership that has experienced a massive surge in new and used caravan sales since restrictions have been lifted, so that would be in line with that thinking.

If you parallel that across to boats, holiday cottages etc etc. I to think holidaying in the UK this year is going to be very fashionable. 

I agree and its a damn shame as prices will rise for those of us who already know its the best country in the World for olidays :(