Thoughts on this NB

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Richie and Kat TP said:

Hi Rob, 

I believe it does but just wanted some opinions/advice from some more seasoned boaters regarding price etc

Regards

Richard 

It’s a decent looking boat, not over expensive. The make’s name rings some bells, try putting Hixon into the search facility at the top right of the main page of the Forum.

Seems a lot of boat for the money.

The equipment is geared around marina living (main source of hot water is a 240V immersion). If you are cruising, the calorifier on the engine will provide hot water. Otherwise, you need to ensure you have a 240V landline.

Personally I don't like layouts that have the bed at the back - that is where you are likely to be entering wet, dirty from helming in bad weather. Having to squeeze past your bed and walk to the middle of the  boat to wash hands has never made sense to me. However plenty of people do have this layout, so I guess that is a personal preference.

27 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Seems a lot of boat for the money.

The equipment is geared around marina living (main source of hot water is a 240V immersion). If you are cruising, the calorifier on the engine will provide hot water. Otherwise, you need to ensure you have a 240V landline.

Personally I don't like layouts that have the bed at the back - that is where you are likely to be entering wet, dirty from helming in bad weather. Having to squeeze past your bed and walk to the middle of the  boat to wash hands has never made sense to me. However plenty of people do have this layout, so I guess that is a personal preference.

Atleast there is an area before the bedroom where you can get rid of wet gear on this boat. See picture 10.

looks fine to me. Depends what you want it for? If its to liveaboard its at least ten feet too short but still looks fine without viewing it. Its basic but that can be a great help in some cases.

• Greenie 1

The mains fridge will mean running the inverter all the time you are out, OK if the battery bank is big enough and the inverter efficient enough. Some solar would help, in summer.

Hixon hulls have a fair reputation I know several folks who are happy with them. Fit out is plain but tidy. Standard rear bedroom is most common layout.

PRM120 is a mechanical clutch gearbox, I would prefer hydraulic, PRM150 or PRM 280 but that's just me.

Engine hours are not excessive providing it has been cared for.

I would demand a new BSC before sale.

Price is your choice of course but it seems reasonable, offer £4k or £5k less unless  YOUR  survey throws up anythingnasty, never accept someone else's survey.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

Survey - survey - survey!

If you truly have the cash available and are ready to go drive a hard bargain.............

Otherwise it looks a pretty good basic first timer - remember Venetian are part of Whilton so they won't be doing you any favours - that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it just be careful - ask them outright if they own it??

Seems a reasonable price to start from. You should get a few £K off that too.

Im not a fan of trad stern boats but if that is what you want fair enough.

The 240v fridge would be a neg for me too. They are cheaper than 12v ones but not ideal on a boat that moves a lot off grid.  I would be investing in a 12v model and some solar too.

I like the kitchen finish, looks smart. Plenty of room in the lounge too.

I also prefer cross beds but again thats an issue of personal preference.

If it ticks your boxes its definitely worth serious consideration.

46 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Survey - survey - survey!

If you truly have the cash available and are ready to go drive a hard bargain.............

Otherwise it looks a pretty good basic first timer - remember Venetian are part of Whilton so they won't be doing you any favours - that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it just be careful - ask them outright if they own it??

Completely agree about the survey but feel your being a tad harsh towards Whilton.

I had my own survey done (not on their list of local surveyors) and they sorted a large chunk off the list that got highlighted. Anything regarding a BSC they will definitely sort, however mine included welding around the chimney (pretty obvious, didn't need a survey to tell me it needed doing and wouldn't have bought it unless it was addressed), a new alternator, blacked (which I never requested as I'd budgeted to get it done) and list of minor jobs (stern gland repack, new rudder cup, etc).

Any queries feel free to PM me, I'd definitely go and look at it and grab a couple of other sets of keys at a similar price range to view and compare!

I'm surprised that a 2004 built boat has polystyrene insulation, it is not as effective as sprayfoam, nor as flame retardant, but other than that it seems a lot of boat for the money.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

Yeah if it's Venetian they will do a BSC with sale.

I see they haven't left the cratch cover on.  Does it have one and what is its condition, they are not cheap.

If it wasn't a trad it would tick most of my boxes.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

If its to liveaboard its at least ten feet too short

You must like to live in style mrsmelly... plenty of people live on shorter boats. ;)  Also any bigger and you will not be able to cruise the whole network.

I don't get why people don't like trads you must like getting cold and wet or perhaps you just put the pram hood up plug in and stay put then I perhaps get it.

Its a good job we aren't all the same..................

16 minutes ago, manicpb said:

feel you're being a tad harsh towards Whilton...............

Its called experience.........

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I'm surprised that a 2004 built boat has polystyrene insulation, it is not as effective as sprayfoam, nor as flame retardant, but other than that it seems a lot of boat for the money.

Nothing wrong with Poly insulation as such its like everything its how it was done - it does point to the possibility of a DIY or less experienced fitter so again check this by asking questions  - lots of them

6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

It's been commented elsewhere that spray foam off-gasses and shrinks over time, so after 10 years it's no better than polystyrene.  Also that the main issue with polystyrene is that it takes more skill to fit it correctly, so if the builder wasn't competent it would certainly be worse than other materials.  Your surveyor should be able to give you an idea of how good the fit out was and materials used.  Ask him to check that there has been no interraction between the electrical cabling and the polystyrene if it is not conduited but that really shouldn't be an issue... more of a 90's thing.  

Worth a look, I would want my own gas safe BSC GAS SAFE examiner to do the Certificate, and be on board when it is done.

I  bought a similar boat a year ago, so assuming you get 10% off [Venetian] its not a bad price IF it is in good nick, not rusty.

It lacks charm, but that is 'cos the curtains have been binned. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, The Gravy Boater said:

It's been commented elsewhere that spray foam off-gasses and shrinks over time, so after 10 years it's no better than polystyrene. 

I just don't believe that it does that.  Perhaps if it incorrectly formulated as a DIY job it might.  My professionally applied sprayfoam looks as good now as the day I saw it made, 10 years ago last December.  

• Greenie 1

We have a 57ft trad stern Hixon boat (2003) we paid similar price for ours 9 years ago (from Whilton) . Survey done at time showed no problems up.. Surveyor and boatyards that have blacked/ worked on ours have commented that steelwork was of good quality and has nice lines.. 

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

I just don't believe that it does that.  Perhaps if it incorrectly formulated as a DIY job it might.  My professionally applied sprayfoam looks as good now as the day I saw it made, 10 years ago last December.  

Mine is 20 years

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

The manufacturers think it does.  It doesn't crack or shrink or look any different, it's just that the gases inside the sprayfoam "bubbles" either degrade or escape.  

What you now have after 10 years is perfectly fitted polystrene from an insulation perspective.  It's still not flammable though ... hopefully!

The fact that you have had more than 20 replies and nobody has condemned the boat to be scrap or worthless must mean that its OK and much the same with me. If the underwater hull is reasonable and a surveyor can't find anything awful then it is probably a good example of its type. Personally I like the layout, the engine probably has years of life in it, the systems don't seem to be over complicated and it doesn't look as if it was owned by a gang of hells angels. No Python or Aquadrive so I would check the engine installation and the polystyrene insulation is indeed a bit unusual. As for price I don't really know but to get the same boat new might cost the best part of 2.5 times as much.