Hard standing needed North West area

Featured Posts

If anybody knows of any hard standing available or coming in the North West please tell. For a 45 foot NB rebuild/fub..

Captain Faffer :)

Botany Bay Boatyard, Chorley

Handy enough for you - it's halfway between your mooring and your house!

Do you want a phone number?

(There was an issue last year with them being stupid about prices, but that's now sorted out ... )

11 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

(There was an issue last year with them being stupid about prices, but that's now sorted out ... )

I thought they had been given notice, or has that all changed since last summer

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought they had been given notice, or has that all changed since last summer

Rumour mill I think - Shaun owns the land.  

Actually, Wayne could probably pick up some work if he gets in with that bunch, so it's probably worth a gander just for that.

19 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

My first port of call for her that place. i called Shaun this morning but no answer. 

Cant think of other hard standings around.  I struggled for the my Norman last year

I have spoke to Mons bridge in the past and can go on but they charge me. Still no good as they couldnt even lift my Norman out there, to big apparently. So no chance with a NB.

Also the boat is at Adlington Chorley so rather keep it off the Lanky for ease. 

Just now, W+T said:

I have spoke to Mons bridge in the past and can go on but they charge me. Still no good as they couldnt even lift my Norman out there, to big apparently. So no chance with a NB.

Also the boat is at Adlington Chorley so rather keep it off the Lanky for ease. 

Ooh! Which one?

Just now, Ianws said:

There is also Wheelton boatyard. However, all locks are currently closed due to water shortages.

Andy doesn't usually do long term storage - just a couple of weeks at a time because of the size of the yard.  

I did hear rumours that Steptoes' Yard up at Clayton-le-moors have started doing craning out and blacking, but I haven't been that way for over a year so I don't know if if they allow long-term storage or if it's anything to do with Steve's yard next door.

1 hour ago, W+T said:

The one a girl spoke of the other week. The one that was her grandads and sort of sinking but not.

Somehow I missed that entire thread.

If you need it towing Adlington to Chorley it can be arranged - sounds like work that can't be done from home to me - by one of a selection of different boats on that pound who would be glad of a valid excuse to pootle a few miles with a boat on cross-straps. 

Give me a yell if you need it sorting.

Hi Wayne - don’t know who owns it but it might be worth asking around near me at galgate, at galgate mill.  There was a nb stored there for years (and may still be).  It’s round the back near the glass/double glazing lock up

4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Somehow I missed that entire thread.

If you need it towing Adlington to Chorley it can be arranged - sounds like work that can't be done from home to me - by one of a selection of different boats on that pound who would be glad of a valid excuse to pootle a few miles with a boat on cross-straps. 

Give me a yell if you need it sorting.

I am going back to morrow to check on it and pump it out a bit and see if i can get the engine running. Good old Lister ST2. The boat is at Adlington but will need going anywhere. Not to Chorley, that was just the area the boat is in.  

2 hours ago, ian west said:

Hi Wayne - don’t know who owns it but it might be worth asking around near me at galgate, at galgate mill.  There was a nb stored there for years (and may still be).  It’s round the back near the glass/double glazing lock up

Hi Ian, at the minute she wants it staying on the L&L really, if need be and it come to it then it could be moved up there,  i am good for going up there to do the work on it.

5 hours ago, Ianws said:

There is also Wheelton boatyard. However, all locks are currently closed due to water shortages.

AH yes, ill try them next week, unless there open tomorrow ill ring them. Cant  believe i forgot about them, not been that neck of the woods for years, used to look that pub. 

1 minute ago, W+T said:

The boat is at Adlington but will need going anywhere. Not to Chorley, that was just the area the boat is in.

Do you know the L&L locks are all shut Wigan to Bingley?

The only boatyard you can get to for lifting out is Botany, as you can't slip a 45' boat at Adlington (White Bear) or Heath Charnock (Ellerbeck). 

CRT will tell us in 2 weeks what the next plan is, but it's looking like June will be the very earliest they will open Wigan or Johnsons' Hillock locks.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Do you know the L&L locks are all shut Wigan to Bingley?

The only boatyard you can get to for lifting out is Botany, as you can't slip a 45' boat at Adlington (White Bear) or Heath Charnock (Ellerbeck). 

CRT will tell us in 2 weeks what the next plan is, but it's looking like June will be the very earliest they will open Wigan or Johnsons' Hillock locks.

i know most places are closed , just getting ready and planning ahead for it all.  

• Greenie 1

Yesterday 

Update on 07/05/2020:

Further to the notice of 27 April, please follow this link to view the water resource FAQ

A further update will be issued on Friday 22 May.

Please follow all guidance relating to Coronavirus when using the canals and towpaths until further notice.  Up to date information on this can be found on this link: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-boating-faqs

Original message:

Leeds & Liverpool Canal

To facilitate essential maintenance works at Barrowford and Whitemoor reservoirs, which supply the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, water levels have been kept at a lower level than normal.  This draw down along with the continued low rainfall means that we have started the boating season with less water than we need for unrestricted movement for the coming months.  With forecasts for further dry weather and Coronavirus related restrictions already in place, we have taken the decision to protect water resources further by implementing closures on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal Lock Flights from lunchtime on Tuesday 28 April 2020.  

The following locks will be affected:

Wigan Flight (Locks 65 to 85)

Johnsons Hillocks (58 to 64)

Blackburn Locks (52 to 55) – please note that Locks 56 and 57 at the bottom of the flight will remain open to allow access / winding for the services.

Barrowford Locks (45 to 51)

Greenberfield Locks (42 to 44)

Bank Newton Locks (36 to 41) 

Gargrave (Holme Bridge Lock 30)

Bingley Five Rise Locks (25 to 29)

To conserve as much water as possible while these closures are in place, all flights will be padlocked closed and the gates will be ashed up to reduce leakage.  To prevent unauthorised access through vandalism, measures may be taken to make the locks inoperable. 

Implementing these closures now means that we can reduce the feed to conserve water so that our canals can remain open for as long as possible for the rest of the year, albeit with some restrictions.  It’s not clear how long the closure will last for but it’s likely to be throughout May and potentially beyond if there is no significant, sustained rainfall.  While the closure will prevent use of the lock flights, cruising between the locks for essential purposes will remain available and the towpaths will be open for the local community to use in line with Government guidance.  Please follow all guidance relating to Coronavirus when using the canals and towpaths until further notice.  Up to date information on this can be found on this link: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-boating-faqs

If you have a Liverpool Canal Link or Ribble Link booking and need some advice, please contact us on 03030 404040

An update will be issued next week along with a water resource FAQ. 

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/17463/wigan-flight-to-bingley-five-rise-leeds-and-liverpool-canal

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

1 minute ago, Ianws said:

please follow this link to view the water resource FAQ

Did you follow the link? - 10% of expected rainfall Lancashire side of the canal in April, not been much so far in May.  Only 4% Yorkshire side, so that should be worse off, but they tend to lock and ash up Barrowford to keep Bingley Five Rise in water.

It sounds like they emptied two of the brim full reservoirs for maintenance work (again!), and it hasn't rained in the right places since so they are still empty.

Yesterday 

Update on 07/05/2020:

Further to the notice of 27 April, please follow this link to view the water resource FAQ

A further update will be issued on Friday 22 May.

Please follow all guidance relating to Coronavirus when using the canals and towpaths until further notice.  Up to date information on this can be found on this link: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-boating-faqs

Original message:

Leeds & Liverpool Canal

To facilitate essential maintenance works at Barrowford and Whitemoor reservoirs, which supply the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, water levels have been kept at a lower level than normal.  This draw down along with the continued low rainfall means that we have started the boating season with less water than we need for unrestricted movement for the coming months.  With forecasts for further dry weather and Coronavirus related restrictions already in place, we have taken the decision to protect water resources further by implementing closures on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal Lock Flights from lunchtime on Tuesday 28 April 2020.  

The following locks will be affected:

Wigan Flight (Locks 65 to 85)

Johnsons Hillocks (58 to 64)

Blackburn Locks (52 to 55) – please note that Locks 56 and 57 at the bottom of the flight will remain open to allow access / winding for the services.

Barrowford Locks (45 to 51)

Greenberfield Locks (42 to 44)

Bank Newton Locks (36 to 41) 

Gargrave (Holme Bridge Lock 30)

Bingley Five Rise Locks (25 to 29)

To conserve as much water as possible while these closures are in place, all flights will be padlocked closed and the gates will be ashed up to reduce leakage.  To prevent unauthorised access through vandalism, measures may be taken to make the locks inoperable. 

Implementing these closures now means that we can reduce the feed to conserve water so that our canals can remain open for as long as possible for the rest of the year, albeit with some restrictions.  It’s not clear how long the closure will last for but it’s likely to be throughout May and potentially beyond if there is no significant, sustained rainfall.  While the closure will prevent use of the lock flights, cruising between the locks for essential purposes will remain available and the towpaths will be open for the local community to use in line with Government guidance.  Please follow all guidance relating to Coronavirus when using the canals and towpaths until further notice.  Up to date information on this can be found on this link: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-boating-faqs

If you have a Liverpool Canal Link or Ribble Link booking and need some advice, please contact us on 03030 404040

An update will be issued next week along with a water resource FAQ. 

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/17463/wigan-flight-to-bingley-five-rise-leeds-and-liverpool-canal

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Sorry, I didn’t mean to post that again. Given lack of rain recently I doubt things will change in the near future. Botany Bay May be the only option for the foreseeable. In 2018 the locks were all closed for a considerable period due to water shortages and I had to delay blacking for a year. We had loads of rain earlier this year but that’s no use now seeing they chose to empty the reservoirs. 

Ah well, this boat is going nowhere for a good while. 

Thanks all for the help. much a i expected really but had to ask incase i missed anywhere.

Oh and @Ianws i called Wheelton, they only do short term standings. 

Captain Faffer :)

Is Botany Bay not an option? We had our boat blacked at Wheelton last year. There were a few boats being worked on but didn’t know it was only short term. Sorry! Very happy with the service from Andy and the team at Wheelton.