Flood locks

Featured Posts

Wisbech Lock belongs in a category of it's own! One of the more bizarre water supply arrangements in the history of canals, letting the tide fill the canal every few weeks - I'm not sure how water levels operated between times as I think Bradshaw states the canal was virtually un-navigable every other week until they let the tide in.  

On 20/05/2020 at 11:52, buccaneer66 said:

Would you count this one Patrick?

Stamford canal at West Deeping, the highlighted bit is the site of a flood lock and West Deeping bridge, info taken from Ken Otters excellent website on the canal Stamford Canal

Interesting - I know of the Stamford Canal but know little about it.

Working definition of a flood lock is based on it's Modus Operandi - normally level but can work as a lock is the river side of the lock is higher than the canal side - some variants will count but most won't. How did this lock operate?

*for pedants, I wonder if, for a single lock, this should be Modus Operandum ;) 

48 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

*for pedants, I wonder if, for a single lock, this should be Modus Operandum ;) 

Well it's nearly 50 years since my school Latin, but I think Modus Operandi is correct since Operandi is the case (genitive?) which means "of operation".

Edited by David Mack

47 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Well it's nearly 50 years since my school Latin, but I think Modus Operandi is correct since Operandi is the case (genitive?) which means "of operation".

Did your school say, like mine, that knowledge of Latin would be useful on occasions?

• 1 month later...

The ,map of the Nottingham Canal- top image- is at the Junction with the Trent Navigation and the Nottingham Canal. the Lock on the Nottingham was the start of a flight of locks there, now disused.  The stop gates are on the Trent Navigation section.The boats having passed Beeston Lock rose to the same level as passed through Nottingham before descending again to the Trent. There is no evident link with flood locks, it would appear, but with tolls may be it is a different matter, or closing of for maintenance purposes. It would of interest to see  the uses the stop gates were put to. 

What about this one between the Old Bedford and New Bedford rivers. Not there anymore but the earth works are still there. I guess as the tide comes in this far this could be viewed as a tidal lock but would also have prevented the New Bedford filling up the floodplain during flooding seasons??

mepal.png

19 minutes ago, Ouse on Board? said:

What about this one between the Old Bedford and New Bedford rivers. Not there anymore but the earth works are still there. I guess as the tide comes in this far this could be viewed as a tidal lock but would also have prevented the New Bedford filling up the floodplain during flooding seasons??

mepal.png

Was that link ever navigable? I would have thought more likely that this was an alternative sluice for filling up the Washes. 

By the way some nice shots of the washes, and of Earith and Denver sluices, in this fabulous recent BBC documentary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000kjrl/a-wild-year-series-1-2-the-fens  

mepal.jpg.3f4ad9397d6e6c9bb9396bb6e8994d37.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Im not 100% sure but it looks wide enough to be navigable and i have heard stories of boats passing through in the past (and of it being re-commissioned as part of this on going fen-rivers-big-wonderful-link-it to-everything-project, along with horseway lock and Welches)

1 minute ago, Ouse on Board? said:

Im not 100% sure but it looks wide enough to be navigable and i have heard stories of boats passing through in the past (and of it being re-commissioned as part of this on going fen-rivers-big-wonderful-link-it to-everything-project, along with horseway lock and Welches)

Interesting. I may go and explore myself. For my summer hols this year the destination is Horseway lock. I am not expecting it to be very busy.

Just now, Scholar Gypsy said:

Interesting. I may go and explore myself. For my summer hols this year the destination is Horseway lock. I am not expecting it to be very busy.

No I cant imagine it will be. I don't ever recall seeing a boat down there in all the years i've lived in that area. I tell a lie, a couple of canoes once day while i was cycling past. its a lovely area though, nice and peaceful and the bridge at the entrance to that bit of the cut is pretty old (but you wouldn't know from driving over)

• Greenie 1

One of several photos I've seen since I started this thread - Stackallen Guard Lock on the Boyne. Originally built as guard gates (i.e. one pair only) they were upgraded to a lock as the gates were often closed for up to five months in winter as the river was high. This must have been particularly frustrating as boats only joined the river here for about 300 yards before entering the longest canal cut of the lot - about 5 miles and three locks up to the terminus in Navan 

edited to add - picture is featured in Holten's book - which I thoroughly recommend if you're seriously interested in the Boyne

Stackallen Guard Lock Holten 2 edit.jpg

Edited by magpie patrick