Water heater

Featured Posts

Please can anyone tell me if a carver cascade balanced flue water heater from a caravan be  a good safe substitute  for my existing old wall hung poloma ,it would need to be covered on rear deck with flue terminal fixed stern ,how do they operate regarding supplying it with a low bow water tank ,do they operate same as poloma  when you turn on tap it pumps and heats or what,  thanks all 

They are great. I have one on my motorhome. They don't operate like paloma they are a small tank and when hot after say 20 minutes mine supplies enough for a couple of quick boat type showers. Ours is plumbed in to the tank just as it would be on a boat and I have a parmax 1 pump as on the boat. Provided its correctly vented I would say go for it. 

3 hours ago, Crow said:

Please can anyone tell me if a carver cascade balanced flue water heater from a caravan be  a good safe substitute  for my existing old wall hung poloma ,it would need to be covered on rear deck with flue terminal fixed stern ,how do they operate regarding supplying it with a low bow water tank ,do they operate same as poloma  when you turn on tap it pumps and heats or what,  thanks all 

They are not an instantaneous water heater. They have a thermostat and fire up a small burner which heats the water and then stores it in a small tank. They can work on 240v too which does the same thing. 

As you draw water from the storage tank its replaced with cold water which in turn is heated if its on.

The flue assembly is quite large and needs a flat surface to adhere to. Its modern equivalent the Alde has a much smaller flue. I think you will struggle to find a location on a narrowboat hull that would accomodate the flue assembly. You could find space on a cabin side though. But if the cabin side is inclined, which most are, it would affect the installation angle of the boiler. The surface really needs to be vertical.

In short, IMHO they are pretty unsuitable for use on a boat.

They are primarily designed for leisure vehicles and adapting one to suit a boat will probaly lead to lots of heartache and expense.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Thanks,it’s just that a new wall mounted  balanced flue one has a flue 3 ft long ,well maybe not that long ,but to long for what I want,it’s only on a little 26 ft springer so limited space for a colfier ,my rear deck has alloy sides 3 ft high and a canopy, was thinking putting it under seating on rear deck and vent through one side, was just a thought.

5A5D31EC-F645-40D9-9382-2BE88DDAA4E3.jpeg

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

They are great. I have one on my motorhome. They don't operate like paloma they are a small tank and when hot after say 20 minutes mine supplies enough for a couple of quick boat type showers. Ours is plumbed in to the tank just as it would be on a boat and I have a parmax 1 pump as on the boat. Provided its correctly vented I would say go for it. 

Thank you ,  I’ll do a bit of measuring

13 minutes ago, Crow said:

Thanks,it’s just that a new wall mounted  balanced flue one has a flue 3 ft long ,well maybe not that long ,but to long for what I want,it’s only on a little 26 ft springer so limited space for a colfier ,my rear deck has alloy sides 3 ft high and a canopy, was thinking putting it under seating on rear deck and vent through one side, was just a thought.

You will need to be very careful how close you get to the waterline. I suspect you will be too close given the flue terminal size.

20 minutes ago, Crow said:

This is where I mean

88EEBA83-ED1E-4D04-A134-2089CF537DA0.png

Should be fine if you make a decent surround for it. Pipework would need protecting from freezing as would the heater unit so may be not ideal for winter? 

Dolphin cruisers (small fibreglass boats)  used to all have the Carver fitted in them-at least when they were made by Richard Allen in Bedford.

Can remember working on one and think the flue was on the transom just above the pod. Probably about 20 years ago now so could be completely wrong...

34 minutes ago, Crow said:

This is where I mean

Ah right, thats higher than I thought. What exactly is behind there? It will need boxing in if its just open deck.

3 minutes ago, Crow said:

There’s a bench seat across  and a load of space underneath

Then I suspect there will be enough room. They were designed to fit underneath the front bench seats of caravans. But of course you will need to check dimensions.

I havent gotten into the whole issue of who is allowed to install and connect one but I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to discuss.

Anyway good luck!.

Well  I’ve bit the bullet and decided to put it here. ,it’s 9 inc above water line ,to bottom of vent cloaking plate,I’ll make a good steel rubbing guard with outside radius to deflect any eventual mis haps  

49850213-593C-48D9-A094-99F696298BBD.jpeg

AB7B4A01-BA40-41CC-97E8-61AC05382BE8.jpeg

EAD2F1B1-5B4E-445E-897C-516B3DE7E1EB.jpeg

Been nice today buddy,I’ve a day on it tomorrow to triangulate a section in it as the sides re not vertical,it will be tomorrow as heater  needs to be  In horizontal plane ,and sq to side,brother in law is gas safe reg so I’ll spring it on him to attach gas pipework,need to get 2 new pipe tails to fit in heater,at least Itl be safer than the old paloma and free up a bit of wall space 

them new wall mounted instantaneous balanced flu ones have to long a flue,who knows if I’ve done right or wrong ,time will tell 

LPG. Didn’t know it made any difference if it was  fitted in a boat or a aeroplane ,the attachments will be  just the same, I’m sure the bss man will let me know if he’s not happy

12 hours ago, Crow said:

LPG. Didn’t know it made any difference if it was  fitted in a boat or a aeroplane

It does. Have a look at his card, if he’s done the extra training for boats he will have that endorsement. The BSS examiner couldn’t care less. 

The main differences are things like no soldered joints, no unnecessary joints, flexibles only allowed in specific scenarios... etc. 

On 08/05/2020 at 20:12, Crow said:

Well  I’ve bit the bullet and decided to put it here. ,it’s 9 inc above water line ,to bottom of vent cloaking plate,I’ll make a good steel rubbing guard with outside radius to deflect any eventual mis haps  

49850213-593C-48D9-A094-99F696298BBD.jpeg

AB7B4A01-BA40-41CC-97E8-61AC05382BE8.jpeg

EAD2F1B1-5B4E-445E-897C-516B3DE7E1EB.jpeg

A bit late to ask this but once a good guard is fitted are you going to be OK in locks

3 minutes ago, Halsey said:

A bit late to ask this but once a good guard is fitted are you going to be OK in locks

Get a tape measure across from the other side of the boat and measure over and see what distance you have left to fit a guard. I reckon you will have loads, besides most locks are well over 7 feet wide. Also you regularily see those poxy pipe fenders dangling either side ( The ones that rip off and go into my prop ) :( eejuts!!

• Greenie 1
  • Angry 1

On 07/05/2020 at 21:36, Crow said:

I love that flue!