East West Marine Narrowboats

Smoggy

Featured Posts

We’re seen a couple of East West Marine built narrowboats ( Nogin the nog & Princess Jenny) that we are quite interested in.

However it’s the East West Marine build that we have some concerns on ? 
Constructive views would be much appreciated :0)

They have a bad press (and IMHO don't look great) - remember how you are feeling now when you offer as you will want to sell one day and it will be older..............and still an unpopular Build

I'm not commenting on quality as I don't know anything about that good or bad - a good thorough survey is a must.

1 minute ago, Halsey said:

They have a bad press (and IMHO don't look great) - remember how you are feeling now when you offer as you will want to sell one day and it will be older..............and still an unpopular Build

I'm not commenting on quality as I don't know anything about that good or bad - a good thorough survey is a must.

Mmmm very true 

They have been discussed before in these pages. They are built in China, and I remember reports that the interior woodwork, being bamboo, could deteriorate quickly.

Not very helpful - but-

There was an article in Waterways World some years ago and IIRC Peter Nichols imported one  which was exhibited at the London boat show which I saw.

Not very helpful, but that might stir someone's mind...

Their steep cabin sides with very little tumblehome can be a bit tight on narrow canals, (tunnels bridges) they are well layed out, I nearly bought one several years ago but the seller kept on faffing around.

I owned one for three years and never had issue with it. It was our first boat and we were very happy with the fit out. The paint was not the best, that was the one thing that seems to let them down although most have probably had some paint work done on them by  now. Never had an issue with the internal wood work, the bamboo was bullet proof and very hard wearing.

Importantly, they still achieve near to their original price upon resale so all the naysayers out there were wrong with their initial negative comments on value and expected future value.

• Greenie 1

I've been on one of these boats. The lack of cabin tumblehome did put me of from an aesthetic point of view but I found the internal cabin space quite impressive. 

It's only a very small difference from a normal narrow boat but it was very noticeable. 

Clever bit of design. I would never own one myself and I don't know about the bridge hole situation it does look dodgy but very impressed by the interior space. 

10 hours ago, CV32 said:

Importantly, they still achieve near to their original price upon resale so all the naysayers out there were wrong with their initial negative comments on value and expected future value.

IF that's even true then IMHO that's another reason for keeping away as other boats depreciate as they get older so will be a better buy?

The lack of tumblehome is similar to a problem we had with a "hybrid" a few years back as we had an Arcrite Suncruiser (river based at the time) with a square back end and square (taff?) rail and when we moved back on to the canals it was a nightmare in tunnels and was the only reason we sold it - too stressful

Edited by Halsey

4 hours ago, Halsey said:

IF that's even true then IMHO that's another reason for keeping away as other boats depreciate as they get older so will be a better buy?

In 2009 we paid 46,000 for a new East West from Whilton, they still achieve 42,000 to 46,000 

• 2 weeks later...