Water in engine block.

Featured Posts

There has been water in the engine block of my boat. About 3 inches. The water is black with oil, I'm certain it's not diesel. Its not got any worse and I'm trying to empty it today to get a good look. Already lifted out a full mop bucket full. Really just asking.. Any ideas.. 

IMG_20200506_143610.jpg

Lister air cooled engine? So its not water from a cooling system. [ Its in the engine BILGE not the block by the way ]

There will be a very thin layer of oil on top of the water.

Unless you can find a leak on a heating pipe in that area, it has either come from rain water entering the deck or from a hole in the bottom of the boat, hopefully not.

Drain it out and see if it reappears. Please don't tip it overboard, it will leave an oil slick.

Thank you! Bilge is exactly the word I was struggling to find ??. New to boats and there engine.. Compartments? So I'm hoping it's not a hole in the boat as its certainly not got worse over time (hurt my back a couple of months ago and only just managed to get in to clear it out). It seemed to appear after the bad storms whilst on the winter mooring. If it was a hole would it keep getting higher? Engines been running fine without issues? 

Also, yep defgo was not going to empty it in canal. Do you think it would be OK to soak it in the ground the other side of the tow path, run out of buckets ?

7 minutes ago, Soozie said:

Thank you! Bilge is exactly the word I was struggling to find ??. New to boats and there engine.. Compartments? So I'm hoping it's not a hole in the boat as its certainly not got worse over time (hurt my back a couple of months ago and only just managed to get in to clear it out). It seemed to appear after the bad storms whilst on the winter mooring. If it was a hole would it keep getting higher? Engines been running fine without issues? 

Also, yep defgo was not going to empty it in canal. Do you think it would be OK to soak it in the ground the other side of the tow path, run out of buckets ?

Probably rain water if you have cruiser rear deck. I'd skim the oil off the top and put it in a can to dump at a tip. The water you could bury.

Just now, bizzard said:

Probably rain water if you have cruiser rear deck. I'd skim the oil off the top and put it in a can to dump at a tip. The water you could bury.

Thank you. Next green newbie question, what's a cruiser rear deck? 

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

No worries I googled it, yes that's what I have. ?. I have learned things today. That's enough lock down learning thanks for the help folks. 

Longer open deck where you stand, not a tiny traditional deck, google is your friend!

Dump the "water"  in a field well away from the tow path, any thin oil will biodegrade eventually providing there is not masses.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

5 minutes ago, Soozie said:

No worries I googled it, yes that's what I have. ?. I have learned things today. That's enough lock down learning thanks for the help folks. 

Think yourself lucky - there may be rainwater ingress but at least you can get at it without the help of a double-jointed four-year-old.

Edited by Machpoint005

If you leave the boat long enough and it rains a lot, that is how many boats sink. The engine end fills with water until it is so low in the water that there is a hull opening under water that lets a lot more in quickly and down she goes.

9 minutes ago, Soozie said:

Get your self a wet vac, about 40 squids from wickes. Does the job pdq to get 99 percent out. Obs have to have leccy supply to do it.

• Greenie 1

As the oil will float, a bilge on the sole plate will move relatively clean water, leaving only a thin layer of heavy contamination which you can vac or mop out. Most cheap vacs only take 10 -20 lts at a time. You ideally need to pump into a container for disposal, although the lower water will look very clean.

6 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

As the oil will float, a bilge pump on the sole plate will move relatively clean water, leaving only a thin layer of heavy contamination which you can vac or mop out.

Slight edit to help the OP. 

Your water may also come in from the stern gland - the point where your propeller shaft exits the hull - if it is worn. Usually this consists of a flat metal plate  with a set of bolts that can be used to tighten up any slack. I had to tighten ours yesterday to sort out a slow but persistent drip. I've attached a picture of ours and the greaser tap that lubricates it - putting in a couple of turns of grease may help if this is your issue. In your picture it will be attached to the end of the black tube exiting the top of your stern gland. Our engine is also an air-cooled Lister and your layout is very similar.

DSCF0837.JPG

DSCF0838.JPG