Toilet Cassette

canalrunna

Featured Posts

I want to get a spare toilet cassette. The model I have is a Thetford Cassette C200 without wheels, but all the new C200 cassettes I have seen advertised  have wheels. Can anyone tell me if the new   cassettes will fit.   Thanks.   

Cassette toilet.JPG

Cassette toilet with wheels .JPG

Yes they fit. We have both types. 

Unless you are fairly short, you have to stoop as you walk to use the handle. 

Usually cheaper to buy a Refresh kit and they also include a spare seat and cleaning fluids. 

I just bought a year's supply of pink and blue [Thetford], which indicates it keeps the porta potti in good condition, as well as breaking down solids.

Is this correct?

I have an Excellence, and I like it because it is higher, and throne shaped. 

I use a trolley [Robert Dyas], which is very useful, it also tows behind my bike.

Edited by LadyG

17 hours ago, canalrunna said:

I want to get a spare toilet cassette. The model I have is a Thetford Cassette C200 without wheels, but all the new C200 cassettes I have seen advertised  have wheels. Can anyone tell me if the new   cassettes will fit.   Thanks.   

Cassette toilet.JPG

Cassette toilet with wheels .JPG

The ones with wheels are NOTHING like as heavy/strong, reduced capacity and IMHO not the same "animal" at all - the handle/wheels almost need a smooth tarmac towpath to function well  - much better to buy the old type - they take some finding but it can be done and there are also companies who recondition them

Edited by Halsey

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

The ones with wheels are NOTHING like as heavy/strong, reduced capacity and IMHO not the same "animal" at all - the handle/wheels almost need a smooth tarmac towpath to function well  - much better to buy the old type - they take some finding but it can be done and there are also companies who recondition them

Where? 

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

You can of course still carry them the old fashioned way,but then take advantage of a smooth surface where it exists.

12 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Where? 

About a 18 mths ago I successfully found 4 over the winter - eBay, chandlers (in their scratched/returns "out the back dump") someone/a company in the Stoke area motorhome related..........

My old 365 is still going pong after 21 years. The flush pump packed up 19 years ago, I fixed it but it packed in again about 2 months later. I don't bother with that anymore. When its cold I pour water from my hot water bottle to flush it after the morning ''sit on''.  I keep a little jug of water alongside to flush it during the summer.  Never used BLUE it destroys them.

8 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

You can of course still carry them the old fashioned way,but then take advantage of a smooth surface where it exists.

You can carry them but unfortunately they also redesigned the handle so it has sharp edges which becomes painful after a while. An abomination of an improvement

55 minutes ago, WhiteSuit said:

You can carry them but unfortunately they also redesigned the handle so it has sharp edges which becomes painful after a while. An abomination of an improvement

Just asked somebody who has one.

They don't think the handle is sharp edged at all. I wonder if they have improved them?

21 hours ago, Halsey said:

About a 18 mths ago I successfully found 4 over the winter - eBay, chandlers (in their scratched/returns "out the back dump") someone/a company in the Stoke area motorhome related..........

I asked as, three years back when we wanted to extend the capacity provided by our new boat - which only had the one cassette that came with the toilet itself when installed (that is the only non-wheeled ones that the manufacturer sold at the time) I could not track any down. Time has passed (aka age) and there are times now when I opt for using the wheels! However, the problem I find is that it is prone to tipping from the inclined position (with the handle parallel to the cassette as far as it will go) into the upright position where the end then drags along the ground. I am always fearful of this rubbing right through and leaking all the contents! Not to mention the cost of replacement. The handle is short and is not good for one's back . . . (Sad lesson - nothing in life is perfect, just satisfactory!)

• Greenie 1

Maybe we should all lobby Thetford to remake the original type. They must be cheaper to manufacture. 

I had a look at their website recently and I think they’ve stopped making the C-200 toilet base unit. 

What about a caravan scrapyard. I got my spare cassette from one, a good bleaching, new seal (tried a pattern one, too tight, got an original) and dump till your hearts content. 

On 06/05/2020 at 13:38, bizzard said:

My old 365 is still going pong after 21 years. The flush pump packed up 19 years ago, I fixed it but it packed in again about 2 months later. I don't bother with that anymore. When its cold I pour water from my hot water bottle to flush it after the morning ''sit on''.  I keep a little jug of water alongside to flush it during the summer.  Never used BLUE it destroys them.

We have a 365, using it on a regular basis now as you can’t easily get a pump out for love nor money. It’s okay. Invested in a replacement bellows a year or so ago. Replaced all the seals about eight years ago. 

5 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

We have a 365, using it on a regular basis now as you can’t easily get a pump out for love nor money. It’s okay. Invested in a replacement bellows a year or so ago. Replaced all the seals about eight years ago. 

I lubricate the seal and slider regularly with silicone spray, keeps them in good nick, still original.

• Greenie 2

• 5 months later...

I decided to empty my Thetford Excellence just as I was leaving the facilitie, in fact while waiting for lock to fill, so in a rush, guess what happened next?

There is a tiny black hole on the upper surface ........... 

Nothing is going to spoil my day of departure, however, so a spare toilet roll and some sanitiser was brought in to action.

There is no spares kit for this otherwise superloo, so I think silicon spray is required.

By the way, did the person who designed elsan installs decide to make them so the water tap is inaccessible to the cassette?

I have to carry a large jug if I want to give the thing a good swill......  

User report on Thetford Excellence:

After eighteen months of regular use with standard toilet tissue, thetford blue and pink, nothing has fallen off except the toilet roll holder, which is a triviality.

Occasional leakage en route to elsan, see above.

Lid is soft plastic which scratches easily.

Large capacity, so quite heavy.

Large capacity, so can last one person a week, or more if one makes use of alternative facilities.

No user servicing kit, so I anticipate it will end in landfill or be recycled.

Edited by LadyG

On 07/05/2020 at 12:08, MHS said:

Maybe we should all lobby Thetford to remake the original type. They must be cheaper to manufacture. 

I had a look at their website recently and I think they’ve stopped making the C-200 toilet base unit. 

I assume the wheels are because of a regulation over maximum weights.  The same seems to be true of generators - larger gennies all have wheels which add to weight when you have to get them up steps or over bumpy ground.

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

I assume the wheels are because of a regulation over maximum weights.  The same seems to be true of generators - larger gennies all have wheels which add to weight when you have to get them up steps or over bumpy ground.

I'm not sure I agree with you - I'd suggest that the 'Health & Safety at Work' act is just that.

What you do in your personal life cannot be legislated for - that is why it is not illegal to commit suicide, change light bulbs standing on a chair, or carry heavy toilet cassettes.

I'd suggest that it is probably more to do with customer suggestions based on the ever ageing boating and caravanning population and their 'lifting and carrying' ability.

I emailed Thetford to complain about the wheeled variety. Had a very  prompt response thanking me for my feedback,  explaining that the capacity had only been reduced by half a litre, they were designed due to public request and the designer had not been fired. 

My second email asking them to exchange my cr3p wheeled one for the original procured a response that they had none left in any condition.

I know I only bought the wheeled one because I could no longer find an original. 

10 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

If you are correct, it should also be usable by people of all heights. I’m 6’ tall and have to bend down to wheel our wheeled cassette. I’d much rather just carry it, or put it on our folding trolley if there’s a bigger distance to cover. 

it’s only 20kg or so full. Maybe every 20kg bag of smokeless should come with fitted wheels!!