Water Tank Options

Featured Posts

Having stripped out the old weakened wooden bow doors that some thieves had managed to get through  nicking a generator old fixie bike and dog food!!! And a bench covering the old 400ish litre plastic baffled water tank which protruded  800mm into the cabin and into the bow. 

The layout we have chosen is similar to below with a bed off to the side and side door leading out to the bow area  

Option one is to have a custom steel bow tank fabricated at a quoted approx cost of around £700 giving about 500litres

Option two is the cheaper option to use the existing baffled 400liter tank positioned under the side bed  which even if we replaced for fresh new tank would cost £170 

Obviously the main concern would be balancing the boat any ideas suggestions or don't do its are welcome 

Screenshot_20200409-131549_Pinterest.jpg

20200502_120516.jpg

20200502_120516.jpg

I have never had much success with bag tanks. They seem to crack where they crease when empty and are very vulnerable to puncture or wearing through on the smallest protuberances.  You would also need a bulkhead to retain one.

I have had stainless tanks made for less than you quote, a mild steel tank would be heavier but properly painted inside would last quite well.

Welded plastic tanks are less common but do the job, some say that they taint the water, I don't know.

You could have a bulkhead and deck floor welded in and have an integral tank, again properly painted will last the boat out. The advantage with an integral bow tank is that you get the maximum capacity without any side to side ballasting problem.

Another  advantage would be that you would then have a self draining  front deck.

6 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have never had much success with bag tanks. They seem to crack where they crease when empty and are very vulnerable to puncture or wearing through on the smallest protuberances.  You would also need a bulkhead to retain one.

I have had stainless tanks made for less than you quote, a mild steel tank would be heavier but properly painted inside would last quite well.

Welded plastic tanks are less common but do the job, some say that they taint the water, I don't know.

You could have a bulkhead and deck floor welded in and have an integral tank, again properly painted will last the boat out. The advantage with an integral bow tank is that you get the maximum capacity without any side to side ballasting problem.

Another  advantage would be that you would then have a self draining  front deck.

Any options as to tank builders you'd reccomend ????

I've stopped recommending firms, unless I am still dealing with them, been let down too many times.

A local sheet metal workers who can work in stainless should be able to produce a simple tank. Working out the size and shape is not simple.