CCing and working as a live-in carer two weeks on two weeks off...

Jacsprat

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Just get settled in with everything and it’s all about making life easier not harder and stressful, If it means living in a Marina just do it and just be happy. Good Luck

Very wise - but I still want to know if it'll be possible in the future - once I get my head around the basics of course. 

47 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think I would take a mooring for 3 months in a marina and then do a week out and week back on my time off. Its only 3 trips per quarter. in some places you could cover lots of places. Say Wigrams Turn, a trip to Oxford, a trip to Foxton, Trip to Coventry. Thats 3 month and you have not been to the same place twice.

Gosh - that's a great idea! Thank you - I'll look into it further. So wonderful to talk to folks like you who know the network so well!

4 hours ago, Halsey said:

And that's all that matters as your first boat probably won't satisfy you for more than 2 years if you are lucky

We came to canal boating quite late (in our very early 50's) due to jobs and children etc etc. We noted that people start with a little boat and keep upgrading, so we thought we would decide what would be our final boat and get that first and so save lots of hassle. It has sort of worked. The boat is not quite right but not wrong enough to justify changing it. ?.  

13 years now, 11 as full time liveaboard CCing.

................Dave

• Greenie 1

I don't blame you for covering all bases and researching all possibilities, however after posting how similar we were in your other thread we are complete opposites in this one!

I had a marina lined up but due to the circumstances it's closed to new entries at the moment (I knew this before setting off). I work nights and I've left it moored close to two other boats at a visitor mooring and I have very few concerns with the other owners promising to keep an eye on it (I know in reality they'll probably be asleep when someone is forcing the door). I'm now considering cc'ing until I find myself to far from work when I'll head back and take up the mooring, presuming it's still available!

I couldn't believe the amount of boats which were pretty obviously moored up and vacant for the foreseeable future. I'll be back to mine each day so hope if anyone is scoping mine out they will find it hard to figure out my erratic shift pattern!

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, manicpb said:

I don't blame you for covering all bases and researching all possibilities, however after posting how similar we were in your other thread we are complete opposites in this one!

I had a marina lined up but due to the circumstances it's closed to new entries at the moment (I knew this before setting off). I work nights and I've left it moored close to two other boats at a visitor mooring and I have very few concerns with the other owners promising to keep an eye on it (I know in reality they'll probably be asleep when someone is forcing the door). I'm now considering cc'ing until I find myself to far from work when I'll head back and take up the mooring, presuming it's still available!

I couldn't believe the amount of boats which were pretty obviously moored up and vacant for the foreseeable future. I'll be back to mine each day so hope if anyone is scoping mine out they will find it hard to figure out my erratic shift pattern!

It'll be a matter of feeling it out, I think. It's difficult to read, especially as a newcomer - once we get back to 'normal' and all of the rats are released from their cages, it might not feel so safe. Who knows! Just surfin' the vibes, if you know what I mean! I wouldn't mind leaving my boat overnight, but it'll be left for two weeks at a time in my case.

Edited by Jacsprat

Its good to ask questions here and get a variety of advice and opinions, but ultimately you have to get yourself out onto the cut and see what suits you.

Getting a marina base whilst you do your initial exploration and learning is quite a good idea.

There are a huge variety of people and opinions here, the cut is one of the few places where people of all social backgrounds mix and match, and this forum represents only a small subset of whats going on.

A few folk seek a marina berth most nights, others leave their boat unattended on the towpath for years (and expect others to sort it out when it goes wrong).

Leaving a boat unattended on the towpath and then returning to it to live on can be hard work, especially in winter, but it is done.

Contrary to what has been said, leaving a smart boat unattended is possibly better than leaving a wreck unattended, but whatever you do big obvious external padlocks are a bad idea.

...............Dave

• Greenie 1

Castle Marina’s have a few marinas dotted about the system, Cropredy, Crick, Nottingham, Kings Bromley, Ventnor & Wigrams, Napton area and Buckden Cambridge way. They operate a “flexi berth” system where you can leave your boat for short periods at no extra charge.

Worth looking into?

https://www.castlemarinas.co.uk/flexible-berthing-scheme

"Castle Marinas operate a Flexible Berthing Scheme for both our coastal and inland Annual Berth Holders.

If you fancy a change of scenery or are doing a spot of cruising you can visit any sister marina at no extra cost. Annual berth holders are entitled to 20 nights at other marinas in the group providing space is available.

Inland customers can choose from Crick, Cropredy, Wigrams Turn, Ventnor, Kings Bromley, Nottingham or Buckden Marinas, whilst coastal customers have the choice of Royal Clarence or Birdham Pool depending on their home berth."

Terms and Conditions apply.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

Castle Marina’s have a few marinas dotted about the system, Cropredy, Crick, Nottingham, Kings Bromley, Ventnor & Wigrams, Napton area and Buckden Cambridge way. They operate a “flexi berth” system where you can leave your boat for short periods at no extra charge.

Worth looking into?

Brilliant! I'll definitely check into this! There's no way I want to leave the boat on a towpath somewhere, so happy to pay a premium to have flexibility to securely moor in various marinas. 

1 hour ago, Jacsprat said:

There's no way I want to leave the boat on a towpath somewhere, 

There's plenty of boats whose full time paid for mooring is on the towpath, more who have an un-barriered offside 'farmer's field' mooring. In both cases boats are often left unvisited for weeks or months at a time, and come to no harm.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, David Mack said:

There's plenty of boats whose full time paid for mooring is on the towpath, more who have an un-barriered offside 'farmer's field' mooring. In both cases boats are often left unvisited for weeks or months at a time, and come to no harm.

Very good to know. It will take a while to feel confident and canal-savvy as a newbie. I see this as a long-term project! Just feeling lucky to have this type of work - best of all worlds -  cruise regularly and still earning doing something worthwhile and rewarding. I really do envy people who make a decent living working directly from their boat, but it'll also be good to have a life off of it as well. Bonus is a residential address! 

Edited by Jacsprat

17 hours ago, Jacsprat said:

Hello all! 

Need to pick some brains again! Having bought Kizzie as a liveaboard last week, I've just now been offered the above position. The dream would be to cruise the other two weeks of the month (once lock down is lifted), and avoid having a home mooring in a marina. Not necessarily to save money, but for the joy of using my boat as God intended! Travel!! My question is, would it be reasonably easy to find temporary safe, mooring along the way for the two weeks when I'm off my boat and working? I realise it would involve a little forward planning, and it would obviously cost, but does anyone else have experience of doing this? 

Thank you in advance - I can't tell you how anxious I am to get aboard Kizzie and start boat life...two more weeks to go!

Jacquie

I was a little vague here - I really mean temp marina moorings and other 'secure' moorings I find along the way.

Just now, Jacsprat said:

I was a little vague here - I really mean temp marina moorings and other 'secure' moorings I find along the way.

in short. There are plenty. Ive never had a problem.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Got that mrsmelly - just clarifying for the nice people still sending me PMs.