Crossing Manchester Ship (River Mersey) on a 38ft NB good idea?

Batainte

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Contemplating about crossing with 38ft Narrowboat from Liverpool& Leeds canal via Manchester Ship (River Mersey) into Weaver Canal and enter through Marsh Lock.

Given the fact that this is a river with tidal changes and potentially strong currents, would this be a good idea or sounds more like an overly ambition adventure?

Has anyone done this, if so any comments suggestions or criticism is very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Screen shot 2020-05-03 at 21.04.06.png

I don't think the course on your map is correct so more research needed. I suspect you plan the shorter Mersey crossing from Liverpool to (just before) Ellesmere Port, then up the ship canal to Marsh lock.  You will need a pilot to get you across the Mersey, and do find one who knows about narrowboats, a pilot with extensive experience of the Mersey but only in bigger boats might get you into some trouble.

.....................Dave

• Greenie 1

You go from Liverpool to Eastham where you enter the Manchester Ship Canal, which you then follow up to the Weaver. There's a few videos on YouTube including this one:

You will need to meet the Manchester Ship Canal requirements for pleasure craft. You will also need the approval of your insurers, who may require an extra premium.

• Greenie 1

On 03/05/2020 at 21:07, Batainte said:

Hi all,

Contemplating about crossing with 38ft Narrowboat from Liverpool& Leeds canal via Manchester Ship (River Mersey) into Weaver Canal and enter through Marsh Lock.

Given the fact that this is a river with tidal changes and potentially strong currents, would this be a good idea or sounds more like an overly ambition adventure?

Has anyone done this, if so any comments suggestions or criticism is very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Screen shot 2020-05-03 at 21.04.06.png

Some info here:

https://www.peelports.com/media/1676/min3-safety-guidance-for-small-boats-april-2010.pdf

https://www.peelports.com/media/4983/mpf3-pleasure-craft-induction-pack-2020.pdf

While it would be a fun trip to do, are you planning on doing it to save time or because you really want to cross the Mersey?

I reckon Liverpool to Northwich is a three or four day delivery trip depending on how many hours you want to put in.

If you can't spare the time, a professional boatmover for 3 days would likely be cheaper than the MSC survey, the MSC transit fee and a Mersey pilot.

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

While it would be a fun trip to do, are you planning on doing it to save time or because you really want to cross the Mersey?

I reckon Liverpool to Northwich is a three or four day delivery trip depending on how many hours you want to put in.

If you can't spare the time, a professional boatmover for 3 days would likely be cheaper than the MSC survey, the MSC transit fee and a Mersey pilot.

but 7 or 8 for mere mortals ?

• Happy 1

Just now, dmr said:

but 7 or 8 for mere mortals

Yeah, I did specify as a delivery trip - just go go go for 15 hours a day for 3 days, or less hours for more days.

As I have been known to overwinter Burscough / Tarleton / Parbold way,  I reckon you could easily spend 7 or 8 months - or even years! - on that  journey, but it's not much use having the boat at Leigh if you want it to be in Northwich!

If the plan is just to use the Weaver as a shortcut up the lift and onto the T&M, I think I'd rather spend the cash on beer and diesel and go via the Bridgewater.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yeah, I did specify as a delivery trip - just go go go for 15 hours a day for 3 days, or less hours for more days.

As I have been known to overwinter Burscough / Tarleton / Parbold way,  I reckon you could easily spend 7 or 8 months - or even years! - on that  journey, but it's not much use having the boat at Leigh if you want it to be in Northwich!

If the plan is just to use the Weaver as a shortcut up the lift and onto the T&M, I think I'd rather spend the cash on beer and diesel and go via the Bridgewater.

From just outside Wigan to the very outskirts of Liverpool is a wonderful and much under-rated section of canal, we half thought about spending a winter in that bit but the stoppage at Appley Deep Lock was too limiting. Instead we spent the winter half in Chester and half on the Weaver, including a ship canal transit between the two.

.............Dave

• Happy 1

• 1 month later...

We have done it from Liverpool to the Chester Branch of the Shrophire Union in EmilyAnne, but went as part of a convoy arranged by the Chester IWA a few years ago by a guy name Mike Carter (who I understand is sadly no longer with us).  I have also done a trip from Ellesmere Port up to the Weaver with a small group including Duker Parfield and her owner (the other) Mike Carter of marinesurveysltd and Liam of this forum.

Certainly well recommended if you can get it sorted and get the paperwork etc.

Daniel