What type of filler/ caulk to use for wall lining?

Featured Posts

Been on a renovation project for quite a while and wall linings are going up, but ofcourse since the boat's steelwork expands and contracts due to outside weather its near impossible to use a regular "Screwfix" product which is mean for onshore homes. For this reason would anyone have a pointer toward a quality type/ brand of deocrators caulk to be used for sealing in between the lining panels? Preferably something flexible enough to remain in place between the linings (if such a thing exists at all).

Uploaded the photos below to show how  the panels have moved apart even though when screwed them in place they were sitting flush against each other + its visible where the filler has been applied prior to expansion.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

59FFD3F2-EE06-4D60-B5CB-C53600EDC2BF.jpeg

1680AF24-5085-489B-9064-85C3FCE5EBF2.jpeg

Edited by Batainte

Personally I would use a thin wood cover strip so the expansion takes place without being seen but no idea how to do tat on the herringbone section apart from using tongue and groove. If you could make the herring bone section one large single piece by gluing and the leave an expansion gap at the ends it may work.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Personally I would use a thin wood cover strip so the expansion takes place without being seen but no idea how to do tat on the herringbone section apart from using tongue and groove. If you could make the herring bone section one large single piece by gluing and the leave an expansion gap at the ends it may work.

Agreed.  No Caulk will be flexible enough for that kind of movement. Cover strips are the way to go. Silicone might be sufficiently elastic, but do you really want that anywhere near unfinished wood?

You might find this review interesting:

I would be surprised if its the steel that's moving that much, more likely to be the wood drying out, probably best to rake it out and do it again in the middle of the summer, if you still get gaps then tell people they're deliberate to allow for expansion. Anyway compared to my joinery they look pretty good!

My previous boat was lined with eucalyptus wood, which, although a hard wood still opened up gaps in the summer.  Any kind of caulking would have made  unsightly joints so I used beeswax.  It needed redoing each year, but  it solved the problem.

• Greenie 1

As TB says, for normal butted joints capping with a suitable moulding is the way to go. For the T & G I don't think I've ever seen the gaps filled, they are seen as a feature of the style. However, if you really want to fill them I would suggest you look on offshore sites for caulking used on teak decks etc. An expensive and lengthy route to follow. 

39 minutes ago, Slim said:

For the T & G I don't think I've ever seen the gaps filled, they are seen as a feature of the style.

I had T&G Canadian pine under the gunwales.  They were not fixed, so in the summer when gaps appeared I just shoved them along a bit.  Effective and simple.

398461522_P1230146(1).JPG.f4ae9ba123a1bcf3e348b49097362c51.JPG

• Greenie 2

Thanks everyone for your suggestions/ tips and tricks.

This was very helpful (especially the string theory @bizzard nice and creative solution, makes quite a lot of sense).

Will inspect these options further.

Cheerio

Edited by Batainte

You will never stop wood expanding and shrinking with changes in moisture, fit a cover piece joined on one side is the best answer. Remember to fit the wood moistish and then let it dry out, if you fit it tight, when dry, in summer in the winter it will buckle as the wood expands, you need to allow it to move.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...