Confused about licensing!!!

Featured Posts

Good morning all,

I am after a little advice (I have tried the search facility and none seem to answer my question). We have retired and pretty much full time in our motor home and use my parents address for bills etc. We are considering a NB (so please stand by for many numpty questions) and would like to use it continuously throughout the network for about 9 months a year and then moor up for winter and take off to sunnier climes and returning back to the UK to restart the cycle. So I take it we would not be classed as CCers, so therefore what would we be? Apart from the cost of the winter mooring are there any other charges we would be liable for? i.e council tax etc.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Richie and Kat

You will be required by Navigation Authorities to pay for:

A Licence.  Who from depends on where you cruise, but for maximum choice CRT sell a gold licence which covers their waterways and the Environment Agency's waters.  It does not cover the River Avon or the Middle Level AFAIK.

Insurance against 3rd party liabilities  as a minimum.

A Safety Examination every 4 years.

If you do not have a permanent mooring which is available to you at all times CRT will treat you as a Continuous Cruiser.  The licence is an ordinary canals and rivers licence and the  cost is the same as if you have a permanent mooring.

You will also have costs for fuels, maintenance and  moorings when you take them up, but not Council Tax or rates.

N

Technically there in no such thing from a licensing point of view as a CC’er, its just a term that people use.  You would be a boat with no home mooring for the 9 months that you are out cruising.  When you take a winter mooring in a marina for 3 months in the winter you can update your mooring location on the CRT licensing site if you want to, then you would be a boat with a home mooring for that time.  If the boat is just unattended in the marina for that time, it really does not seems to me to make much difference if you change the status or not, but it is what I have done.  There would be no council tax for the situation you describe.

Nothing confusing about licencing here. It is common for CCers to take a winter mooring and we have had other posters on the forum who boat in the summer but spend the colder months abroad. You just need a winter mooring where someone will keep an eye on your boat and can deal with any problems which may arise. While you are CCing you can leave the boat moored on the towpath for up to a fortnight at any one location (unless signed otherwise) so you can boat as much or as little as that allows and whatever suits you. And your costs are much the same as anyone else's. There's a few threads on here about typical boating costs.

Edited by David Mack

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for your informative responses. We are in the process of gathering as much information regarding purchasing,owning and the running of a NB.  We currently motorhome most of the year and so keep to a budget and track our expenditure; this includes things like maintenance, repairs, insurance, overnight stays and general living costs so, based on the information gleaned from this forum and other sources, we believe the costs to be comparative to our current spend. 

Look forward to asking further questions/advice as our journey to owning a NB continues.

Richie and Kat. 

15 hours ago, Richie and Kat TP said:

we believe the costs to be comparative to our current spend

You may well find that maintenance costs are higher with a boat. A motor home doesn't need putting on ramps to have the chassis blacked every couple of years for instance.

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

You may well find that maintenance costs are higher with a boat. A motor home doesn't need putting on ramps to have the chassis blacked every couple of years for instance.

Or a repaint every 5-15 years. Professional repaints cost from £100 per foot of boat length upwards, plus signwriting or vinyl lettering.