TeamBiscuits - NB Good Times - Virtuous BCNS 42hr Snickers Challenge Crew Slog

Featured Posts

Just now, rusty69 said:

Make it 4 and a curly wurly, and you have a deal. 

I can live with that - done. 

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

I'm enjoying the exchange but this is my challenge entry thread.

Much apologies. 

Day whatever challenge:  Raise the roof!

Our stuff on the roof

bladeful_all.jpg

If you think that looks like blatant reuse of our bladeful of prop clearance photo, it is!  Due to the challenges we have faced on the challenge so far we have been unable to offload the rubbish into a skip,  but we certainly were not going to just leave it all on the towpath!

If any of you think this is just me being lazy, we do have form for this:

IMG_20190526_135813.jpg.c1134ea2f292f409b922b10080f68870.jpg

The "Trolley Award" winning roof-full collected during the 2019 challenge.

20190526_050922.jpg.93d8344ec5c48f7e61116494d014fd9f.jpg

... and some of it on the boat roof, 5am Sunday.  If I had been more awake, I would have taken two steps back and got the rest of it in shot!  

Please note that the pallet and the solar panel are allowing the correct ventilation through the mushroom vents. 

The sad plastic bunting in the last pic may (or may not!) be in one of the binbags in the first picture ...

Day 5, the last overnight stop.

More adventures upon the wild Bradley Arm today, starting off at the crack of noon we headed off North to re-explore some of the sights we had seen yesterday.  While passing Pothouse Bridge, a young entrepreneur offered to sell us some of his fine herbs. 

As the dry stores are starting to get low, we took him up on his kind offer and he handed us not rosemary but a bag of what looked a bit like oregano.  When MrsBiscuit checked this with him he assured her it was the best pot 'erb we were likely to find in the area.

We carried on our way, and decided to stop for a spot of lunch at Highfields Colliery.  The new seasoning went very well in the pasta sauce, although we all had to go back for seconds as we were strangely hungry.  Feeling a little tired now we turned around  three times and headed home, until we saw the chap from earlier having some trouble at Glasshouse Bridge. 

Stopping to make sure he was OK, we noticed he was trying to lift one of the flagstones into a plantpot.  Tragically while I was trying to help him lift this, it slipped, injuring his foot quite badly. 

The moral of this tale is that "People who lift in Glasshouses shouldn't go stoned."

Surprisingly, we have ended up at Loxdale Sidings tonight.

https://canalplan.org.uk/cgi-bin/canal.cgi?quickroute=yes&where=Junction with Bradley Old Loop (closed),Pothouse Bridge,Highfields Colliery Coal Wharf,Glasshouse Bridge,Junction with Bradley Old Loop (closed)

This is a trip of 1.59 miles from Junction with Bradley Old Loop (closed) to Junction with Bradley Old Loop (closed).

This will take 38 minutes. (at 2.5 mph)

day_5.jpg.8d65ec639445a481585e5803e62b6f33.jpg

1.59 miles, 0 locks, 0 points.

Looking forward to the big finish tomorrow evening, and if we get there before you we'll get the beer in.

Edited by TheBiscuits
Add a bit
  • Haha 3

Right, big day today.  I think we are going to need a right good meal later, so only a light breakfast.  

There is only one thing I can possibly put on the toast:

e49f84313f50bf5541da19ec16077d07--west-m

There are going to be a lot of people around later on, so I decided it might be best to get rid of the rest of yesterday's "oregano" we bought.  I sprinkle it in the cut, thinking it won't cause much harm, but I am shocked at how much the dried leaves expand as they hit the water.

It starts drifting away in the direction of Deepfields Junction, still expanding as it floats round the corner and out of sight.  I'm glad it didn't stay next to my boat, but I don't think anyone else will notice it.

It's time for the last critical push to get to the finish line on time, otherwise all this effort will have been wasted.  An enquiry from Judy Shawl - Stewart's wife - has raised the point that if we continue to stay at this junction this evening we won't have finished so won't be scored. 

Last night's cunning trick of using a different name for the same mooring isn't enough, we have to finish at the finish - although special permission has been granted to Team Peking Duck to start at the start this evening so they are in the right place for their round.

As there seems to be a lot of outstanding paperwork to do, we decide to get the mooring in the basin right next to the beer tent.  As promised, the first round is on me, but there doesn't seem to be anyone else here yet ...

Cheap date these boaters.

https://canalplan.org.uk/cgi-bin/canal.cgi?quickroute=yes&where=Junction with Bradley Old Loop (closed),Bradley Basin

This is a trip of 0.26 miles from Junction with Bradley Old Loop (closed) to Bradley Basin travelling south on the Birmingham Canal Navigations (Wednesbury Oak Loop).

This will take 6 minutes. (at 2.5mph)

day 1 trip.jpg

0.26 miles, 0 locks, 0 points.

Edited by TheBiscuits

31 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's time for the last critical push to get to the finish line on time, otherwise all this effort will have been wasted.  An enquiry from Judy Shawl - Stewart's wife - has raised the point that if we continue to stay at this junction this evening we won't have finished so won't be scored. 

Last night's cunning trick of using a different name for the same mooring isn't enough, we have to finish at the finish - although special permission has been granted to Team Peking Duck to start at the start this evening so they are in the right place for their round.

As there seems to be a lot of outstanding paperwork to do, we decide to get the mooring in the basin right next to the beer tent.  As promised, the first round is on me, but there doesn't seem to be anyone else here yet ...

Cheap date these boaters.

https://canalplan.org.uk/cgi-bin/canal.cgi?quickroute=yes&where=Junction with Bradley Old Loop (closed),Bradley Basin

This is a trip of 0.26 miles from Junction with Bradley Old Loop (closed) to Bradley Basin travelling south on the Birmingham Canal Navigations (Wednesbury Oak Loop).

This will take 6 minutes. (at 2.5mph)

day 1 trip.jpg

0.26 miles, 0 locks, 0 points.

We got here before you!

We were there at 4 minutes past 12. but we are still in 1918 'cause @peterboat still cant figure out how to reset the Laundromat. Can you explain to him how to do it? .....and to reset the Laundromat?

If I get you a beer, it may go off.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

We got here before you!

We were there at 4 minutes past 12. but we are still in 1918 'cause @peterboat still cant figure out how to reset the Laundromat. Can you explain to him how to do it? .....and to reset the Laundromat?

If I get you a beer, it may go off.

When I poured beer over mine it took me hundreds of miles in inappropriate directions, so tell him to be careful.  Just unplug it and throw it in the skip - there's a drink with your name on it waiting on the bar.

large_d3cf62de-8cca-4812-b9fb-cd0c12dd64

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

When I poured beer over mine it took me hundreds of miles in inappropriate directions, so tell him to be careful.  Just unplug it and throw it in the skip - there's a drink with your name on it waiting on the bar.

large_d3cf62de-8cca-4812-b9fb-cd0c12dd64

This one would be better, a nice pint

unnamed.png.ccd4a7ddde3163daebf4a9d5d5c31f35.png

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

This one would be better, a nice pint

Yeah, I like getting that beer and telling little BobBiscuits that it's not for him, even if it does have his name on it.

Safer than Wobbly Bob as well!

c366cb584a07bc1acb0cfddad572c83d--amber-

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

And our food entry for today:

We used the Aunty Wainwright cash conversion tool to prepare some lovely fresh ginger:

IMG_20200508_202022.jpg.a40202e9d85a4614e5757cf21026ec20.jpg

To produce that most Black Country of all possible dishes:

IMG_20200509_143317.jpg.9bcd141d0f393b787f216a3ece6f989b.jpg

Yam Yam Curroy

(I'm pretty sure that's how they spell it round here!)

• Haha 1

Out of interest, did anyone in your team calculate the total miles and locks you covered during the challenge? If you have already mentioned it in the thread somewhere forgive me, I am asking because I am too lazy to go through 14 threads to find if the information has already been shared

14 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Out of interest, did anyone in your team calculate the total miles and locks you covered during the challenge? If you have already mentioned it in the thread somewhere forgive me, I am asking because I am too lazy to go through 14 threads to find if the information has already been shared

Whilst in flight we covered loads of miles and flew over hundreds of locks so would that count? Eleven though we finished where we started in a lock!