TeamBiscuits - NB Good Times - Virtuous BCNS 42hr Snickers Challenge Crew Slog

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You lot have a crew of 38 - @mrsmelly should get some of you out bowhauling by threatening keelhauling.

We thought, 'cause there are only 3 of you on board, we'd come over and see if we help you get a few more points.

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

You lot aren't reading this thread are you?

We have covered a grand total of 322.39 miles and ten locks and dug a new feeder channel since we entered this challenge, despite all the problems we seem to be having.

You lot have a crew of 38 - @mrsmelly should get some of you out bowhauling by threatening keelhauling.

All of it by two car Tuk Tuk! I know I was the driver!!!!!

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

All of it by two car Tuk Tuk! I know I was the driver!!!!!

So there's 4 in The Biscuits team!

Stewart's Enquiry 8 hash (where's the bloody hash sign?)

Not declaring the full team. Riding in Tuk Tuks. Not driving himself. Going on a non essential journey. Not excersing a longer distance than he drove.

Just now, Dr Bob said:

So there's 4 in The Biscuits team!

Stewart's Enquiry 8 hash (where's the bloody hash sign?)

Not declaring the full team. Riding in Tuk Tuks. Not driving himself. Going on a non essential journey. Not excersing a longer distance than he drove.

Never mind that Dr Bob, I see Aunty has her collecting tin out again. Quick hide. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I reckon hes a widebeam owner ont quiet B)

(From German:  Sehnsucht (n.) Definition: A wistful longing and yearning in the heart for travels past and future. Automat: Machine)

This isn't my daily challenge entry, but it's certainly a machine that causes a yearning in the heart for travels past and future.

20180217_222156.jpg.ebb12219ef6b00a867483121f6d60d88.jpg

20180217_222200.jpg.ab8fde5362b98ddd29ec97ff804cc36b.jpg

Photographed on a modern widebeam on the L&L a couple of years ago, that was heading for Liverpool docks and out into the Irish Sea.

This is how grownups do canal boat engine rooms!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

This isn't my daily challenge entry, but it's certainly a machine that causes a yearning in the heart for travels past and future.

I do wish peeps would keep to the story!

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Never mind that Dr Bob, I see Aunty has her collecting tin out again. Quick hide. 

I know, I think she missed me that time. Let me know if you see her coming again.

Getting more peeps to read your log by tagging them ain't goin get you any more points.

They would be far better going over to read far more technical stuff at

where they could learn about @peterboat WC powered rocket powered motor and Rusty's aquaducks. Its a far better thread you know, far more good technical content, very good.

4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

20180217_222156.jpg.ebb12219ef6b00a867483121f6d60d88.jpg

20180217_222200.jpg.ab8fde5362b98ddd29ec97ff804cc36b.jpg

Photographed on a modern widebeam on the L&L a couple of years ago, that was heading for Liverpool docks and out into the Irish Sea.

This is how grownups do canal boat engine rooms!

It will never catch on, my electric motor is the size of a pedal bin and does everything that monster of a thing does! pointless and noisy plus think of all the storage room it clears up so you can store beer and things ?

• Happy 1

Reading back through my logbook, I can't help but notice that the only successful distance travel we did was after offering a libation to Neptune ( and not just accidentally spilling beer on the canalworld-developed Absolut Le Suchs )

With this in mind, I seek out the gods of this place to ask for their blessings on our travels.

Handily enough, there is a temple only a hundred feet or so from the canal here.

four_winds.jpg.e2fcdfe659ca78d22931dc8924e08872.jpg

This "Temple of the Four Winds" was presumably built as an homage to the "Tower of the Winds" in Athens, but on the cheap without a clear brief.

675px-Torre_dels_Vents_d'Atenes.JPG

The Tower of the Winds, Athens (Photo: Wikimedia)

In a local interpretation of the original 12 metre octagonal tower clad in marble, this is a 12 foot hexagonal pile of leftover brick.   The six faces of this fascinating folly feature the title panel shown above, an advert for Brook Homes - the estate developers - and the four main ancient Greek gods of the winds, the Anemoi.

Boreas was the north wind and bringer of cold winter air.  Zephyrus was the west wind and bringer of light spring and early-summer breezes.  Notus was the south wind and bringer of the storms of late summer and autumn.  Eurus was the east wind, so not noted for one of the major Greek seasons.

675px-Tower_of_the_Winds,_Oxford.JPG

Oxford University paid their own homage to the Tower of the Winds with the Radcliffe Observatory  (Photo: Wikimedia)

The builder of this wonderful piece of neo-architecture honoured these gods in his own way by making sure that none of the panels were aligned with the correct cardinal direction for the gods.  It may be pure coincidence that Brook Homes no longer seem to be in business!

Having looked more closely at the panels I could only conclude: "With friezes like that who needs Anemoi?"

Feeling much more positive, I returned to the boat and prepared for todays grand tour ...

Edited by TheBiscuits
Add a bit, fix grammar

Interesting snippet on the breakfast news about a clay embankment collapsing overnight.  Somebody said that a new stream that started running through Dudley Port yesterday might have undercut it, but they are still tracing it back to it's origins.

In honour of the gods of the winds, we decide to travel in each of their cardinal directions today. This takes a bit of planning, as each of the four team members wants to go in a different direction, but we agree to take turns.

I decide to go first, captain's perogative, and head South as I want to do some locks.  After a quarter of a mile or so, we can hear the sound of rushing water getting louder, and the noise makes me want a wee.

BobBiscuits seems keenest to get away from this odd new river, so he turns round at Bradley Basin and heads North as far and as fast as the boat will go.  This turns out to be just over half a mile and 2.5mph, 

MrsBiscuits takes over for the next stretch, heading West and South looking for a place we can stop for the night.

We find an interesting option at the Highfields Road Arm but we decide it's not a covid-safe mooring as the junction doesn't seem to have a name so we press on.

After a while Duck-n-Dive screams "STOP!" and we halt under a railway bridge to see what the trouble is.

Ahead, through the next bridge, we can see Deepfield Junction, and glowing orange letters floating above the water say "Here be points!"  Scared, we turn back around without quite reaching the junction and scuttle away from the ominous sounding score.

It's been quite an adventure today, but we have pushed our luck far enough for one day, so return East and North and East and South back to the place we seem to now call home ...

https://canalplan.org.uk/cgi-bin/canal.cgi?quickroute=yes&where=Junction with Bradley Old Loop (closed), Bradley Basin,Deepfields Railway Bridge (LMS Stour Valley Line),Junction with Bradley Old Loop (closed)

This is a trip of 3.64 miles from Junction with Bradley Old Loop (closed) to Junction with Bradley Old Loop (closed).

This will take 1 hour and 27 minutes. (at 2.5 mph)

298312001_day4.jpg.0d6c7006ddffab076844de033c537550.jpg

3.64 miles, 0 locks, 0 points.  

Edited by TheBiscuits
Oops! Wrong map on original post

33 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Interesting snippet on the breakfast news about a clay embankment collapsing overnight.  Somebody said that a new stream that started running through Dudley Port yesterday might have undercut it, but they are still tracing it back to it's origins.

In honour of the gods of the winds, we decide to travel in each of their cardinal directions today. This takes a bit of planning, as each of the four team members wants to go in a different direction, but we agree to take turns.

I decide to go first, captain's perogative, and head South as I want to do some locks.  After a quarter of a mile or so, we can hear the sound of rushing water getting louder, and the noise makes me want a wee.

BobBiscuits seems keenest to get away from this odd new river, so he turns round at Bradley Basin and heads North as far and as fast as the boat will go.  This turns out to be just over half a mile and 2.5mph, 

MrsBiscuits takes over for the next stretch, heading West and South looking for a place we can stop for the night.

We find an interesting option at the Highfields Road Arm but we decide it's not a covid-safe mooring as the junction doesn't seem to have a name so we press on.

After a while Duck-n-Dive screams "STOP!" and we halt under a railway bridge to see what the trouble is.

Ahead, through the next bridge, we can see Deepfield Junction, and glowing orange letters floating above the water say "Here be points!"  Scared, we turn back around without quite reaching the junction and scuttle away from the ominous sounding score.

It's been quite an adventure today, but we have pushed our luck far enough for one day, so return East and North and East and South back to the place we seem to now call home ...

https://canalplan.org.uk/cgi-bin/canal.cgi?quickroute=yes&where=Junction with Bradley Old Loop (closed), Bradley Basin,Deepfields Railway Bridge (LMS Stour Valley Line),Junction with Bradley Old Loop (closed)

This is a trip of 3.64 miles from Junction with Bradley Old Loop (closed) to Junction with Bradley Old Loop (closed).

This will take 1 hour and 27 minutes. (at 2.5 mph)

1976487614_day4.png.8f62c2e103a0dc37d38a0ffadbc387ee.png

3.64 miles, 0 locks, 0 points.  

Shame the breach wasn't behind you  (as they say in panto) you might then have travelled a bit of a distance you CMer you ?

Edited by peterboat
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

It's a bit quiet on here today. Not moving again?

I'm just waiting to what the score is in today's European Match.  I've got a tenner on the Allies to win, but the Axis might make a strong comeback in the second half. 

I Just hope it doesn't go to penalties, or we could still be here in 75 years ...

• Horror 1

Just been for a short walk to get supplies from Bradley shops ( directions not provided by @RebelMike ) and on the way past noticed the CRT workshop seemed quiet this morning.  The foreman was looking glum and he told me some vandals had dug a river through the carpark a couple of days ago. 

"It's a nightmare," he said, "Only half the staff could get in, so it's taking twice as long to do each lock."

IMG_20190606_093515.jpg.08186aa9c04aa9f02cb1e11f1abb8a4f.jpg

Lockdown in 2019 meant this ...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

The foreman was looking glum and he told me some vandals had dug a river through the carpark a couple of days ago. 

Anyone know how a river is dug? I tried digging a hole in one once, but it kept filling up. 

• Haha 1