Team Rebellion Virtual BCN Challenge 2020 Cruise Log

Featured Posts

Log time: 22:00, Saturday 3rd May 2014

This year Rebellion have opted to take a more historic narrowboat around Birmingham for the BCN challenge.  We’ve arranged to hire nb William for the week - who we hear will win the challenge as part of the Inland Alligators team in 2016.  We’re very much looking forward to a week cruising Birmingham’s canals to the sound of William’s Bolinder engine.

eKQmOS7ud08NckmkboHZLtZI1z6hBoeg9sPSRZCO5-JVg0Ne5gnjOCAoRkGv1_5PVMWAurDPoxbZM9aKwFEkTYRJvGdBnpeKcBkSg8IoDYJzqtZvp-_hfJ7zjKukb5X-alnNY17I

Unfortunately as we’re not taking nb Rebellion this year we won’t be able to live stream our progress as we did last year, however preliminary tests suggest we have been successful in our modification of the Automat Sehnsucht to allow nb William’s location to be tracked using a time travelling GPS signal.  Once the challenge starts, you’ll be able to follow our progress here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=14DTZ6L-V-Dc2k2KlIsBdrtdTW5R36awN&ll=52.48009774194999%2C-1.910045504269192&z=15 (Please note that due to temporal interference and/or us occasionally having to do some w*rk the location signal may sometimes be delayed)

Crewing along with me are @smudgepuss, @HuggableHamster and Amy (not on the forum).  We’ve got William well stocked with supplies for the trip (food, period clothing, 18th century coins and such), and even a few virtual barrels of ale that we’re hoping to share with you all at the finish, providing we don’t have to barter them away for safe passage at any point during our journey.

We’re currently doing some late night cruising to get William into position, as is traditional on the BCN challenge!

Edited by RebelMike
Correct user names for crew
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, RebelMike said:

Log time: 22:00, Saturday 3rd May 2014

This year Rebellion have opted to take a more historic narrowboat around Birmingham for the BCN challenge.  We’ve arranged to hire nb William for the week - who we hear will win the challenge as part of the Inland Alligators team in 2016.  We’re very much looking forward to a week cruising Birmingham’s canals to the sound of William’s Bolinder engine.

eKQmOS7ud08NckmkboHZLtZI1z6hBoeg9sPSRZCO5-JVg0Ne5gnjOCAoRkGv1_5PVMWAurDPoxbZM9aKwFEkTYRJvGdBnpeKcBkSg8IoDYJzqtZvp-_hfJ7zjKukb5X-alnNY17I

That's a 'mean' looking boat, a beaut! 

1 hour ago, harrybsmith said:

The mind does boggle about how, in accordance with last year, you'll conduct your celebratory orgy. No explanation nescessary thanks.

As Rebellion (aka @RebelMike and his enormous purple thing!)  ended up moored between us and @Tom and Bex it's probably best if we move on now ...

Log time: 16:00, Sunday 12th May 2019

We picked up William at Weedon Bec on Thursday evening and it’s been a long trip to get into position for the challenge, with over 12 hours of cruising each day for Friday and yesterday.  The limit of 7 hours per day for the challenge will be a welcome relief!

We reached our start point at Huddlesford Junction at lunch time and headed to 2019 so we could enjoy Sunday lunch at the Plough.  We were surprised to find several other teams huddled around different tables in the pub, so were careful not to discuss details of our plans for the rest of the week while enjoying our food and beer.

Full of tasty pub grub, we’re now back on board William for an afternoon of relaxing and board gaming - we brought Brass with us from Rebellion’s board game stash.

Our GPS is on and transmitting!

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1
  • Happy 2

Log time: 20:45, Sunday 3rd May 2020

In preparation for our trip, we’ve been looking through the history of William.  Here’s a great picture of him when he was brand new: https://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw192.3.2.1.23.17

Coming forward in time, here’s William when he was owned by Alan Jones, who owned the boat for over 50 years.OopFMSbw5fjqOZ6-bTE1teRbosqHyy89HgmdoGk4c4yAV6au90Nzp2jmIGlN9k-wYLPNnIo-4H_P7cD2x8NYTgwC65kLuHdGigR199NZ_mnL-lWqEMhX998QjsGWmtx7BXiiBuYr

Back to the present day -  In recognition of everything the staff of the NHS are doing at the moment, the Inland Navigators painted a rainbow on William’s rudder before we picked him up!

bWvnehY77_Lvkg9Vya_WNlSkCyTskwGZ1TGa0K_n_LdgsuS6dMtW4_xlYoZe8Mgt9eHhcup2eaBnh_lMgdVvA-5BsRm9IBtR8CuLKHFs_qo9neu7922PvvnCAaWifM-gzo9jjdlD

The boating world is small at times - I'm sure it's not that unusual to end up competing against a boat you previously owned.  Apologies for the misspelling of your name!

I assure you we have a hire agreement in place with the current owners.  I believe Douglas Adams had something to say on the nature of ownership and non-linear time, although it may have mostly been about sueing a cereal manufacturer, I don't quite recall.

39 minutes ago, RebelMike said:

Coming forward in time, here’s William when he was owned by Alan Jones, who owned the boat for over 50 years.OopFMSbw5fjqOZ6-bTE1teRbosqHyy89HgmdoGk4c4yAV6au90Nzp2jmIGlN9k-wYLPNnIo-4H_P7cD2x8NYTgwC65kLuHdGigR199NZ_mnL-lWqEMhX998QjsGWmtx7BXiiBuYr

What a boat that is. It’s so big it even seems to come equipped with a lifeboat. 

I love the character of the working boat conversions of the day. Maybe when the ubiquity of the perfectly restored historic carrying 50’ of fresh air wears thin they’ll make a comeback. Somehow, I doubt it.

Edited by Captain Pegg

Those in the know would not call him Alan but Taff. I'm looking forwards to hearing the stories of just how you handle the Bolinder. Also how you go on rigging a "Automat Sehnsucht"  up to an engine which will run in either direction just for the fun of it! Even if it does have a gear box ;)

• Greenie 1

Log time: 08:45, Monday 4th May 2020

We woke to find William covered in snow!

mJnoG6BDuQrrjN018iKhSPinrEpdyWLYyXbGtPrcj1l5Ba8aZSqXlVp2bvt-Ak5UJxX1EfE2FODk6u4Lbs-bOVTFokUMz-R-9iy4eLe2avcj_rAtDqeu4845kiKaJbvJQ59Wc-9W

There was even a duck skating around on the ice in the cut:

vqPS4rAxia46nQ6LCHVaser8yynUs-YiPI9d7QEosJ834_Mme0uvyHPqWj3ddz_tvrklkVe1h7TLSWKbMjVqidy2A8OWl_M1m7k7iB0G-ZzmAmYv2aAh-vsP6suVkd02nRwuPQMh

We’re not quite sure how this can have happened given how warm and sunny it seems this morning - I suspect this Automat Sehnsucht might be causing some unintended weather transfer through time - I’m sure the Doctor could explain it.

We’ve decided to delay the start of our cruise for an hour or so to see if the canals thaw out. With only 7 hours cruising allowed we can afford a slightly late start.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Yes

Haha in  may 1987 we towed her from the boat museum to the pelshall rally on our honeymoon...round the bcn. We nicknamed her concord because she sat down by the head and as you went faster dipped her nose in. No running gear.. good times.

21 minutes ago, RebelMike said:

Log time: 08:45, Monday 4th May 2020

We woke to find William covered in snow!

mJnoG6BDuQrrjN018iKhSPinrEpdyWLYyXbGtPrcj1l5Ba8aZSqXlVp2bvt-Ak5UJxX1EfE2FODk6u4Lbs-bOVTFokUMz-R-9iy4eLe2avcj_rAtDqeu4845kiKaJbvJQ59Wc-9W

There was even a duck skating around on the ice in the cut:

vqPS4rAxia46nQ6LCHVaser8yynUs-YiPI9d7QEosJ834_Mme0uvyHPqWj3ddz_tvrklkVe1h7TLSWKbMjVqidy2A8OWl_M1m7k7iB0G-ZzmAmYv2aAh-vsP6suVkd02nRwuPQMh

We’re not quite sure how this can have happened given how warm and sunny it seems this morning - I suspect this Automat Sehnsucht might be causing some unintended weather transfer through time - I’m sure the Doctor could explain it.

We’ve decided to delay the start of our cruise for an hour or so to see if the canals thaw out. With only 7 hours cruising allowed we can afford a slightly late start.

The Doctor @Dr Bob will tell you it’s just been painted on. And that it’s always too cold for painting snow, which is why it doesn’t stick for very long.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

The Doctor @Dr Bob will tell you it’s just been painted on. And that it’s always too cold for painting snow, which is why it doesn’t stick for very long.

Yea, defo an airbrush job.

It's raining where we are.

Log time: 10:45, Monday 4th May 2020

The ice was slowly melting, but with the weather still bitterly cold, I got kitted up ready to brave the elements

Bed.gif.f274e08cf0a447e7b317309e45d5ac3b.gif

Mikie.gif.a03da51cc902d6c2d8fd93ee87710205.gif

Lizzie meanwhile was happy to go out in a t shirt as normal - she never feels the cold!

image.png.2d62de8bd61749d1e6557b006a3c54cd.png

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

Log time: 11:00, Saturday 19th September 2009

We’re starting our challenge trip with a visit to the Huddlesford Heritage Gathering in 2009, because we’re big fans of steam narrowboat President, and wanted a chance to see her on her centenary tour.

Xy8h-1sJdRJVYuV6bWX9cx_FmrcmqY3apG9xN8YHHmcoKsbvZ9C6MesIp64G0v5rP46pyk1mxIEy_Faa69YDnni9zqwd77xiOicKfK16FV_Ncuqe9KINopmll1yS1uJV_00VunWs

E53LP9GTPS8d7vAieLrnlEcrryjCPkezfezGpBMrI3x44OlTUYQFoBx58nlF_SZ4hyBlXC2ooF1UGGCMM_t9sjri7xHet89NBIgQMTHLnOczvvtfiQkeBWK8P5ptvKn2HeBkvDRC

(photos from the Heritage Gathering gallery)

President originally worked as a fly boat, travelling day and night between Birmingham and London, carrying tea, spices and beer. You can see her in action on Youtube

After a tour of President’s engine room, we headed back to William and started the process of heating, oiling and priming the Bolinder, ready for departure.

We must have confused the crowd at the Heritage Gathering, as we dialled up 1924 on the Automat Sehnsucht to begin our journey up the Ogley Locks and left in a swirl of icy wind.

The crew were glad to hear that we’d be assisted up the 30 locks by volunteers.  Although surprised to be informed that this would help us get up the locks faster - that’s not really our experience of volockies!

Edited by RebelMike

26 minutes ago, RebelMike said:

Log time: 10:45, Monday 4th May 2020

The ice was slowly melting, but with the weather still bitterly cold, I got kitted up ready to brave the elements

Bed.gif.f274e08cf0a447e7b317309e45d5ac3b.gif

Mikie.gif.a03da51cc902d6c2d8fd93ee87710205.gif

Lizzie meanwhile was happy to go out in a t shirt as normal - she never feels the cold!

image.png.2d62de8bd61749d1e6557b006a3c54cd.png

Brilliant timelapse there!

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, smudgepuss said:

Erm, have Mikie's gloves become sentient?! I did not sign up for a week on a boat with terrifying murder gloves...

They seemed to be acting normally when I put them on, but maybe @HuggableHamster has something to report as she filmed them crawling down the bed!

Log time: 11:45, Monday 22nd September 1924

Location: Cappers Bridge on route from Huddlesford to Lock 30

After a rather slow start this morning due to the icy state of the cut and struggles creating animated GIFs we were finally able to leave Huddlesford at 11:30.

We snapped this photo of Cappers Bridge on our approach to the first lock of the flight, and later donated it to the Dudley Archives who added a rather unsightly watermark.

qfyIkQn8gCxI0PmNq3mEcCMc4MB30TGNj2C7tMLGzM-Nu00PUKs-uanMuDbpMPcus5oq6hbiw2MeorzWY7Bis4GIlZFHarb4glW3kl2Xg7M17tR-L2L2K0TU21vUKt2ZvCzTCKpL

(Image from the Black Country History site: http://blackcountryhistory.org/collections/getrecord/GB145_p_2092/)

And we can confirm the GPS signal is getting through!

Edited by RebelMike
  • Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, RebelMike said:

They seemed to be acting normally when I put them on, but maybe @HuggableHamster has something to report as she filmed them crawling down the bed!

Nothing sinister to report... maybe Herschel had something to do with it!

Anyone from the Facebook group Narrowboat Hookers and Stitchers I hope you appreciate the hand knits - socks (of course) knitted by @smudgepuss, fingerless gloves and hat knitted by me, the hat is a copy of a Fair Isle fisherman’s hat on display in Shetland, nice and toasty when it’s cold out.