Jump to content

what happened to the Kellogs "Dukers"?


Featured Posts

  • 1 month later...
On 09/05/2020 at 15:31, fanshaft said:

That's really interesting as I'd forgotten about the discharge arrangement at Hulme Lock.  Where did the grain go?  I assume into store if the Kelloggs main factory silo was full?  After the Kelloggs traffic finished the fleet (or most of the fleet) was sold to and operated by Weaver Storage (Jim Crampton) at Frodsham wharf  but gradually the craft were sold off.  Under new ownership Parbella and Sarah Abbott worked for me on the grain traffic to Nelstrops at Stockport, supplementing Charles William (Manvers size keel) which had from Feb 1981 initially discharged at Anderton BW depot (courtesy of Ken Moody the depot superintendent) then  later at Frodsham. (The traffic now uses Wigg wharf Runcorn).   Parbella's first load was 80 tonnes on 24th May 1982  to Frodsham (loads later increased to 84 tonnes). Sarah Abbott loaded 90 tonnes on 18th August that year (later increased to 100 tonnes) - and was always towed by Parbella. I don't have any more details as Charles William sank in the Mersey in October 1982 and from 1st January 1983 the contract passed to Viaduct Shipping who replaced the Dukers with larger vessels in due course.  I regret I don't have any photos other than of Charles William.

Best wishes David L

I would say the motor barge setting off is the parfield as my grandad used to paint the decks in red oxide. Parderry was scrapped a few years before they finished as she had an accident and stoved her bow in possibility she hit the bull nose of a lock my dad said he was on his way back to Liverpool for another  with the parcastle as he noticed a duker coming in the distance when they passed the wheelhouse was leaning over and the bow was pushed back to the winch . Parelia was dragged out at pamona docks  for scrapping a month or so before they finished . Pimblotts also built 3 of the dumb barges arlymere  radnormere and tattenmere . The discharge at hulme locks was for the factory across the canal and not Kellogg’s and was mostly Abbott’s barges that unloaded there . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was my grandad who took the last load into Kellogg’s with the parfield . The parfield was loaded the week before they finished . it was my grandads official retirement the week before and because of all the union work and time he had been in the dukers they wanted it to be him to take the last load .My father had the parcastle and my uncle had the parbella on the day they finished 

Edited by Barge Venus
  • Greenie 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 07/08/2020 at 21:40, Barge Venus said:

It was my grandad who took the last load into Kellogg’s with the parfield . The parfield was loaded the week before they finished . it was my grandads official retirement the week before and because of all the union work and time he had been in the dukers they wanted it to be him to take the last load .My father had the parcastle and my uncle had the parbella on the day they finished 

What were their names? And can you name any other crews, for historical records before the information is lost forever?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jenevers said:

What were their names? And can you name any other crews, for historical records before the information is lost forever?

my grandfather cpt Ernest Parkinson and mate john Parkinson on parfield ,my father cpt thomas Parkinson and mate Walter simcock on parcastle ,uncle cpt Ernest Parkinson jnr and Thomas Blake on the parbella ‘ cpt Charlie woods and I think it was his son on the paradine not sure of the dump barge men .my father Thomas switch his stuff over to the iris Abbott on the day the dukers finished and went down on the river weaver carrying salt and chemicals until abbots finished in 1978 his mate on the iris was Sam smith .After my father finished on the river weaver he became a lock keeper on the Wigan flight and lengths man of the Leigh branch of the Leeds and Liverpool canal  until he retired of ill health in 1998 and he lived on his old lifeboat until he passed away . My uncle Ernest went on to work the floating 60ton crane on the Msc until his untimely death at the age of 35 . Charlie woods as far as I know finished his working life still employed by the msc. Hope that helps 

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought Paradine from Mark Holtham.  Kept her at Diglis dock for a while whilst Mark put some portholes into the coaming and created a hatch into the main hold which was unconverted when I bought it.  She was moved under her Gardiner 4L3 from Worcester to Poplar Dock Marina near Canary Wharf.  I took a load of bagged coal as cargo/ballast on her journey around Lands End and then up the Thames.  She spent just over three years in London.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/09/2020 at 20:00, Barge Venus said:

my grandfather cpt Ernest Parkinson and mate john Parkinson on parfield ,my father cpt thomas Parkinson and mate Walter simcock on parcastle ,uncle cpt Ernest Parkinson jnr and Thomas Blake on the parbella ‘ cpt Charlie woods and I think it was his son on the paradine not sure of the dump barge men .my father Thomas switch his stuff over to the iris Abbott on the day the dukers finished and went down on the river weaver carrying salt and chemicals until abbots finished in 1978 his mate on the iris was Sam smith .After my father finished on the river weaver he became a lock keeper on the Wigan flight and lengths man of the Leigh branch of the Leeds and Liverpool canal  until he retired of ill health in 1998 and he lived on his old lifeboat until he passed away . My uncle Ernest went on to work the floating 60ton crane on the Msc until his untimely death at the age of 35 . Charlie woods as far as I know finished his working life still employed by the msc. Hope that helps

Excellent info👍

23 hours ago, Seaview said:

I bought Paradine from Mark Holtham.  Kept her at Diglis dock for a while whilst Mark put some portholes into the coaming and created a hatch into the main hold which was unconverted when I bought it.  She was moved under her Gardiner 4L3 from Worcester to Poplar Dock Marina near Canary Wharf.  I took a load of bagged coal as cargo/ballast on her journey around Lands End and then up the Thames.  She spent just over three years in London.

Round Lands End! Bet that was interesting. Where is she now?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was interesting especially when the water pump started to fail and we had to pull into harbour.  A chap came out, took away damaged part, machined a new one and we went on our way when it was re-installed.

 

I’ve no idea where she is now unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Seaview said:

It was interesting especially when the water pump started to fail and we had to pull into harbour.  A chap came out, took away damaged part, machined a new one and we went on our way when it was re-installed.

 

I’ve no idea where she is now unfortunately.

She is currently on the river weaver with the parfield parbella iris Abbott and Sara Abbott 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Seaview said:

It was interesting especially when the water pump started to fail and we had to pull into harbour.  A chap came out, took away damaged part, machined a new one and we went on our way when it was re-installed.

 

I’ve no idea where she is now unfortunately.

When was this?

 

3 hours ago, Barge Venus said:

She is currently on the river weaver with the parfield parbella iris Abbott and Sara Abbott 

Great location for them!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 7 months later...

Where can I find more information on these boats, please. My Uncle and Dad owned Weaver Storage Company and as a kid I remember they bought Parfield, Parcastle, Parbella and Paradine. Also 10 or 12 'dummies' all ending in 'mere'. They carried salt from ICI in Northwich which was stored at Fordham. I helped unload them as a young teenager. I remember going across the river Mersey on one of the 'Packets'. Quite scary!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of photos for you, the second with Staintondale still surviving as the sailing club house beyond the viaduct.

Frodsham 2.jpg

Frodsham 3.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG. Hairs on the back of my neck time. Thank You so much. My 2 brothers and I spent almost every weekend and Summer holiday working there. I see that there were 2 other 'Packets', but Im certain that 'we' only had 4 of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank You, all for your feedback. Its excellent, and I appreciate it greatly. Ive forwarded the photos to my Brother in Asia. Where is Pimblotts, and is it still in operation? I would love to visit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.