what happened to the Kellogs "Dukers"?

jenevers

Featured Posts

Iris Abbott, Sarah Abbott and Parfield are on the River Weaver. Parbella has recently relocated to the Weaver too, after many years at Leigh on the Bridgewater.

Paradine has spent some time in the Isle Of Man but not sure where abouts it is now.

The Weaver just above Northwich (just below Hunts lock) is a proper "interesting old boat" location, especially now the dry dock is up and running, worth a visit, but then the whole of the Weaver is worth lots of visits.

................Dave

The motor boats were:

Paradine, Parbella, Parcastle. Parderry, Parelia and Parfield.

The dumb boats included:

Bigmere, Colemere, Crosemere, Flaxmere, Hatchmere, Oakmere, Pickmere, Radnormere and Tableymere.

It was mainly the dumb boats which went to Africa, where they were intended for carrying cargoes from shore to ship.

And there was me thinking this was a 1950's breakfast cereal that had passed me by in my youth - anyone on here do the same and honest enough to admit it??

What do these things look like and why were they a distinct "class" yes I could google it but that wouldn't keep the topic alive........or come up with as interesting recollections/photos.

Edited by Halsey

21 hours ago, jenevers said:

Parbella and Parfield are still around, I think, but am I right in thinking that a couple of the fleet of 6 went to Africa?

Parderry and Parelia were scrapped soon after trade finished.

Paradine was down south on the Thames but returned  to Manchester a few years ago

Parcastle  went to Ireland in 1993 and was renamed JD McFaul 

Edited by Loddon

3 hours ago, Halsey said:

And there was me thinking this was a 1950's breakfast cereal that had passed me by in my youth - anyone on here do the same and honest enough to admit it??

What do these things look like and why were they a distinct "class" yes I could google it but that wouldn't keep the topic alive........or come up with as interesting recollections/photos.

• Love 1

FENMERE was re named Sarah Abbott 

PARFIELD , PARBELLA, PARADINE and IRIS ABBOTT and Sarah Abbott (FENMERE) are all on the weaver.

PARCASTLE is now called The JD Mc Faul and is in Ireland.

BIGMERE is at the boat museum in Ellsmere port.

BARMERE is a house boat on the Saint Helens canal and was for sale a couple of years ago.

(Paradine spent time in London and then Tarleton as apposed to the Isle of Man)

(Parfield is the only surviving Yarwoods motor and all the Dum boats were Yarwoods built)

(only 3 Dum boats are known to be still be in the UK, Sarah Abbott (FENMERE) BARMERE and BIGMERE

Edited by Heritage

A couple of photos circa 1972 of Colemere and Hatchmere- not sure of the motor -  getting ready to unload at Hume Lock (Geoff Wheat), and of the unloading gear (Roger Lorenz).

1972 Hulme Lock, Kellogs boats 040.jpg

Hulme Lock 391.jpg

For anyone who has not read it, there is a good article below with a few sub-pages including some images.

http://heritageboatassociation.ie/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=246&Itemid=64

Duker story began in 1947 with the last delivery to Kelloggs was made in March 1974

To summarise the above:

Iris Abbott (prototype)   Extant in northwich 

Paradine   (Pimblotts)    was Thames then Tarleton? now Weaver.

Parbella    (Pimblotts)    Extant, now in northwich 

Parcastle   (Pimblotts)    Ireland Shannon Harbour, as J D McFaul (still?)

Parderry    (Pimblotts)    Scapped

Parelia      (Yarwoods)    Scrapped

Parfield    (Yarwoods)    Extant in northwich 

Parglena  (replica) is a new one on me, but obviously joins the naming sequence.

Daniel

Edited by DHutch
Paradine now on weaver

26 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Parglena  (replica) is a new one on me, but obviously joins the naming sequence.

Parglena is not its original name but when I had it surveyed by Roger Lorenz  then the owner of Parbella and Mike Carter the owner of Parfield it was they that suggested that I change the name and follow the naming sequence.

It took me a while to come up with something, Pargiter was suggested, however Galena is heavy lead ore but it didn't sound right so I shortened it to glena.

5 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Parglena is not its original name but when I had it surveyed by Roger Lorenz  then the owner of Parbella and Mike Carter the owner of Parfield it was they that suggested that I change the name and follow the naming sequence.

It took me a while to come up with something, Pargiter was suggested, however Galena is heavy lead ore but it didn't sound right so I shortened it to glena.

Sounds a great name to me, fun to me part of the set, never really met Roger but Mike Carter is great.

4 hours ago, DHutch said:

For anyone who has not read it, there is a good article below with a few sub-pages including some images.

http://heritageboatassociation.ie/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=246&Itemid=64

Duker story began in 1947 with the last delivery to Kelloggs was made in March 1974

To summarise the above:

Iris Abbott (prototype)   Extant in northwich 

Paradine   (Pimblotts)    was Thames nor Tarleton?

Parbella    (Pimblotts)    Extant, now in northwich 

Parcastle   (Pimblotts)    Ireland Shannon Harbour, as J D McFaul (still?)

Parderry    (Pimblotts)    Scapped

Parelia      (Yarwoods)    Scrapped

Parfield    (Yarwoods)    Extant in northwich 

Daniel

Paradine now also on the weaver

12 hours ago, Heritage said:

Paradine now also on the weaver

Ah right, very good. I have updated my post. Thanks.

43 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Great to see the use of a line being used to warp Parfield round (at 1.20).

Does anyone else have any videos of boats being manoeuvred using lines?

Its good isn't it, obviously the larger the boat the more you have do that, but equally we often put a line out for a tight junction, and the line work when running a pair up locks is half the joy!

Daniel

13 hours ago, jenevers said:

Is there as big a difference between the Yarwood’s and Pimblott’s Dukers as there is with their Short Boats?

Yes, Pimblotts are a lot more angular with more welding as apposed to Yarwoods that are much more curvy. PARFIELD is the only yarwoods motor to survive. 

On 03/05/2020 at 21:00, Heritage said:

Paradine spent time in London and then Tarleton as apposed to the Isle of Man)

Paradine spent some time in Preston, and then went over to Douglas on the Isle of Man for docking. Not sure how long she was over there for but has now returned 

Ask your dad about it, and he suggested the Skipper for the trip :)

On 04/05/2020 at 13:42, Pluto said:

A couple of photos circa 1972 of Colemere and Hatchmere- not sure of the motor -  getting ready to unload at Hume Lock (Geoff Wheat), and of the unloading gear (Roger Lorenz).

1972 Hulme Lock, Kellogs boats 040.jpg

Hulme Lock 391.jpg

That's really interesting as I'd forgotten about the discharge arrangement at Hulme Lock.  Where did the grain go?  I assume into store if the Kelloggs main factory silo was full?  After the Kelloggs traffic finished the fleet (or most of the fleet) was sold to and operated by Weaver Storage (Jim Crampton) at Frodsham wharf  but gradually the craft were sold off.  Under new ownership Parbella and Sarah Abbott worked for me on the grain traffic to Nelstrops at Stockport, supplementing Charles William (Manvers size keel) which had from Feb 1981 initially discharged at Anderton BW depot (courtesy of Ken Moody the depot superintendent) then  later at Frodsham. (The traffic now uses Wigg wharf Runcorn).   Parbella's first load was 80 tonnes on 24th May 1982  to Frodsham (loads later increased to 84 tonnes). Sarah Abbott loaded 90 tonnes on 18th August that year (later increased to 100 tonnes) - and was always towed by Parbella. I don't have any more details as Charles William sank in the Mersey in October 1982 and from 1st January 1983 the contract passed to Viaduct Shipping who replaced the Dukers with larger vessels in due course.  I regret I don't have any photos other than of Charles William.

Best wishes David L

Edited by fanshaft

I remember a photo of 2 Dukers piled one on top of the other awaiting cutting up,somewhere near Hulme lock, Cant remember where I saw the photo? Is it true that a spare engine was ordered when the boats were new,but was never needed ?