Team Indigo Dream Virtual BCN Challenge 2020 Cruise Log

Featured Posts

Day 2 Tuesday 5th May - Cruising Log of Augmented Reality Indigo Dream (ARID)

Gilpin’s Arm 

In 202, of course, the turn to Gilpin's Arm is tranquil and countryfied; with the lockdown in force, the air is particularly clear. Imaging our surprise then when we activated the time machine and found this smoky, industrial landscape before us. Nontheless, if it weren't for industry, there would be no canals, so we forgot about the fume-filled air and enjoyed the energy that formed our modern world.

Christine Gilpins 1

While we were there, we encountered some strange craft, never seen on any other part of the canal system...

Simon Engine

As a helmswoman challenged by height I can definitely see (or not!) the disadvantages of this engine design!

Cannock Extension 

It never ceases to amaze us how the Cannock Extension can be arrow straight when the Wyrley and Essington is so convoluted!

Cannock Extension 1

For fun, we deployed the time machine, but soon found ourselves head to head with this formidable convoy of Amptom Boats (85' x 7' 9") being towed by a day tug as their journey could be completed in a day. Although the canal is wide and deep, it was easier to move forward in time than to move into the bank!

Simon norton canes tug

We moved to 2009, where we met some old friends - traditional craft nb Fulbourne and arguably the BCN's most famour residents, Atlas and Malus.

Pelsall FulbourneCannock Atlas & Malus

We came back to the present to cruise the now quiet and beautiful canal – it's a perfect place for the greyhounds to stretch their legs.

In 2017 the propellor picked up a fine length of stair carpet under Wyrley Grove Bridge. In 2018, we picked up the second length – same carpet, same place. Sadly, we didn't pick up a third section today as I have a house to furnish in Wales! 

Cannock Carpet 2017

Cannock Carpet 2

Cannock Carpet 2018

Cannock Carpet 1

• Greenie 2

Wyrley and Essington Canal

The skipper's favourite - winding and beautiful, surrounded by lush countryside with fine view over the Tame Valley to the Birmingham Plateau beyond.

It's affectionately nicknamed the "Curly Wurly" for good reason...

Wyrley & Essington views 2a

Lush countryside and expansive views...

Wyrley & Essington views 1a

And a most unexpected treasure - a wild English orchid growing on the towpath...

Curly Wurly Orchid

Lord's Hayes Arm 

We flitted between times on this Arm - although there is little left in the present, it exists in the past, and is expected to live again in the future (hopefully as soon as 2030) as part of the new route down to Hatherton. Of course we stopped there to inspect the new junction that will be.

While passing through Fishley Colliery, we paused in the present for quick a game of golf (in the present day).

Lord's Hayes Arm looking particularly tranquil on this day...

Christine Lord's Hayes 1

The Lord's Hayes Arm terminus - present day - a nursing home appropriately named "Water's Edge"

Simon Lord's Hayes Terminus

Walsall Canal 

Ah the Walsall Canal is familiar ground for Indigo Dream. However, after a day spend relaxing with no locks to do, the crew found the toil of the Walsall flight a bit taxing. Lucky for us that Simon found a fine place for us to take the waters - the brine pools at Walsall swimming pool providing some much needed hydrotherapy.

Simon Walsall Brine Baths

The Town Basin was quiet, but it a very fine mooring spot, However we turned back up the locks, pleased to be avoiding the stretch from Walsall to Ocker Hill, which is invariably shallow and slow.   

Fine view from the Walsall Locks...

Walsall Locks

Winding in Walsall Town Basin...

Walsall Town Basin

Heading away from Walsall Top Lock towards our overnight mooring...

Walsall Top towards Birchills

Ending a fine day's cruise at Sneyd Junction

Sneyd Junction

Poetry Corner: 

As today’s theme is birdlife, here’s a poem that you can sing while birdwatching... 

12 Birds a Boating 

On the twelfth day of boating, these birds we saw, I pledge! 

Twelve woodpeckers drumming

Eleven plovers piping 

Ten magpies leaping 

Nine starlings dancing 

Eight herons fishing 

Seven swans a swimming 

Six geese a guarding 

Five golden pheasants 

Four cooty birds 

Three laying hens 

Two summer swallows

And a kingfisher on the water’s edge. 

Kingfisher

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

Recipe of the Day: Traditional Birmingham Food (contraversial!) 

Google search: Traditional Birmingham Food (savoury)– faggots, groaty pudding, Balti, pork scratchings 

Google search: Traditional Birmingham Food for vegetarians: Vegetable balti 

Google Search: Traditional Birmingham Food for vegetarians who don’t like curry: No results found! 

Alright, I'm only joking! There are many fine vegetarian options, I should know, I've cooked most of them for our crew over the years!

When I designed and made a commemorative BCN jam back in 2017, it was much easier to find traditional savoury recipes (which is why I made a BCN Balti Chutney in 2018!). But there is good foraging on the BCN - all these ingredients will be found around the city (at a push, top up the fruit in the farm shop in Essington!)

Jammin’ on the BCN – a celebration jam for the 2017 BCN Marathon Challenge

BCN Jam

2 Bramley Cooking Apples

1 x 500g punnet of strawberries

1 x 250g punnet of blackberries (preferably wild berries from the hedgerows)

1 x 250g punnet of raspberries

1 x handful of rhubarb stems

Handful of redcurrants

Handful of blackcurrants

Handful of red cherries

Note: if you can’t get fresh berries and currants then just buy a frozen “summer fruit” mix from your local farm shop or supermarket.

1 – 2 bottle of Aston Manor Knights Malvern Gold Cider

1 tablespoon lemon juice

Jam Sugar (see below for quantity) - you can use ordinary granulated sugar but I'm aways after quick results!

48 Hours in advance:

• Wash the fruit
  • Place the berries in a large bowl or bucket
  • Cut the rhubarb into 1″ chunks – no need to peel – add to the berries
  • Cut the apples into small chunks and add to the berries – no need to remove the core/skin
  • Pour the cider over until the fruit is just covered
  • Leave to marinate overnight
    • NOTE: the juice from the fruit will add to the volume of liquid in the bucket so make sure you allow enough room!

24 hours in advance:

• Place the fruit and the cider in a large jam saucepan (these are large and wide-mouthed)
  • Bring to the boil and simmer gently until the fruit is soft (15 – 20 minutes)
  • Once the fruit is soft turn off the heat
  • Now pass the fruit through a colander – this will remove the skins/cores that you really don’t want in a jam – this will leave you with a thick extract full of pips!
  • Then you have three options:
    • For a thick jam with LOTS of pips just use the extract as it is (not recommended)
    • For a thick jam with a few pips, press the extract through a sieve (recommended)
    • For a beautiful clear jelly, allow the juice from the extract to drip through a muslin jelly bag – this will take several hours; preferably overnight. This is  well worth the effort as you can make the clear juice into a jelly and make a jam with the pulp

On the day:

• Measure the volume of the fruit extract (pippy pulp, smooth pulp or clear juice) that you are using to make your preserve
  • You will need enough jars to hold roughly TWICE the volume of your fruit extract – see below how to sterilise your jars)
  • Allow 1.5 pounds of jam sugar per pint of fruit extract (you can try 1.25 pounds and add the extra if your jam doesn’t set)
  • Put the fruit extract into a clean jam saucepan and add the lemon juice – stir well
  • Warm the extract and just before it boils add the calculated amount of sugar – stir the pot well until the sugar is dissolved
  • Once the sugar has dissolved completely, turn the heat up and bring the preserve to a rolling boil – if you have a jam thermometer you are aiming for a temperature of 105 degrees centigrade.
  • Turn the heat down and simmer for no more than 5 minutes; turn the heat off and test for a set (place a spoonful of preserve on a plate and put it in the fridge to cool – once it’s cold, run your finger over the surface – it will wrinkle if you have a set. Jellies may have a softer set than a pulpy jam.
    • If you don’t have a set then bring the jam to the boil and simmer for another 15 minutes, test for set.
      • If that doesn’t work then add another tablespoonful of lemon juice and bring to the boil again.
        • If that doesn’t work then you could add a bottle of pectin extract e.g. Certo and just bring to the boil
          • If all that doesn’t achieve a set, pot it up and call it a syrup – it will be delicious on ice cream, porridge or Eton Mess
  • Pot your jam while hot into warm sterilised jars – fill your jars to the brim
  • Put a top on the jar – either the lid that came with the jar (well washed in very hot water) or a traditional cellophane cover held in place with an elastic band
  • Allow the jars to cool; wash any spillage from the sides, label and enjoy ?

Sterilising your jars:

• Make sure that your jars are clean and don’t have any chips or cracks; rinse well with hot water before use. It is fine to re-use jars but do not use pickle or chutney jars – you can never remove the smell of vinegar!
  • Put the jars on a baking tray and place in a cold oven
  • Turn the oven on – set it to 120 degrees centigrade
  • Once the jars have reached 120 degrees (usually around 20 minutes) then remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes before you pot your jam.

Tales from the Geistersammler (Ghost Collector) 

The Geistersammler remained strangely empty until we reached the far reaches of the Cannock Extension Arm, when we were greeted by a number of spectral visitors... 

“Ave Natis! Cassius est nomen meum.. 

The Roman centurion, wearing armour that I’d only seen in my schoolbooks, must have sensed my confusion. He switched to English, and was surprisingly eloquent. 

“Greeting sailors! My name is Cassius, centurion of Rome. I was completing my watch on Watling Street when I was drawn to your fine ship!” 

“Welcome! I don’t imagine there were barges, sorry, ships, here in your time.” 

“No, there were forests and troublesome Britons, led by that red-haired wench, Boudicca. But we crushed her under our iron-shod sandals, though who knows what we might find in these far-flung counties.” 

“You’ll find us! My name is Esne and you will not take my village from me!” a Briton popped out of the Geistersammler. He was simply dressed, but was obviously a man of some substance. His spear looked sharp as it scraped along the cabin’s ceiling.  

The centurion drew his short sword. “YOUR village? All things belong to Caesar.” 

“Essington is mine, for now and always!” Esne yelled. 

“Pax Domus!” I cried, invoking the traditional peace of the house before war broke out. 

“Indeed, there is little point in fighting. We are one people now.” a languid voice joined our conversation. 

“Caradoc of Cannock Chase at your service. Who would have guessed that our town would be named by the heathen Welsh. How times have changed since you two were busy dividing the country between you. We are one now.” 

“Ah, welcome Caradoc, was the canal here in your time? Do you have a tale to tell?” 

“There was no such thing here, though water was our fortune. The fair springs of Reaumorehill Well yielded the cleanest, freshest water in the country.” 

“Oh, but it’s always been so hard to keep water in the canal.” 

“’tis true, the gravelly soil which gave Cannock its name is profligate with its treasure, thus we are rich in rain and poor in drought.” 

Caradoc’s ghost winked. “The king sent his tax collectors here while London burned; they came for money and for water but found neither, forty-two of our forty-four households were too poor to pay. We sent them away thirsty while we bathed in our good fortune when the next thunderstorm washed over us.”  

Esne laughed with Caradoc – nothing better than dodging taxes. 

“You corrupt Britons,” Cassius shook his head, “You never give unto Caesar, whether it be respect or tithes. But surely there were Roman hands in the making of this straight canal – deep, fitted for its purpose, no Briton could construct so efficiently!” 

I thought of the extravagant curves of the Wyrley and Essington canal, barely two miles away. Thinking that the sight of it might kill our roman friend for a second time, I quickly closed the connection to the Geistersammlet for another day...          

• Greenie 2

"You are struck by the unusual lack of wildlife on the stretch of canal you are navigating today. Perhaps you can do something about that? Please create a swan in any way you choose"

I'd like to introduce the rare Green-Winged Towel Swan guarding her brood of origami cygnets...

Green-winged Towel Swan

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Indigo Dreamers said:

Section  

Miles  

Locks  

Time in 

Time out 

Gilpin’s Arm 

09:24 

W&E main line to Pelsall Junction 

09:24 

09:31 

Cannock Extension to Watling St & return 

09:31 

10:43 

W&E main line to Lord Hayes Junction 

10:43 

11:02 

Lord Hayes Branch 

11:02 

11:50 

W&E main line to Birchills  Junc 

11:50 

13:19 

Birchills Junc to Walsall Junc 

13:19 

14:23 

Walsall Junc to Basin and return 

14:23 

14:35 

Walsall Junc to Birchills Junc 

14:35 

15:39 

Birchills Junc to Sneyd Junc 

15:39 

16:15 

We had a peaceful night at Gilpin's Junction but were very glad of ARID's generous dimensions. After accusations of "greyhound abuse" on our opening post we had to quickly re-assign the sofa and human beds.  Sadly the inclement weather meant that we had to let Simon indoors, the meagre blanket that we'd left for him on deck being covered in yesterday's snow. Christine had the inflatable bed on the floor, where she found her legs pinned by 30kg of snoozing greyhound, but at least her feet were warm!

Alex on a 4' 6" double bed - he'd rather a king size but really, the clue's in the name Alex, narrowboat!

img_5264

Saffy now has a sofa...

Saffy Sofa

The morning started bright and breezy; the wind had a cold edge but at least the skies were blue - I'd say a 17 on the cyanometer which we are now using to gauge the weather. So we engaged the time machine and set off along the Gilpin Arm - more of that in the next post.

Cyanometer

I can see a "siltometer" being more useful on the BCN...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Indigo Dreamers said:

Ending a fine day's cruise at Sneyd Junction

It's always nice to have neighbours!

Feel free to head up the Sneyd Locks before us tomorrow if you're heading that way - but if you could leave the bottom paddles up for us that'd be grand :)

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Capt Ahab said:

I've brought my sun compass, but that only works with sun. 

spacer.png

13 hours ago, Capt Ahab said:

I've also used a tiltmeter, which could be useful this week. Here it is in use, when resting on the mud in the lock at Dartford.

spacer.png

Hi Indigo Dreamers!

I think the giraffe has made something happen to the Automat - we bumped in to you this evening, but it looked like we were at Titford?!

hAH8kMCrM5fC3JNt2MYyy4qibKmFykd6lv2SiNd48s10-govgoqxY69pMkiqC03isQ3ZRGMnMCh5n9pN8rADs3-H9RPNy8VEGEYhZyVSbVeAY6p592rRZTjq_TIYE3UL9iJM1zs8

Anyway, please take care of him, and don't forget to pass him on if you bump into anyone else.

unnamedgiraff.png.png

Good luck for the rest of the challenge!

Team Rebellion

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

Day 3 Wednesday 6th May - Cruising Log of Augmented Reality Indigo Dream (ARID)

Section  

Miles  

Locks  

Time in 

Time out 

Sneyd Junction to Essington branch junction

09:00:00 

09:44:12 

Essington locks Junc to Essingtom locks terminus

09:44:12 

10:21:12 

Essington locks terminus to Essington locks Junction

10:21:12 

10:58:12 

Essingtom branch junction to Wyrley Bank terminus

10:58:12 

12:27:00 

Wyrley Bank terminus to Sneyd Junction 

12:27:00 

14:40:00 

Sneyd Junction to Wednesfield Junction 

14:40:00 

16:40:00 

Sneyd Junction proved to be a very sociable mooring, giving us the chance to share tall tales with regular resident boats and our fellow BCN Challengers. That is the advantage of a time machine, we can just pop to a time before Covid, enjoy a gathering, then pop back to the present for a good night’s sleep. 

The day dawned fair and sunny, thought the air was distinctly chilly. We heard groans from the resident boaters as they found that their rooftops gardens had been touched by an overnight frost. Luckily the crew of ARID were toasty warm and raring to go. As well as the hearty porridge served for breakfast, Christine decided to eat the pink grapefruit that she’d brought aboard. I found one half of the rind resting on a warm radiator, filling the boat with its tangy fragrance. I squirrelled the other half-rind away for slicing into twists for tonight’s beverage. 

Team Rebellion, also moored at Sneyd Junction, kindly let us start up the locks first, on the understanding that we opened the bottom paddles behind us. That was fine by us – Christine, Emily and Richard are both super-efficient lock-wheelers so they soon got into a rhythm, working three locks at a time, emptying the one behind us for the next boat, working Indigo Dream through the second, and preparing the next. I stayed on the helm – with Richard on heavy duties, I’m the only one who can cruise Indigo Dream cleanly into the locks at the speed we need to maintain the 5 minute per lock pace. 

In the meantime, Simon, our resident mathematician, got to work on today’s quiz and indulged in some mathematic analysis of the Wyrley and Essington’s route. 

Simon started by writing an elaborate computer programme to look for fishing port codes within the list of canal place names that had been provided. Sadly this took rather longer than the “Mark 1 eyeball” method adopted by Christine, but he had invented a useful tool next time this type of quiz comes around.  Here’s a little bonus for you – the fishing ports that can be created from the principal tunnels of the BCN – you're welcome!.

Simon Fishing Ports from Tunnels

Now everyone, pay attention, this is your home schooling session for the day! 

Simon has spent some time developing the concept of curlitude, which is defined as C = M/D -1. In this formula D is the direct distance (as the crow flies) between any two points that we have visited as part of our cruise, and M is the minimum distance (making use of time travel where necessary) by canal between the same two points. So, for example, for the Cannock Extension which we visited yesterday, this has a curlitude of zero (as M=D). By contrast over the last two days we have travelled from the end of the Lord’s Hayes branch to the wharf for Norton Cannock Colliery, on the Wyrley Bank branch – see below:

Simon Curlitude 2

For these two points D = 0.25 miles, and M= 9.35 miles (via Birchills and Sneyd Junctions), giving a curlitude of just over 36.  I wonder if this is a record for the BCN, or indeed for the UK canal system? As a contrast the infamous meanderings on the Southern Oxford near Wormleighton only has a C-value of 2.6/0.6-1 = 3.3. 

Simon Curlitude

There are some promising looking candidates in the Wednesbury area, which we may investigate later in the week. 

As always, we will visit some of today's canals in the next post, but for now we're moored up at Wednesfield Junction and the crew is resting in anticipation of more locking tomorrow.

Bentley Canal Entrance

Although ARID is pretty luxurious by boating standards, the crew was still a little envious of the duck castles near our mooring!.

Duck House Wednesfield
  • Greenie 3

The time machine was essential for today's cruising as there is little left of the Essington Locks and Wyrley Bank Branch in modern times, though walkers and cyclist can still enjoy the footpath that follows the line of the old canal towpath.

This is one of Andy Tidy's photographs:

Christine Wyrley Branch Canal

Several of today's photographs are "creative commons" from https://www.geograph.org.uk

People using the paths today could neved have imagined that this was a bustling canal surrounded by coal mines, both deep shafts and open cast.

Wyrley Branch Canal Towpath

But I'm ahead of myself, the day began with the Sneyd Locks...

Christine Sneyd Lock historic

Though we took a moment to take a look at the Sneyd Reservoir nearby. We didn't spot the old pumping house that once kept the water flowing into the canal, but it was a lovely spot to visit.

B Sneyd Reservoir

Christine spotted that the bridges on the Wyrley Bank are arched - this is apparently because the builders were not expecting any subsidence from the open cast coal mining. This in contrast with the bridged over the Cannock Extension Arm, which were 'square' and had structurs that would allow builders to use bottle jacks to raise the bridges in case of subsidence caused by deep shaft mining in the Cannock Coalfields.

Sadly, the only bridge I spotted today was a simple footbrdige which has replaced what used to be a swinbridge over the canal.

Wyrley Branch Footbridge

We reached a significant milsetone today. We paused at the top of the Essington Locks to enjoy what used to be the highest point of the Birmingham Canal network at 536'. We looked across into the hazy distance, towards the current summit at Titford (510') - it felt as if we could have stepped across the Tame Valley to the BCNS' current home, forgetting for a moment the miles of toil that actually lay between us.

It's difficult to read, but the geological survey of the area, undertaken in 1860, gives a fascinating view of the land beneath the canal.

Back on the Wyrley and Essington, we enjoyed cruising past Hollybank Basin, another historic stub which, although it is in water, is too silted for navigation.

Hollybank Basin

It was a reminder of how difficult it must have been for laden, deep-drafted boats to navigate this shallow, narrow, winding canal, though it is a delight for us in a modern relatively shallow-drafted boat.

Fulbourne grounded by Wednesfield Junction

Today's Challenge and Poetry Corner

12 Props a fouling 

Over twelve days of boating, my propeller gave to me.. 

Twelve plastic carriers 

Eleven yards of netting 

Ten feet of carpet 

Nine old foam cushions 

Eight hats and jumpers 

Seven belts and ties 

Six pairs of trousers 

Five bras and panties 

Four rubber tyres 

Three golfing brollies 

Two balls of wool 

And a beautiful silken sari. 

Quiz Challenge

• Happy 1

Recipe of the Day 

Christine got up at the crack of dawn to get the bread on so it was ready and cooled down before lunch. She used a small bread maker (530watt) on a low setting, which worked very well with ARID's 2.5kw inverter and left plenty of power for phone charging and other devices. The bread too three hours - perfect timing for lunch.

Christine Bread MakerChristine Bread

Bread Recipe 

Water - 180ml 

Oil - 1 tablespoon (15ml) 

Salt - 1 teaspoon 

Strong White Bread Flour - 200g 

Six Seed Bread Flour - 120g 

Caster Sugar - 1 Tablespoon 

Skimmed Milk Powder - 1 Tablespoon 

Easy blend yeast - 1 Teaspoon 

The small loaf allowed us a couple of delicious slices each, but that wasn't really enough to fuel a locking crew, so we supplemeted our lunch with a traditional Birmingham treat - Shrewebury Cakes. These date back to Elizabethan times (the first Elizabeth that is!) though recipes in those days tended to be a little imprecise:

To make Shrewsbury Cakes - Take two pound of floure dryed in the oven and weighed after it is dryed, then put to it one pound of butter that must be layd an hour or two in rose-water, so done poure the water from the butter, and put the butter to the flowre with the yolks and whites of five eggs, two races of ginger, and three quarters of a pound of sugar, a little salt, grate your spice, and it well be the better, knead all these together till you may rowle the past, then roule it forth with the top of a bowle, then prick them with a pin made of wood, or if you have a comb that hath not been used, that will do them quickly, and is best to that purpose, so bake them upon pye plates, but not too much in the oven, for the heat of the plates will dry them very much, after they come forth of the oven, you may cut them without the bowles of what bignesse or what fashion you please. 

— The Compleat Cook of 1658 

Of course, modern bakers have interpreted that in different ways, and there are many variants. To add extra energy, I threw some raisins into the mix!

• 1 lb (450g) Plain flour 

• 8 oz (225 g) Butter 

• 8 oz (225g) Caster sugar 

• ½ tsp Mixed spice

• 2oz Raisins

• 1 Egg 

• Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl, and rub in the butter. Add in the raisins. Work in the egg with a knife or spatula and knead lightly to form a stiff dough. 

1. Divide the dough into 16 equal balls, and pat out into 5” (13cm) rounds. 

1. Bake at gas mark 4 -5 (depending on your oven, ARID's is a bit hopeless) for 10-15 minutes. 

Gin of the Day  

Being in the heart of England it would only be appropriate to try a locally sourced gin and today Emily cycled to the Hearts Distillery to collect a freshly distilled bottle. IT was quite a trip but well worth the effort.

The recommended serve would be lots of ice, one-part Hearts and two parts quality tonic, with a twist of orange peel, but we improvised with provisions on board and used some grapefruit peel from Christine’s breakfast.  

Emily Wolverhampton Gin

• Love 1

Today we travelled through Essington's coalfields so it was inevitable that the Gesitersammler would pick up a miner...

"Howdo..." the miner's voice was gruff.

"Welcome, friend, do you have a tale for us?"

"Aye, if you like tales of fortune good and bad."

We nodded, the beautiful countryside around us gave no clues as to the areas mining heritage.

"Lucky Tom, they call me. I'm right pleased about that, because you could call me unlucky Tom too. Miners are a superstitious lot, do you know that they'll never work on New Year's Day because it's unlucky? It's as like they'd throw an unlucky man down a shaft and walk away." He coughed nastily and wiped a faint hand over his dirty face.

"You weren't murdered were you?" We were a bit shocked by his tale.

"Naw, I told you, I'm Lucky Tom. I've lived through every calamity that the deep mines can inflict on a man. See away there in the Black Country?" He pointed towards the far horizon to the South. "The masters would have their coal, so we picked our way through the seams, tunnelling like earthworms with the rock, the roof barely feet above our heads. Them tunnels collapsed often enough, but never on me, though I dug out my fair share of sad bodies from those narrow tombs."

We were silent, it seemed too horrible to be true, but he carried on...

"Aye, I were just a young lad when the pit in Audley went up - I remember saying to the gaffer that the air in the stables was foul, but he said I'd not cleaned the stables right. I was walking home when I heard it go - the firedamp. The ponies dead, and eleven men and boys, but not me, Lucky Tom." He laughed humourlessly.

"I moved then, to Cheadle. Ah, the mines almost got me, I was in a faint when the cage came up the shaft, but I was revived in the clean, fresh air, but the gaffer and his mate were suffocated. They say that for every disaster there's a miracle - that's me, Lucky Tom." He coughed painfully, his lungs sounding wet and awful. He hawked up some black phlegm, and I was relieved that it vanished before it hit the floor.

"Then just last year, 1872, Pelsall Hall Colliery. I was sat at the pithead, eating my breakfast, when the call came "Pull up!" - we dragged the cage up. A few poor souls were clung to it, soaked to the skin. We went down to look for more, in the darkness we heard men splashing about, shouting, scratching at the posts to stay afloat. We got some out but when the water fell, we found twenty-two broken bodies. I've seen a lot of things in my time, but that was the worst, so I moved here."

"But you lived to tell the tale..."

"Aye, I vowed never to go down a shaft again,who knows when a man's luck will run out. I figured that cutting coal in the open might stretch me luck a bit. Aye, only the lucky get old in this work, but the coal kills everyone in the end." Tom coughed deeply, his face turning blue under the grime.

I hastily closed to link to the Geisterstammler, unwilling to watch him suffer, and I vowed never to take a humble bag of coal for granted again.

Tales from the Geistersammler (Ghost Collector) - same as yesterday but the ending edited because I omitted a detail about ghost's life!

Today we travelled through Essington's coalfields so it was inevitable that the Geistersammler would pick up a miner...

"Howdo..." the miner's voice was gruff.

"Welcome, friend, do you have a tale for us?"

"Aye, if you like tales of fortune, good and bad."

We nodded, the beautiful countryside around us gave no clues as to the area's mining heritage.

"Lucky Tom, they call me. I'm right pleased about that, because you could call me Unlucky Tom too, when bad luck befalls those behind me. Miners are a superstitious lot, do you know that they'll never work on New Year's Day because it's unlucky? It's as like they'd throw an unlucky man down a shaft and walk away." He coughed nastily and wiped a faint hand over his dirty face.

"You weren't murdered were you?" We were a bit shocked by his tale.

"Naw, I told you, I'm Lucky Tom. I've lived through every calamity that the deep mines can inflict on a man. See away there in the Black Country?" He pointed towards the far horizon to the South. "The masters would have their coal, so we picked our way through the seams, tunnelling like earthworms with the rock, the roof barely feet above our heads. Them tunnels collapsed often enough, but never on me, though I dug out my fair share of sad bodies from those narrow tombs."

We were silent, it seemed too horrible to be true, but he carried on...

"Aye, I were just a young lad when the pit in Audley went up - I remember saying to the gaffer that the air in the stables was foul, but he said I'd not cleaned the stables right. I was walking home when I heard it go - the firedamp. The ponies dead, and eleven men and boys, but not me, Lucky Tom." He laughed humourlessly.

"I moved then, to Cheadle. Ah, the mines almost got me, I was in a faint when the cage came up the shaft. I was revived in the clean, fresh air, but the gaffer and his mate were suffocated. They say that for every disaster there's a miracle - that's me, Lucky Tom." He coughed painfully, his lungs sounding wet and awful. He hawked up some black phlegm, and I was relieved that it vanished before it hit the floor.

"Then just last year, 1872, Pelsall Hall Colliery. I was sat at the pithead, eating my breakfast, when the call came, Pull up! We dragged the cage up. A few poor souls were clung to it, soaked to the skin. We went down to look for more, in the darkness we heard men splashing about, shouting, scratching at the posts to stay afloat. We got some out but when the water fell, we found twenty-two broken bodies. I've seen a lot of things in my time, but that was the worst, so I moved here."

"But you lived to tell the tale..."

"Aye, I vowed never to go down a shaft again, who knows when a man's luck will run out? Ah've been looking after pit ponies for me whole life, figured I could look after these beasts too."

He gestured out of the window, to our astonishement, half a dozen grand towing horses, bedecked in brasses, waited patient for Tom. In the meadows behind them, hundreds of ghostly pit ponies blinked in the sunshine. I should have realised that the Geistersammler could draw their immense spirits too.

"Aye, treat them right and they'll follow you in this life and the next. I've been a lucky man, but the coal killed me in the end." Tom coughed deeply, his face turning blue under the grime.

I hastily closed to link to the Geisterstammler, unwilling to watch him suffer, and I vowed never to take a humble bag of coal for granted again.

• Greenie 2

Day 4 Thursday 7th May - Cruising Log of Augmented Reality Indigo Dream (ARID)

From 

To  

Miles 

Locks 

Time 
IN 

Time 
OUT 

Wednesfield Junction

Neachall Branch Junction

09:49:12 

Neachall Branch Junction

Neachall Branch Terminus

09:49:12 

10:01:12 

Neachall Branch Terminus

Neachall Branch Junction

10:01:12 

10:13:12 

Neachall Branch Junction

Bentley Canal Junction

10:13:12 

11:38:00 

Bentley Canal Junction

Anson Branch Terminal

11:38:00 

12:02:00 

Anson Branch Terminal

Bentley Canal Junction

12:02:00 

12:26:00 

Bentley Canal Junction 

Anson Branch Junction 

12:26:00 

12:38:00 

Anson Branch Junction 

Moorcroft Junction 

12:38:00 

13:26:00 

Moorcroft Junction

Monway Arm Junction

13:26:00 

13:31:17 

Monway Arm Junction

Monway Terminus

13:31:17 

13:43:17 

Monway Terminus

Monway Junction

13:43:17 

13:55:17 

Monway Arm Junction

Gospel Oak Junction

13:55:17 

13:58:38 

Gospel Oak Junction

Gospel Oak Terminus

13:58:38 

14:34:38 

Dumaresq Junction

Dumaresq Terminus

14:34:38 

14:56:38 

Dumaresq Terminus

Dumaresq Junction

14:56:38 

15:18:38 

Gospel Oak Terminus

Gospel Oak Junction

15:18:38 

15:54:38 

Gospel Oak Junction

Tame Valley Junction

15:54:38 

16:10:00 

The day started fair, and with fewer locks today I had the opportunity to spend the day in the galley, but more of that later...

We had been leaving the operation of the Automat Sensucht in Simon's capable hands, but he pointed out that all crew members needed a fundamental grasp of how to operate the device, so he wrote a most instructive manual for our perusal - more of that later too.

For the moment, we set the time machine to take us back to the Bentley Canal in its heyday. Again the contrast with the present day, or even the days of forty years ago, was marked. The first thing we noticed were the neat locks. Christine tells me that there was only paddle gear on one side, which would have made it easier had we not had enough crew to operate both sides of the lock. No matter, it meant that Simon could spend the morning tweaking our Automat Sensucht while Chrisine and Emily lock-wheeled and Richard manned the helm.

Bentley Canal Entrance

Fibbersley Nature Reseve - a far cry from the canal's heavy industrial past...

fibersley_lnr_01_cm

But that is as it is today, back in the day, the canal served a thriving industrial area - collieries, ironworks claypits and brickworks, of course. But there were also more diverse manufactories producing manure, acid, weldless steel tubing and phosphorus, and there, in the middle, a maker of chocolate and confectionery. It was a surprising hint of sweetness in the fumes and stench.

Bentley Lock Noo 1

We were surprised at the complexity of the canal network here - it's not such a big area geopraphically. But the great expansion of the population on the mid-1800's speaks of the rise of insutry and its insatiable need for coal.

There were some fascinating canalside industries - "The Phosphorus Company" of Wednesbury developed an innovative process for generating phosphorus from electricity. Although it was only on the site for a couple of years, imagine, in 1890, the sight of vast steam driven electric furnaces driving a huge alternator to produce electricity. 

It didn't take us long to reach the end of the first flight of six locks. Soon after we made use of the "time telescope" to take a look at the entrance to the Neachells Branch - it was a sorry sight, but fortunately we were cruising in happier times, when the collieries were in production and the canal abuzz with traffic.

Neachells - Bentley Junction AT

Our next adventure was the Anson Branch - the subject of much team debate. We were very excited to find reference to an Act of Parliament which allowed the construction of an inclined plane. The lift would have linked the branch to the Wyrlery and Essington at Birchills. Indigo Dream has never been lofted on an inclined plane, but sadly the structure was never built. It sounds as if ideas for extending the canals were ditched in favour of a tramway.

Another industry that fascinated us here was a weldless steel tubing company - we were familiar with Stewarts and Lloyds over on the Dudley Canal, but hadn't realised there were others int eh city. Interestingly, the rise in weldless steel tubing was partly driven by the rise in the popularlity of bicycles!

We travered various arms before briefly visiting familiar territory on the Walsall Canal. Then we deployed the time machine again and headed up the Gospel Oak Branch.

Looking back at the roving bridge at the entrance to the Gospel Oak Branch

View_looking_back_at roving_bridge_gospel_oak_branch_behind_on_left

The Dumaresq Branch at the far end of Gospel Oak was a mystery -we knew that it served the Gospel Oak Ironworks but there is very little information beyond that. Speaking to locals wandering the towpath back in the day didn't help us. Was the canal named for the unfortunate Mr Edward Dumaresq who moved to Australia and had had a disastrous second marriage to a woman he described as "utterly selfish, hard-hearted, tyrannical and a swindler"? Or was it Lieutenant John Dumaresq who invented a mechanical calculating device that related vital variables of fire control when firing from one moving ship to a moving target. Ah, we'll never know!

At the end of the day, we headed to our overnight mooring at the Tame Valley Junction.

tame_valley_junction

After a filling dinner (see next post), we took a walk up to the site of Ocker Hill Power Station and used the time machine to take a look at the cable laying operation. It seems impossible now that this heavy, inflexible cable was laid by a workforce of women, many of whom managed a cheery grin for the camera.

Ocker Hill Power Station

The Automat Sensucht: A Manual

Overall design concept
The Automat Sensucht used by the Indigo Dreamers comprises everyday boating components. When disassembled, they can be used by members of our crew when they assist visiting boaters who are traversing the tidal Thames. This approach reduces the risk of theft and/or inappropriate use of the device, and enables it to be stored in plain sight when not in use.

Training
New  users should take the virtual course now offered by the RYA (Royal Yachting Association), and secure their VHF SRC qualification (Virtual Hyperspace For Spacetime Roving Canalling). It is possible to use the device to enable you to take the training after you have used it for the first time, but this carries some obvious risks.

In order to make sense of the photograph (below), we decided to also include some instructions. These will shortly be added as Appendix 8 of the instruction manual for NB Scholar Gypsy (link here). It is necessary for all visiting crew to be familiar with this document.

Instructions for use

Automat Sensucht

1)     Unlock the virtual device. To avoid malicious use this requires use of a) CRT/BW key, b) an Environment Agency Abloy key, c) the key to the marina next to the finest Cathedral in England d) the key to the Elsan point at March, Middle Level Navigation, and e) a CRT anti-vandal key. Not necessarily in that order. If you use the keys in the wrong order, something very unpleasant will happen to you, and the device will no longer work.

2)     Connect up the virtual power supply to a convenient 12 volt supply. This gets increasingly difficult in the 18th Century. Variants are available for those who have a virtual 24V system on their boats. (I am getting bored of typing the word “virtual”, so will leave it out from now on).

3)     If you are in the middle of a lock flight, set the thing that looks like a VHF radio to the number of locks in the flight – in this case the Wolverhampton 21. Press the “scan” button to see if there are other boats in the flight, and “dual” to see if the lock width has changed (useful between Napton and Knowle, in particular)

4)     Set the target year using the large silver handle. (An Ouse key is preferable, but both mine are on the boat).

5)     Set the target date using the calendar device. As currently configured, the device is obviously set up for Tuesday 21st July 1925.

6)     Set the target time using the stop watch.

7)     Use the thermostat to estimate the temperature at the target date and time, and dress accordingly

?     Orient the boat correctly in the space time continuum, using the device that looks like a compass

9)     Use the wind gauge to assess the rate of flux in the space time continuum. Pay particular attention to gusts.

10)  The yellow safety knife can be used if knots are discovered in the space time continuum

11)  If the towpath is muddy, turn up the squelch knob on the radio

12)  Issue an alert using the air horn, and blow the whistle if there are likely to be greyhounds at the target location. You can use as many hoots as you like, as nobody knows what the international conventions are today, let alone in the last century.

13)  Press the PTT button on the radio. PTT stands for “Press to Teleport”

14)  Switch off, in the reverse order to step 1, and carefully disassemble and stow the components. Try to avoid the silver handle touching both battery posts at the same time.

15)  Use the clipboards (you can never have too many) to organise assorted navigational documents, and record where and when you have been.

16)  The flags may be useful for semaphore communication, if the battery runs down.

• Haha 2

A few days ago, I was distressed to find so few traditional Birmingham foods for vegetarians who don’t like curry, so I set out to find a recipe for vegetarian faggots. I was delighted to find many different versions online and spent some time in the galley making my own version. Fortunately, I belong to the school of cookery that believes “if I have half the ingredients the recipe will probably work!” - that was definitely the case today. 

As an aside, I failed to post any photographs of the Shrewsbury Cakes as the crew scoffed the lot before I got the camera sorted (well, it was a heavy locking day), so I knocked up a small batch so that I could show you what they look like - they are so easy to make. I can't offer you a taste because these were soon gone, but the smell from the oven was of toasting butter - delicious!

Shrewsbury Cakes

Recipe of the Day: Vegetarian Faggots

(makes four big faggots – all weights are very approximate!) 

150g celeriac, diced 
150g carrot, diced

50g leeks, halved lengthways and thinly sliced 
50g mushrooms (shitake and chestnut), finely chopped 
100g tinned chick peas with a little bit of juice 
150g dried breadcrumbs 
10g pine nuts 
10g pecan nuts 
Half of a small yellow (or red) bell pepper 

Small handful fresh parsley, chopped 
Four fresh sage leaves, chopped 
Large pinch of ground allspice 
Large pinch of ground mace 
Salt 
Freshly ground black pepper 
Sunflower oil for frying 

Method 

Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4 - 5 (around 180 degrees centigrade). Peel and dice the celeriac and carrots. Place them on a baking tray and drizzle over some veg oil. Season with some salt (you don't need much) and pepper. Roast in the oven until they’re soft - 30 minutes was plenty. 

If you have a blender/processor, whizz the nuts with the breadcrumbs – they don’t need to be too fine as the nuts give some texture. Put the crumb into a large mixing bowl. 

Chop the leeks, mushrooms and pepper finely (I used the blender).  Add put some vegetable oil to a small frying pan and heat gently; add the mace and allspice and toast gently for a minute then add the leek/mushroom/pepper mixture to the pan.  Cook for 5 – 10 minutes until soft. Remove from the heat and set aside.  

Remove the celeriac and carrot from the oven and set them aside to cool a little. If you have one, give the roasted vegetables and the chick peas a whizz in your blender (or use an old-fashioned masher). All the ingredients to crumb that you put aside in a bowl earlier and mix well (hands are best!) until you have thick sticky paste. 

Take a handfuls of mixture (I have small hands) and roll into balls. Shallow fry (I used a wok) until golden brown with a nice crust on the outside.  

Put a sheet of greaseproof paper on a baking tray, then place the faggots on the tray. Pop them in the oven (at 180 degrees C or gas mark 4), uncovered for 15 minutes while you make the onion gravy... 

Onion Gravy: 

Two small white onions – halved and sliced thinly 

20g-ish Butter/oil 

Tablespoon flour 

400ml vegetable stock (I used a knorr stock cube) 

A few drops of gravy browning 

Melt the butter/oil over a low heat and add the onions. Fry the onions gently until golden brown – this may take a few minutes.  

Add the flour to the onions and stir until it has absorbed the oil; allow to cook for a minute or so. 

Add the stock, stirring vigorously until it boils – don't worry if the gravy is a bit thin at this point 

Putting it all together...

Take the faggots out of the oven and transfer to a casserole dish. Pour the onion gravy over them and return to the oven for another 20 minutes. 

These were absolutely delicious!

Vegetarian Faggots

Bonus Recipe for Greyhounds and their pals: Liver Cake

I did have recipes for meat-based faggots too, but the greyhounds objected to wasting good offal on humans so I made liver cake for them instead: 

There are many, many versions of this popular houndie snack– here’s mine! 

500g lamb or chicken liver (raw or boiled – the pre-boiled liver makes a ‘softer’ cake – see below) 

3 eggs 

About 450g Self-raising Flour (or Plain Flour with 3 tsp of Baking Powder)

Milk to mix 

For a more luxurious version add 30g of philadelphia cheese. I like to add 30g of Garlic and Herb Boursi – that makes it smell even more attractive as a training aid. However, garlic is controversial – some say it’s fine, some say it’s not – if you’re worried don’t add it (generations of my hounds have been absolutely fine). 

Liquidise the liver in a blender and put in a mixing bowl with the 3 eggs – beat well; add flour until the mixture binds to a ‘soft dropping’ consistency (splats gently off a spoon); if the mixture become too thick then you can add a bit of milk to get the right consistency. The easiest method involves baking in a shallow cake tin (a 9″ round sponge tin works well) but I often make liver muffins (as shown below) ; bake at 180 degrees C for 40 minutes – depending on your oven, you may want to give it another 10 – 15 minutes if still seems ‘raw’ in the middle. 

Keep out of reach of greyhounds until cool - that's the hardest part of the recipe!

Liver Muffins

• Greenie 2

Gin of the Day  

Lytham Gin from Lancashire.

A wonderfully dry floral and fruity gin, made with ten carefully chosen botanicals. Flavours of juniper and orange have been enhanced with the infusion of pink roses, apricots and hibiscus flowers.

Lytham Gin

The Bentley Canal curves around the area of Willenhall. With such a rich industrial history, I wasn’t sure what to expect from the Geistersammler, even so, I was surprised when a fine gentleman appeared in the cabin. He was dressed in white breeches and a long-tailed coat; he wore an extravagant silk bow tie around the collar of a fine cotton shirt. As he saw me, he swept his tall hat from his head and bowed.

“Mr Harthill, Leader of the Board of Health at your service.”

“Welcome, what tales do you have to tell?”

Before he could draw breath, a wretched man staggered out of the Geistersammler. He collapsed at Mr Hartill’s feet, his grey face convulsed with pain as he clutched his belly. He was filthy and looked as if he should smell, but, as he was a ghost, we were spared the stench of his stained clothes.

“Water?” the wretch croaked, before convulsing again and vanishing back into the Geistersammler.

“Who was that?” I asked, shocked.

Mr Hartill shook his head sadly. “That was Joshua Morris, victim of the great cholera epidemic of 1849. Two hundred souls and more we lost to the bloody flux.  This what I and the Health Board vowed to prevent.”

“What did you do?”

“It came too fast.” He pointed to the busy industrial landscape that surrounded us. “The canal, the manufactories, the people. But where was the clean water, the sewers, the burial grounds? Nowhere, I tell you. That is what my Health Board built.”

“A Health Board built sewers? Wasn’t that the job of the council?”

“The Justices kept the peace, the parish managed the trade, but the cholera swept through like a fire. More was needed.”

“Did you succeed?”

“Look.” He smiled.

I looked around, the landscape looked bleak and hellish to my modern eyes, but he seemed so proud of what his board had achieved. As I mused on what health might mean to different societies and different times, another fine gentleman stepped out of the Geistersammler.

“Ah! My lady, may I introduce you to Mr. Farquhar, secretary to the Willenhall Literary Society.”

“Literary Society?” I looked blank.

“Yes, a most important institution.” Mr Farquhar explained. “We commissioned the library here in 1866 and championed schooling for the children. Our people had been too weak to study, but thanks to the Health Board, they became strong enough to learn. Thus our society grew and prospered.”

The men shook hands and turned to look over the valley below, their faces full of satisfaction at a job well done.

Their pride seemed out of place to my modern eyes, but then I remembered Joshua’s suffering – maybe these philanthropists had earned the right to a little self-congratulation…

http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/articles/Willenhall/LocalGovernment.htm 

• Greenie 2

On 06/05/2020 at 12:25, Scholar Gypsy said:

I've brought my sun compass, but that only works with sun. 

spacer.png

I've also used a tiltmeter, which could be useful this week. Here it is in use, when resting on the mud in the lock at Dartford.

spacer.png

That reminds me of the good old Suffolk term for something that isn't quite level - it is "slantendicular"

Day 5 Friday 8th May - Cruising Log of Augmented Reality Indigo Dream (ARID)

FROM

TO

MILES

LOCKS

TIME IN

TIME OUT

Tame Valley Junction

Toll End Junction

09:12:00

Toll End Junction

Danks South End

09:12:00

09:16:48

Danks South End

Danks North End

09:16:48

09:40:48

Danks North End

Danks South End

09:40:48

10:04:48

Danks South End

Haines Bridge Junction

10:04:48

10:09:36

Haines Junction

Haines Terminus

10:09:36

10:21:36

Haines Terminus

Haines Junction

10:21:36

10:33:36

Haines Bridge Junc

Ryders Green Junction

10:33:36

12:08:00

Ryders Green Junction

Swan Bridge Junction

12:08:00

12:32:00

Swan Bridge Junction

Balls Hill terminus

12:32:00

13:08:00

Balls Hill terminus

Swan Bridge Junction

13:08:00

13:44:00

Swan Bridge Junction

Ridgacre Branch terminus

13:44:00

14:08:00

Halford Junction

Halford Terminus

14:08:00

14:20:00

Halford Terminus

Halford Junction

14:20:00

14:32:00

Dartmouth Junction

Dartmouth terminus

14:32:00

14:44:00

Dartmouth Terminus

Dartmouth Junction

14:44:00

14:56:00

Ridgacre Branch terminus

Swan Bridge Junction

14:56:00

15:20:00

Swan Bridge Junction

Ryders Green Junction

15:20:00

15:44:00

Ryders Green Junction

Pudding Green Junction

15:44:00

15:56:00

Pudding Green Junction

Bromford Junction

15:56:00

16:08:00

Another historic day on every level - some canals on which we have our history, historic canals that no longer exist and a historic landmark - the end of World War 2 in Europe (an important distinction!).

In the present day, it was gloriously warm and sunny, though this report from the Birmingham Mail reports that 75 years ago "the skies over the city were filled with rain" :

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/nostalgia/ve-day-birmingham-what-happened-9199482

In doing some research on the day, I found this useful reminder in the archives of the Imperial War Museum:

"Not everyone celebrated VE Day. For those who had lost loved ones in the conflict, it was a time to reflect. Amidst the street parties and rejoicing, many people mourned the death of a friend or relative, or worried about those who were still serving overseas. For many of the widows the war had produced, the noise and jubilation as people celebrated VE Day was too much to bear and not something they could take part in. 

There was also an air of anti-climax. The hardships of the war years had taken their toll on many people and left them with little energy for rejoicing. In Britain, the strain of air raids, the strictures of wartime life and the impact of rationing all left their mark on a weary population who knew there were more difficulties yet to endure. "

But many thousands (or millions) celebrated, letting go of their fears and worries for a day:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/nostalgia/gallery/stunning-pictures-ve-day-celebrations-18165692 

As did many of today's boaters, displaying bunting and medals...

Ketura Bunting

VE Day MEdals