Team Indigo Dream Virtual BCN Challenge 2020 Cruise Log

Featured Posts

Sunday 3rd May – Introducing Team Indigo Dream 

In the real world, Indigo Dream is a 60’ narrowboat, currently languishing on the River Nene. She was launched in 2006 and this will be her sixth BCN Challenge. The first time she took part, in 2009, the crew was just playing, but then they got competitive! Indigo Dream came third three times (2011, 2014, 2017), before finally winning the BCN Challenge trophy in 2018 

This year, we are cruising in Augmented Reality Indigo Dream (ARID), whose capacious interior is large enough for her five human and three canine crew members to cruise while maintaining socially acceptable separation. As well as the official time machine attachment, ARID is also fitted with a Geistersammler (Ghost Collector), which will enable us to communicate with the spirits of BCN Past. 

It’s a dreary and overcast morning, the darling buds of May lie limp after a weekend of thunderstorms and heavy rain. But Indigo Dream’s crew is perky and upstanding, getting ready for the challenges ahead.  

Let me introduce them... 

Emily and Harmony travelling down from Lancashire. They were an intergral part of Indigo Dream’s winning team in 2018. They are both seasoned boaters, though Harmony is more familiar with the waterways around her northern home.  

Simon, of nb Scholar Gypsy is busy getting ARID’s equipment sorted. Simon’s boat , Scholar Gypsy, is at Ely in the Fens. He’s been canal boating for nearly 50 years, first visiting Birmingham in a tiny yogurt pot in 1974 (when the Elsan was christened, at Cambrian Wharf). As a member of St Pancras Cruising Club, he enjoys cadging a lift on boats that are visiting the Thames tideway. His route to Lichfield will be a circuitous one, involving as many modes of transport as possible.  This journey will be recorded on Scholar Gypsy’s blog, https://scholargypsy.org.uk/ 

Christine, of nb Ketura - currently locked down in Atherstone on the Coventry canal.  She will be travelling to meet ARID either on foot or by her pink Brompton, which was the secret weapon she used whilst crewing on Indigo Dream during two previous BCN Challenges, coming 3rd twice!  She’s been boating and living on board since 2004.  An active member of St Pancras Cruising Club, and cadged a lift with Simon on Scholar Gypsy to cross the Wash as her boat, Ketura, was in the wrong place! 

Sue, Richard with greyhounds Alex and Saffy, of nb Indigo Dream. Sue has been appointed skipper and, as she believes in leadership from behind, is allowing the crew to go their own sweet way before she assails them with a clipboard and a checklist later. Indigo Dream is renowned for her hospitality, so Sue has been responsible for preparing food for all of the crew. Richard is planner-in-chief, as an engineer, he’s got great spatial awareness to navigate the 4 dimensions of this virtual challenge! 

Fun Facts: The cumulative age of the crew is around 280 years - we are older than the BCN! We have around 100 years of boating experience between us! ? 

We'll update on our preparations later when I've sorted out how to get images uploaded - we're planning to start at Huddlesford Junction and there will be gin!

• Greenie 1
  • Love 2

Thanks to his meticulous planning, Simon has arrived at ARID and is busy with enging checks and installing gadgets...

Firstly, he is determined that we shoudl win the "cleanest bidlges in the business" award...

Simon 1

Inflating the life-jackets - these might save a life, but it that state they'd also do as comfy travel cushions...

Simon 4

Depth gauge deployed...

Simon 3

Meanwhile we reassured Christine that she only needed to pack essentials into her rucksack being as she was planning to travel to our starting point by bike...

Christine 1

The attitude of the crew is an all-important factor in the BCN Challenge - Harmony Greyhound is the only surviving member of 2018's triumphant team and is obviously ready to put int he effort to win again:

Harmony 1

I'm afraid Alex is simply not the right stuff...

IMG_5314

And it looks as if Saffy's already had her nose in Christine's rucksack!

Saffy 27~1

• Greenie 3

I have a bit of a weakness for safety gadgets. I used the time machine to find out about this one, advertised in the June Waterways World (though the URL was wrong). A throwing line with a cushion on the end that automatically inflates. If you are lucky.
spacer.png

https://ninefit.uk/products/throwraft-td2401-type-iv-inflatable-throwable-pfd-flotation-device-uscg-approved?_pos=1&_sid=15ad4a2cc&_ss=r

• Love 1

I should have added that the fuel tank is full and the toilet tank is empty - so those are two jobs we won't need to do again this week.

We did reassure the crew that the water tank was also full, but they remarked that they were "thirsty not dirty" and headed for the gin!

I think I've baked enough goodies to fuel the crew with calories but I'm not entirely sure - the boat oven is not that efficient so pre-preparing really good food is a must!

A crew needs fuel too

• Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, Indigo Dreamers said:

I should have added that the fuel tank is full and the toilet tank is empty - so those are two jobs we won't need to do again this week.

We did reassure the crew that the water tank was also full, but they remarked that they were "thirsty not dirty" and headed for the gin!

I think I've baked enough goodies to fuel the crew with calories but I'm not entirely sure - the boat oven is not that efficient so pre-preparing really good food is a must!

A crew needs fuel too

Bloody big windows on that boat innitt!!

19 hours ago, Indigo Dreamers said:

The attitude of the crew is an all-important factor in the BCN Challenge - Harmony Greyhound is the only surviving member of 2018's triumphant team and is obviously ready to put int he effort to win again:

Harmony 1

I'm afraid Alex is simply not the right stuff...

IMG_5314

And it looks as if Saffy's already had her nose in Christine's rucksack!

Saffy 27~1

I'm not convinced with your cruel treatment of greyhounds, poor Saffy forced to recline on a chair when everyone knows they require a full sofa with at least 6 cushions as a minimum!!

Day 1 Monday 4th May - Cruising Log Part 1

Cruising Log of Augmented Reality Indigo Dream (ARID) 

Section 

Miles 

Locks 

Time in 

Time out 

Huddlesford Junction to Ogley Junction 

Ogley Junction to Anglesey Basin & Return 

Ogley Junction to Catshill Junction via... 

Sandhills Arm (return) 

Catshill Junction to Gilpin’s Junction via... 

Slough Arm (return)* 

Note: we found a lock on this arm that was not on the scoresheet!

Overnight mooring at Gilpin’s Junction 

•  

Cruising Conditions 

As advised, today’s weather was unseasonably brisk, but ARID’s crew are followers of Fell walker, Alfred Wainwright who famously stated “There‘s no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing” therefore we were all equipped for the conditions. 

The crew are very grateful to the volunteers who helped at each of today’s locks, which meant that they could keep their hands warm in their pockets instead of clutching frozen windlasses.  The Ogley lock system uses 25,000 gallons of water each time a boat passes through so lucky for us that we’ve had a lot of rain recently so the Cannock Resevoir which feeds the Anglesey Branch and Wyrley and Essington is reasonably full! 

Sue & Harmony

Simon

Emily

Christine

Breaking ice is a noisy business...

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

Day 1 Monday 4th May - Cruising Log Part 1

Locations that we have visited today 

Lichfield Canal (Historic) 

Our starting point at Huddlesford Junction:

Huddlesford Junction

One of the Ogley Locks - it was in better condition when we travelled through it this morning using the time machine, though we were pleased that our horsepower was in the engine bay and we didn't have to manouvre a rope through that footbridge!

Ogley Lock

We had several opportunities today to use the time machine to compare the canal in 1920 to its state today, and also to look forward to 2030 when it was fully restored. As the restored route will be different to the original route, this had to be done with care, otherwise we could find ourselves in the middle of a road or railway embankment, or in someone’s living room.  

Sadly we were not able to transit the aqueduct over the M6 toll road, but we did briefly step off the boat and time travel to inspect it as it is today. We also took especial care with our time settings at pipehill bridge, where the route of the canal was altered when the Birmingham to Lichfield railway was built.  We paused for a swift pint at the Duke of Wellington in Lichfield,  as the restored route will no longer pass it. 

•  
  • Greenie 1

Day 1 Monday 4th May - Cruising Log Part 3

Wyrley and Essington 

We made our best attempts to follow the original Wyrley and Essington Bylaws “No boat shall go more slowly than 2mph or faster than 3mph, that each boat should have only one horse, and that boats going the same way shall follow in regular order without any attempt to pass or injure one another”. Sadly we were woefully over-horsed and ARID’s engine has 42! 

Ref. The Canals of the West Midlands, Charles Hadfield 1966 

The railway bridge near the entrance to the historic Slough Arm

Slough Railway Bridge

The entrance to the old Slough Arm is at the far left of this photo...

Slough Arm

Google Earth image of our overnight mooring spot - Gilpin's Junction:

Gilpin's Junction 2

•  

•  

Day 1 Monday 4th May - Cruising Log

Recipe of the Day: Welsh Rarebit

Heathens refer to Welsh Rarebit as “posh cheese on toast” - pah, what an insult. This version is rich and delicious, making use of the boater’s favourite ingredient – beer! 

Bread – preferably doorstop thickness 

25g butter 

200g Grated cheese – strong cheddar is a must, but I added some Swiss Gruyere (the king of cheeses) 

1 teaspoon of mild mustard 

1 teaspoon of Worcestershire Sauce (or use a small dollop of brown sauce) 

4 tablespoons of beer 

1 teaspoon of flour (if needed to thicken) 

Toast the bread on one side – while that’s happening, melt the butter in a saucepan (gentle heat), add the mustard, sauce and beer; mix thoroughly, add the cheese and stir until melted. 

Smear the melted cheese mixture over the untoasted side of the bread and grin until golden brown and bubbling. 

A bracing lunch for a cold, hungry crew! 

Welsh Rarebit

Day 1 Monday 4th May - Cruising Logof Augmented Reality Indigo Dream (ARID)

Gin of the Day: Tanqueray Flor de Sevilla

In honour of Candied Orange Peel Day today’s gin is Tanqueray Flor de Sevilla, a spiced citrus gin inspired by Charles Tanqerary’s visit to Seville, and its famous oranges. 

tanqueray-flor-de-sevilla-gin
  • Love 1

Day 1 Monday 4th May - Cruising Log of Augmented Reality Indigo Dream (ARID)

Tales from the Geistersammler (Ghost Collector)

Our unique gadget, the Geistersammler (Ghost Collector) brought us a few luminous guests this afternoon... 

“My name is Elias, may I warm my hands by your fire?” 

“Well, we don’t have a fire, but these radiators are warm.” 

“What strange device is a ra-dia-or?” 

“These metal panels, they give off heat. But can you feel heat, being of a ghostly nature?” 

“Ah, I cannot, in truth I could not when I was more vital, the leprosy made my hands numb, then my fingers withered most horribly.” 

“Oh, are you not from these parts? I thought leprosy was only found in far lands.” 

“Nay, leprosy blighted the fair town of Lichfield many years before my birth. Your fine boat just passed by the leper hospital, which abided there for a hundred years or more. Though the poor souls who resided there rarely lived for more than ten years. So it was when my soul left this earth in the year of our lord 1263.” 

“Oh, how awful.” 

“Aye, ‘twas as awful as awful may be, but I take comfort that I paid for my sins by enduring purgatory on earth. I now dwell in heaven.” 

“But you’re a ghost! You were caught in our Geistersammler!” 

“Nay, I was drawn to the souls in your strange device. I am an angel.” 

“That's lovely, but we wanted to talk to ghosts, find out more about the canal and its history.” 

Ah’ll tell you some history of this blasted canal and its thrice-cursed owners!” 

“Welcome, friend, please tell us your story...” 

“Thomas Johnson I be, ropemaker. Ye’d think I’d be a rich man, yet here I dwell with the ghosts of the workhouse.” 

“But the canal must have needed your ropes,” 

“Need, yes, pay, no! Tight-fisted misers that they are. I’ll tell you who does pay though! The hangman! The Lichfield gallows be busy enough, I would like as not have been hung by my own rope if the consumption hadn't choked me first.” 

“Oh, that’s a terrible story, but wait a moment, there’s another ghost arriving...” 

“Chewie, let’s get this bucket hooked up to the hyperdrive...” 

“Han Solo! What are you doing here, you’re not from Lichfield!” 

“I don’t ask questions kid. Hey you, tall guy, beard, you got Wookie skills?” 

“Uh...” 

“Never mind, I never seen a diesel hyperdrive before but here we go...” 

“May the fourth be with you” I muttered as I cut the link to the Geistersammler – that was more than enough ghosts for one day!  

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Indigo Dreamers said:

Sandhills Arm (return)   0.5 miles

Hmm, this was flagged as a potential source of confusion as they weren't listed "and return" but never properly clarified.

We've assumed that these sections are the listed for the distance in each direction, as that seemed to match the real distances most closely (not necessarily for these particular branches but for some of the others).

Edited by RebelMike

26 minutes ago, RebelMike said:

Hmm, this was flagged as a potential source of confusion as they weren't listed "and return" but never properly clarified.

We've assumed that these sections are the listed for the distance in each direction, as that seemed to match the real distances most closely (not necessarily for these particular branches but for some of the others).

We've gone with what was stated in the general rules "all dead end branches can be claimed for both the in and the out journeys"

1 minute ago, Indigo Dreamers said:

We've gone with what was stated in the general rules "all dead end branches can be claimed for both the in and the out journeys"

I interpreted that as meaning 0.5 miles each way, i.e. a total of 1 mile.  Ah, I see from your timings that you have too.  I'll shut up!

Day 2 Tuesday 5th May - Cruising Log of Augmented Reality Indigo Dream (ARID)

Section  

Miles  

Locks  

Time in 

Time out 

Gilpin’s Arm 

09:24 

W&E main line to Pelsall Junction 

09:24 

09:31 

Cannock Extension to Watling St & return 

09:31 

10:43 

W&E main line to Lord Hayes Junction 

10:43 

11:02 

Lord Hayes Branch 

11:02 

11:50 

W&E main line to Birchills  Junc 

11:50 

13:19 

Birchills Junc to Walsall Junc 

13:19 

14:23 

Walsall Junc to Basin and return 

14:23 

14:35 

Walsall Junc to Birchills Junc 

14:35 

15:39 

Birchills Junc to Sneyd Junc 

15:39 

16:15 

We had a peaceful night at Gilpin's Junction but were very glad of ARID's generous dimensions. After accusations of "greyhound abuse" on our opening post we had to quickly re-assign the sofa and human beds.  Sadly the inclement weather meant that we had to let Simon indoors, the meagre blanket that we'd left for him on deck being covered in yesterday's snow. Christine had the inflatable bed on the floor, where she found her legs pinned by 30kg of snoozing greyhound, but at least her feet were warm!

Alex on a 4' 6" double bed - he'd rather a king size but really, the clue's in the name Alex, narrowboat!

img_5264

Saffy now has a sofa...

Saffy Sofa

The morning started bright and breezy; the wind had a cold edge but at least the skies were blue - I'd say a 17 on the cyanometer which we are now using to gauge the weather. So we engaged the time machine and set off along the Gilpin Arm - more of that in the next post.

Cyanometer

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1