Team “Barnier's Stern Gland” Virtual BCN Challenge 2020 Cruise Log

Featured Posts

…....message starts 1042Z

!!Stop Press!!

Update on bote information.

Team “Barnier's Stern Gland

Barking news.

We are hearing that the bote naming ceremony for team Barnier's Stern Gland has just finished at an undisclosed location in the Birmingham area. The boats name is CLARRIE. The boat has had a major refit as per the recent press release and is looking resplendent in its dark navy paint finish with gold edging. No expense seems to have been spared in this upgrade and it really looks the part for challenge. A real Flagship by the looks of it.

Clarrie's owner, Laurie has just boarded the boat and was asked how he felt going into this years challenge with a big crew and the most technically advance boat on the system. “I'm a bit worried we may have to go into one of those 'lock things' this year” he advised. “My role is consultancy on the flat bits and we have a great, great team, you know, they are really good, two of them won last year you know, they did really, really well.” “ I think they have enough disinfectant on board for the whole week”.

So there you have it, Clarrie is all set to go. Counting down to the start now. The Captain and full crew are due on board later this afternoon and we hope to have an update before the end of the day.

…..message timed at 1040Z

…..message ends

34 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Is this the right time to tell you that its 12 years since I last  cruised in Birmingham? And I really like how well that widebeam looks in the centre when we revisited last year?

Wash your mouth out sir.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Is this the right time to tell you that its 12 years since I last  cruised in Birmingham? And I really like how well that widebeam looks in the centre when we revisited last year?

It's better when hidden away round the Icknield Port loop.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

You are worried, I am not officially in yet but last time we were cruising on the BCN it was on a Brumtug, how long ago people?

51 minutes ago, Sugar n spice said:

You are worried, I am not officially in yet but last time we were cruising on the BCN it was on a Brumtug, how long ago people?

Mid to late 80s I’d guess. I recognised what it was from the photo even if had been tipped on its side a la Plastic Pig.

If you get in you’ll have to use that as your virtual boat. Genuine BCN boats get bonus points. Well, they should in my view.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I’ll be providing a professional’s view on that as part of my narrative during the week.

I don't think you will see us coming with all the countermeasures on board.

16 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

@Postcode just asked me if we had ever met Roland, I said no, he said that'll be why then! 

Oh and solar panels are not much use if you get stuck in The Dudley Tunnel 

We have met. 

Stealth.

Clue you saved us from buying your current boat by buying it. We had a sister ship till  2004.

The meeting was at Alvecote has the ‘phenny’ dropped. 

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

I’ll be providing a professional’s view on that as part of my narrative during the week.

I have a picture of our boat.

its in black and white taken on our box camera, in 1987 on the way to the Pelsall rally. Just got to find it.

Just now, roland elsdon said:

Social distancing this cool day at the waterpoint. Door not painted since BW days. Who needs maintainance.

A4316002-A00D-453D-BA8F-03A6FC071A88.jpeg

EA3E7A2C-2DB6-4404-98C4-B7C701FEA547.jpeg

You have an anti-gravity machine as well as a time machine?

• Haha 1

…....message starts 1101Z

May 4th, 2020

!!Stop Press!!

Tamworth Herald

Barnier's stern gland leaking

Reports are coming in that there is a possible leak on the stern gland of the iconic 'superboat' Clarrie which was yesterday on the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal near Tamworth.

Clarrie is a state of the art Hampton canal boat brought up to date with a myriad of new technology, it really is a very, very nice boat, it really is. Yesterday at the official naming of the boat ceremony, a number of locals noticed what looked like small droplets of oil floating on the canal surface suggesting a possible leak from the stern gland. This isnt a problem of environmental pollution but a nervousness that the craft may have an inherent weakness so will not be able to complete in the upcoming Virtual BCN Challenge event, due to start this morning. Clarrie is odds on favourite to win the event and the bookies were even suggesting closing the betting on Clarrie as too much money is being wagered.

Our report was able to talk to a local, Mrs Elsie Dee, who said “This uns a reit grand boat like. Buggers a bit big for area thoo”

Reports also say that the boat disappeared mid afternoon yesterday and has not been seen since. We talked to the head of Clarrie's onshore technical support team, Mr T Biscuits who quashed suggestions of a leak and said the disappearance was because the surveillance countermeasures had been turned on so the boat was no longer easy to see. He did confirm though that his team had lost contact with the boat and restoring comms was their priority at this time.

We contacted the organiser of the Virtual BCN Challenge event, Ms Waitrose but she was asleep.

Further updates will be provided.

In other news, the number of new Covid 19 cases in Tamworth has increased to 4 over the weekend.

….....message timed at 1040Z

….....message ends.

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Social distancing this cool day at the waterpoint. Door not painted since BW days. Who needs maintainance.

A4316002-A00D-453D-BA8F-03A6FC071A88.jpeg

EA3E7A2C-2DB6-4404-98C4-B7C701FEA547.jpeg

Great photo, but it doesnt show the gold edging on the uniforms!

33 minutes ago, peterboat said:

An urgent job has come up at the garage, so I have "borrowed" the time and place machine to get it done, wont be long in fact I might be back before I have gone!!

You just cant get the crew these days, can you?

Hot Off The Press

The Kettlebrook Courier and Pigeon Fanciers Review

Latest Breaking news from our own correspondent.                                              
                                                                     Devine Inrod@KCPFR.

Local walker Marchin Alone telephoned me this morning from the scene of a strange barge sited near Fradley. As investigative reporter I tracked it down.

Complying with local self distancing rules I unicycled to the spot, and began interviewing one of the many crew members purposefully working on the vessel.

My intent was a video interview , but due to strange clicking noises emanating from the front bit, I have had to transcribe this detailed report.

Di “ ( to member of crew)  So I’m from the Kettlebrook Courier and Pigeon fanciers review, may I interview you please?”

Resp ( crew member).   “ Why?”

Di  “So , I can see that’s a hard question , how about your name? “

Resp “why?”

Di. “ So Well it makes things easier”

Resp “ only for you. You can call me Al.”

Di.”  So Great super ok . There’s a song there . Okay So Al why are you here?”

Al “What song?”

Di “ So Al it’s you can call me Al. Hang on , I so have to ask the questions so, Al why are you here”

Al “Are we speaking metaphysically or rhetorically ?”

Di “So that’s so okay Al, thank you , Tell you what I’ll come back and interview someone else tomorrow.?”

So there you so have it. That’s me done for today live reporting. 
Tomorrow I’m so going to track them down, and continue this fascinating insight into the happenings on the barges native to our local river.

So excited to catch up with up with you all tomorrow.   Ciao for now.

• Haha 3