paint behind wood burner

Featured Posts

Hello, I ve just joined as I need your help!!!!! Stupidly I put white tiles behind my wood burner about 10 years ago.......I know white!!!!! (younger days when I thought Id clean them regularly!!)

I need to paint the tiles so I don't have to clean them so regularily, what paint do you suggest? I can get tile paint but a little concerned about the heat from the fire? am I just being a woose, do I just use tile paint and be done with it? Its possibly about 2 inches away from fire at closest part..

If you use any paint at 2 inches away from the sort of heat it will quickly discolour and peel. I do agree that water based paints are crap. I try to avoid water based like the plague or in modern parlance covid 19. Hopefully, assuming we ever do fully get out of the EU, we can go back to using oil based paint although in the fairy, snowflake society we now live in that is highly unlikely. Personally I would retile it.

• Greenie 1

Have you thought about tiling over the existing tiles? Give the original tiles a good clean and stick the new ones on with  a general purpose silicon. Another layer will take up minimal space.Just a thought 

If you did the original tiling then why not take them off and re-tile?

We bought a boat that had not had tiles fitted (yet) and still hasn't because I can't make up my mind what I want that I know will still be what I want years hence :) 

2 hours ago, plato said:

Have you thought about tiling over the existing tiles? Give the original tiles a good clean and stick the new ones on with  a general purpose silicon. Another layer will take up minimal space.Just a thought 

Don't use general purpose silicone, use plumba flue, high temp silicone.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/geocel-trade-mate-plumber-flue-silicone-black-310ml/66373

Edited by blackrose

21 hours ago, David Mack said:

I'd be more concerned about what is behind the tiles. The tiles themselves may not be combustible, but if they are stuck onto wood, that is combustible, and the tiles will just conduct the heat straight through.

Yes if you're taking the white tiles off then at the very least you need to make sure you have a layer of heat resistant board behind the new tiles. There are lots on the market such as Masterboard or you could even look at decorative boards that you don't need to tile, although I suspect they aren't very hardwaring. 

http://www.dupreminerals.com/boards/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw17n1BRDEARIsAFDHFeziyR2WUq5SYpZ8h5s6Mc-nsfpEl3TBRU2z3ljn-6IkayPyKd_nNacaAvadEALw_wcB

As David suggests, here have been a number of boat fires which started as a result of charring of the wood behind tiles which hadn't been properly lined with heat resistant material.

On 01/05/2020 at 18:13, Rat Gar said:

Its possibly about 2 inches away from fire at closest part..

That in itself would worry me, but I suppose it depends o the stove, how hot it runs, and exactly which part of it is that close.

I very much hope it is well insulated behind the tiles.  Having taken down tiling on a previous boat that was morethan double that distance from the stove at any point, and found fairly charred plywood behind it, the kind of proximity you are quoting is worrying.

How hot does the surface of the tiling get?

Think carefully about changing to a darker colour, as the darker you go the less heat is likely to be reflected, and the hotter the tiling islikely to get, putting what is behind it at risk, unless there is very good insulation there.

This is never something to be gung-ho about, not that I am suggesing you are!), but people have died because they or their boat fitters have made bad decisions when installing soves.

15 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Don't use general purpose silicone, use plumba flue, high temp silicone.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/geocel-trade-mate-plumber-flue-silicone-black-310ml/66373

No need for high temperature silicone in that situation. For direct use to seal a flue yes definitely use high temperature silicone. 
I suggested over  tiling as removing the the existing ones can be a real ball ache and a messy job. Also if they are very well adhered you can destroy the backing board while trying to remove them. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, plato said:

2 minutes ago, plato said:

I suggested over  tiling as removing the the existing ones can be a real ball ache and a messy job. Also if they are very well adhered you can destroy the backing board while trying to remove them.

It's hard to know what advice is appropriate I think when we don't know the details, (including what stove, how hot current tiles are getting, and particularly what is behind them).

Whilst tiling over will, as you suggest, only reduce the separation from the stove by a small amount, the quoted 2" at the nearest point already sounds far to little for most normal circumstances.

I reiterate my fear that if you change from a white preselective tile to something dark, far more heat may well be transmitted into whatever is behind them.

Certainly when we changed white tiles on a previous boat to a "terracotta" type of shade the tiles were far far hotter to the touch when the stovew as being run than they previously had been.

15 minutes ago, plato said:

No need for high temperature silicone in that situation. For direct use to seal a flue yes definitely use high temperature silicone. 

Tiling over the existing tiles is fine if that's what the OP want's to do. I wasn't questioning that. But I disagree with you that high temperature silicone isn't required for sticking the tiles up behind a stove. The tiles behind a stove can easily get up to 200C or more so why wouldn't you use high temp silicone? 

Also you can use Plumba flue at the flue/deck (roof) joint you shouldn't really use it directly on the flue/stove joint. If you need a silicone sealant for the flue/stove joint use Envirograf 

https://envirograf.com/product/silicone-sealant/

Edited by blackrose

General purpose silicone is much more heat resistant than you think. 
I stuck my tiles with GP silicone to fire board 7 years ago and still absolutely fine. Also it’s much less costly than envirograph. 

1 hour ago, plato said:

General purpose silicone is much more heat resistant than you think. 

Possibly but it's definitely not as heat resistant as heat resistant silicone! 

General purpose silicone is unsuitable for temperatures above 150C.

https://www.everbuild.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/General-Purpose-Silicone-V2.2.pdf

1 hour ago, plato said:

I stuck my tiles with GP silicone to fire board 7 years ago and still absolutely fine. Also it’s much less costly than envirograph. 

But I never suggested using Envirograf for sticking the tiles up. Not sure where that came from? You need to re-read what I said. I suggested using Plumba flue which isn't that much more expensive than general purpose silicone. Also just because general purpose silicone worked in your case doesn't mean it will work in the OP's situation. Anyway, it's common sense that anyone thinking of sticking tiles up behind a stove using silicone is advised to use a heat resistant silicone. I won't bother to argue with you about it any further because you're clearly wrong.

Edited by blackrose

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

As David suggests, here have been a number of boat fires which started as a result of charring of the wood behind tiles which hadn't been properly lined with heat resistant material.

Read this:

https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/fire-on-narrow-boat-lindy-lou-at-lyme-view-marina-adlington-england-with-1-person-injured-and-loss-of-1-life