Brokers holding fees

Alan&sue

Featured Posts

Hello ? 

Once again we find ourselves boat-less  having sold our boat, just a couple of weeks before the lockdown. 
Which depending how you view things can be lucky or unlucky, but not having a crystal ball ? 

Which brings me to the subject of  how people feel about brokers asking for a £ 1000 deposit to hold boats subject to viewing, which is refundable when viewed If boats not what you wanted.

7 minutes ago, Alan&sue said:

Hello ? 

Once again we find ourselves boat-less  having sold our boat, just a couple of weeks before the lockdown. 
Which depending how you view things can be lucky or unlucky, but not having a crystal ball ? 

Which brings me to the subject of  how people feel about brokers asking for a £ 1000 deposit to hold boats subject to viewing, which is refundable when viewed If boats not what you wanted.

Sounds fair to me.

If they are 'holding it for you until you view' they are actually 'taking it off the market'.

It could be a couple of weeks before you visit and in that time they could have (maybe) sold it, but by taking it off the market, they are taking a risk that that other buyer will still be looking for a boat when you decide you don't want it.

What have you got to lose if it is fully refundable ?

39 minutes ago, Alan&sue said:

Hello ? 

IMHO - Totally fair - just read your other post if it a dodgy broker its likely to be a dodgy boat

Edited by Halsey

20 hours ago, notts_alan said:

Never had to pay a deposit to view any boat , think I would laugh if asked.

Once boat is viewed then i don't mind leaving a deposit subject to boat survey .

I suspect the issue is not about viewing as such - most house agents and boat brokers are pretty good at sorting out the tyre kickers - but with those who ask, "I like to view it but I'm looking at several others and cannot get there for a couple of weeks so please make sure that it is taken off the market in the meantime' - and then being a no-show.

• Greenie 1