Untidy for photos

manxmike

Featured Posts

Doing one of my usual lockdown pursuits of scanning the ads on Apollo Duck and I'm fascinated by the number of photos posted by, or on behalf of, owners of the interior of their boat in an untidy state.

Most seem to delight in leaving their clothes spread about in heaps all over the seating, dishes in the sink, bed unmade, sleeping bags crumpled on the settee, etc. Surely it would prove more attractive to clear everything away, lay the table, possibly a small vase of flowers, clean the kitchen and bathroom, make the bed even clean the bird poo off the windows.

Am I being a bit picky, or did my years in marketing leave a permanent scar?

1 hour ago, Pete7 said:

{Pretty standard for yachts too, people just give up, but then expect the full value of all the extras they have added over the years ?

When I bought my Cobra 850 back in the late 80s the mugs had been washed and left on the drainer. Everything else was just left (no clothes). According to the broker the previous owners had a dreadful trip and just walked away from the boat never to return. The amount of booze on board was impressive and well in date. It was amazingly well equipped for its class. The radar had 23 hours on the clock. I put in a ridiculously low offer (top end of my budget)  and they accepted it without question. No one was more surprised than me.

Having just bought a boat I have to say that, even with the very few advertised within my price range, I skipped over the ones where clearly, an effort wasn't made to present it well. If you can't be bothered to tidy before you advertise to sell, why would I believe you properly maintained the really important bits. Fools!

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

We went to look at a house for sale near here three years ago. Met the estate agent, opened door went in.

The look on her face was unreal, as she walked through a living room turned into three bed rooms, garage and garden shed converted into bedrooms. 2 cookers .

I estimated at least 9 people living there, probably more if they were hot bedding .

The curtains and carpets were filthy.

As we left I asked her if they had actually visited to get their pictures and valuation.

No course not the pictures were 5 years old and no one had been in since  signing the tenancy ... 

I imagine phoning the owner ws a bit embarrassing , but clearly she  had ambitions.

She phoned that night to see if we were interested. I made an offer on the spot 50% of asking price, empty.

Didnt get back to me!

We looked at a house, about forty odd years ago, from the outside it was great, inside, every door had a lock on it and a cooker installed. The Estate Agent continued insisting it was a family home, parents and two small children. When I pointed out the anomalies he glossed over them. Surprisingly we didn't bother putting in an offer - removing sitting tenants (even illegal ones) could be a problem even back then!

Ditchcrawler - I admire the way Estate Agents use a wide angle lens to make the rooms look even bigger

Edited by manxmike

18 hours ago, manxmike said:

Doing one of my usual lockdown pursuits of scanning the ads on Apollo Duck and I'm fascinated by the number of photos posted by, or on behalf of, owners of the interior of their boat in an untidy state.

Most seem to delight in leaving their clothes spread about in heaps all over the seating, dishes in the sink, bed unmade, sleeping bags crumpled on the settee, etc. Surely it would prove more attractive to clear everything away, lay the table, possibly a small vase of flowers, clean the kitchen and bathroom, make the bed even clean the bird poo off the windows.

Take a look around Whilton brokerage!

• Haha 1

About 20 years ago we were looking round boats at a well-known North West broker (who just gave you the keys and told you "it's over there".

The boat smelt like a wheely bin that hadn't been cleaned for weeks, complete with stubbed out fags in a half-filled saucer and mouldy food in a pan on the cooker.

The broker didn't seem to be unduly concerned.

31 minutes ago, dor said:

About 20 years ago we were looking round boats at a well-known North West broker (who just gave you the keys and told you "it's over there".

The boat smelt like a wheely bin that hadn't been cleaned for weeks, complete with stubbed out fags in a half-filled saucer and mouldy food in a pan on the cooker.

The broker didn't seem to be unduly concerned.

He had no reason to be: it's up to the owner, not the broker, to prepare the boat for sale. That said, a good broker would probably advise the owner about good presentation.

Come to think of it, car dealers wash the cars on their sales forecourt. I wonder why it's different with boats.

Edited by Athy

36 minutes ago, Athy said:

He had no reason to be: it's up to the owner, not the broker, to prepare the boat for sale. That said, a good broker would probably advise the owner about good presentation.

Come to think of it, car dealers wash the cars on their sales forecourt. I wonder why it's different with boats.

Boats are normally sold on "behalf of" ie on commission,  whereas second hand cars are usually dealer owned stock, are they not?

33 minutes ago, DandV said:

Boats are normally sold on "behalf of" ie on commission,  whereas second hand cars are usually dealer owned stock, are they not?

You may be right; but whoever owns an item, it's in the salesman's interest to present it in a condition which will appeal to prospective buyers.

Don't know about boats but most estate agents try to make the house look presentable, even ask the landlord/tentants to keep things tidy... they do try to hide the real size in the picture... 

however they are acting on behalf of the seller, so its expected.

One thing I cannot excuse is the smell, if you got dog, you got to make an effort to reduce the smell. 

23 hours ago, manxmike said:

No!  I totally agree.  I watch the boats and since we are about the sell our house and build a new one, we will need a camper/caravan to live in while we build and it is the same there. But it tells me a a lot about how they live and that they very likely did not do any maintenance to keep it up.

I worked in Real Estate for many years and the things I saw just dumbfounded me. I was always thinking you knew I was coming and you couldn't even clean up dirty clothes off the floor??