Victory inverter went bang !

Karl

Featured Posts

Whilst watching the tv the other night I heard a loud bang in the cupboard were the 3kw Victron is located. All looked fine until the next morning when I noticed the Webasto would not start as batteries were down to 12.44 volts on the digital meter. It now appears after some checks that the Victron works on shore power supplying 230v but the built in charger is not charging the batteries. Batteries will charge to a certain degree from two solar panels but mainly charging when starting the engine only. Of course this means I have to start the engine to charge batteries daily to get enough power in them overnight.  I’ve checked batteries are all ok but they are only a few months old anyway. All fuses and can’t find anything. All appears to be fine except the charging side f the Victron multi has broken. As it’s 10 years old is it the end of its life or can it be repaired or am I missing something ? As I said before,there was a loud bang and a flash from cupboard but no signs of any scorching or blowing of fuse. Victron lights work on the left but when disconnected from shoreline there is no power from Victron or panel lights on either side.

4 minutes ago, Karl said:

Whilst watching the tv the other night I heard a loud bang in the cupboard were the 3kw Victron is located. All looked fine until the next morning when I noticed the Webasto would not start as batteries were down to 12.44 volts on the digital meter. It now appears after some checks that the Victron works on shore power supplying 230v but the built in charger is not charging the batteries. Batteries will charge to a certain degree from two solar panels but mainly charging when starting the engine only. Of course this means I have to start the engine to charge batteries daily to get enough power in them overnight.  I’ve checked batteries are all ok but they are only a few months old anyway. All fuses and can’t find anything. All appears to be fine except the charging side f the Victron multi has broken. As it’s 10 years old is it the end of its life or can it be repaired or am I missing something ? As I said before,there was a loud bang and a flash from cupboard but no signs of any scorching or blowing of fuse. Victron lights work on the left but when disconnected from shoreline there is no power from Victron or panel lights on either side.

It is poor practice to have one piece of 'kit' that does two things, when one breaks and you send it away for repair, you lose the other.

In you case send it away for repair to the charger and you lose your inverter whilst it is away.

Most people in a similar situation 'forget' the charger, disconnect it and buy a new separate charger.

Retain and use the 'old' unit as an inverter only.

• Greenie 1

Just to clarify. Is this what is now happening:

Mains shore line connected > Mains available on the boat downstream of the Victron box, but no battery charging from the Victron box?

Mains shore line disconnected > No mains available on the boat downstream of the Victron box?

Victron multis and some inverter models have a changeover relay that disables the inverter when incoming shore mains, or generator output is connected to the input side and passes the incoming mains straight through. Some will also supplement the incoming mains with inverter generated power under very high loads.

It does sound like at least some aspects of you Victron combi are borked, but some bits, like the changeover relay are still working, or maybe the changeover relay is stuck!

Personally, I'd replace the broken bits with new separate items, rather than a new combi inverter/charger. If the inverter bit is still working, but the chrager isn't, then get a new mains battery charger. If both inverter and charger are broken, then get separate inverter and charger as @Alan de Enfield suggests. Much more versatile and fault tolerant. I've got a separate small modified sine wave inverter, installed when the Victron combi on my boat had problems. Unused, but there as a back up for if/when it happens again, or when the combi finally dies.

Jen

Yep basically your right. When on mains the green power late stays on and the amber light goes as far as absorption but won’t carry on to the final stage of float even after engine running for a couple of hours. When we do start engine the battery’s are getting a good charge of the alternator but can survive on those forever. I have a couple of solar panels on the roof which give some top up during the day but adding a separate charger I wouldn’t know where to start or how to set it up.

51 minutes ago, Boaty Jo said:

No expert but these Victroms have mega fuses inside the cover. Could that be it?

Loud bangs are generally terminal. It’s unlikely to be something simple.  

The repair procedure for Victron (or Mastervolt for that matter) equipment is slow and expensive, requiring return of the kit to the manufacturer.

At 10 years old it will probably be classed as ‘unrepairable’ by Victron who will then offer a discount against a new unit. 

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Loud bangs are generally terminal. It’s unlikely to be something simple.  

The repair procedure for Victron (or Mastervolt for that matter) equipment is slow and expensive, requiring return of the kit to the manufacturer.

At 10 years old it will probably be classed as ‘unrepairable’ by Victron who will then offer a discount against a new unit. 

My Victron charger went "POP" (rather than "BANG")

After opening it up and testing around inside and finding that the output voltage was something like 3 or 4 volts I called Victron UK, they said they could not diagnose it over the phone and would need to see it. Sent it off to Victron at a cost of, from memory, £30 (Address in Holland) and waited. And waited. And waited. I eventually contacted them to be told "it is broken, we can repair it and it will be about £600 + shipping at £75, or, they can just send it back at a cost of £75.

I told them to keep it.

I purchased another brand new Victron 50a charger for £291.67 from a dealer 'closing down sale'.

9 hours ago, Karl said:

but adding a separate charger I wouldn’t know where to start or how to set it up.

Have you ever connected a battery charger to a car battery ?

It is exactly the same principle.

Mount battery charger onto a bulkhead.

Connect the red (+) and Black (-) wires into the marked places on the battery charger outlet.

Connect the red cable to the battery + terminal

Connect the black cable to the battery - terminal

Plug the 3-pin plug into a mains socket

Robert is your mothers brother.

You will already have the battery (Red & Black) cables connecting your 'combi' to the battery, so simply disconnect those from the combi and fit them into the new battery charger.

DO NOT just buy a cheap battery charger from Halfords, (or ebay) you need to have a proper multi-stage battery charger suitable for marine continuous use.

Victron, Sterling or Mastervolt are the three main 'names' to look for. Expect to pay several £100's.

Here is one at £550 (£134 off RRP)

https://www.waveinn.com/nautical-fishing/victron-energy-phoenix-12-50/136985564/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=7725188&country=uk&gclid=Cj0KCQjwy6T1BRDXARIsAIqCTXoG33xh97SjtW0KKg2J-dYNkzK9e01uTQdXTsxMlDkOnGd36KAh5IUaArXjEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

What size is your battery bank ?

You could maybe 'get away' with a 20 amp or 30 amp charger (costing less than the 50 amp example)

3 hours ago, Boaty Jo said:

No expert but these Victroms have mega fuses inside the cover. Could that be it?

They do and it may be this. However, the OP doesn't sound happy with electrics and taking the cover off to check the fuse is one of those things where you need to have an idea of what you are doing. Mains voltages and big charged up capacitors inside, so touching the wrong thing is not a good move. Also, if the fuse blew, what caused it to blow? Could be another fault inside that melted the fuse and will still be there to blow the next one.Many hundreds of amps to blow the fuse in a 3kW combi.

Jen

From a conversation with OnBoard Energy last year there is now a repairer of Victron product in the UK.

There is also Sellweb in Tamworth who advertise Victron repairs but their main business is repair of industrial stuff so if busy the small stuff takes a back seat.

5 minutes ago, pearley said:

From a conversation with OnBoard Energy last year there is now a repairer of Victron product in the UK.

There is also Sellweb in Tamworth who advertise Victron repairs but their main business is repair of industrial stuff so if busy the small stuff takes a back seat.

If you put " victron repair uk " into Google, there are several companies who state that they repair Victron stuff.

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

If you put " victron repair uk " into Google, there are several companies who state that they repair Victron stuff.

That's what I found, but they then send it back to the manufacturer. From memory it was Sellweb I 'used'.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I had a Victron multi on the Barge for 15 years and it was installed in the engine room and was and still is as good as gold.

i know of people who have had them set on fire and in one case like yours a failure after a bang. This one went back to victron who paid for the collection and repair. They are generally very good kit but as said you are relying on one piece of kit to do 2 jobs. It makes the wiring simpler but it’s a good idea to have a standby charger especially if you are on shore power.

On 29/04/2020 at 20:24, Alan de Enfield said:

It is poor practice to have one piece of 'kit' that does two things, when one breaks and you send it away for repair, you lose the other.

I agree, but combis are what most people seem to have these days. I have separate charger and inverter but that doesn't have the "benefit" of seamless transition from shore power to inverter for example. It's another benefit of these systems that I don't want because if shore power trips you have no idea that your 1.25kW mains immersion heater is running from your batteries. I'm quite happy with my simpler manually switched systems.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

13 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I agree, but combis are what most people seem to have these days. I have separate charger and inverter but that doesn't have the "benefit" of seamless transition from shore power to inverter for example. It's another benefit of these systems that I don't want because if shore power trips you have no idea that your 1.25kW mains immersion heater is running from your batteries. I'm quite happy with my simpler manually switched systems.

I once (only once) having disconnected the shore-line departed the mooring and next morning found the domestic batteries were flat. I had not switched off the Immersion heater.

The departure / arrival checklist was reinstated post-haste. (There is no fuel cock so that's never an issue)

On / Off as required depending on circumstances

Engine/Toilet Sea Cocks

Radar Arch

Mains Lead

12v Master Switches

Immersion Heater

Battery Charger

Inverter

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I had not switched off the Immersion heater.

Or the inverter? 

I leave shore power and battery charger on when I leave the boat, but the inverter is left switched off. If I forget to switch the immersion heater off it's no problem but it's just a waste of money.

On 29/04/2020 at 20:18, Karl said:

IMHO - Contact Kevin at Springwood Haven/Onboard Energy best in the business and honest advice given - if replacement needed prices are very keen - if you are nearby they can fit and check - a good investment all round - they have checked over/updated my last 3 boat purchases and I can't recommend them highly enough.

1 minute ago, Halsey said:

IMHO - Contact Kevin at Springwood Haven/Onboard Energy best in the business and honest advice given - if replacement needed prices are very keen - if you are nearby they can fit and check - a good investment all round - they have checked over/updated my last 3 boat purchases and I can't recommend them highly enough.

Yep, Kevin's a good guy, but don't forget that they're Victron dealers so he's always more likely to suggest purchasing a replacement over repairing the existing.

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Or the inverter? 

I leave shore power and battery charger on when I leave the boat, but the inverter is left switched off. If I forget to switch the immersion heater off it's no problem but it's just a waste of money.

No, I needed the inverter on for the Freezer.

Just now, WotEver said:

Yep, Kevin's a good guy, but don't forget that they're Victron dealers so he's always more likely to suggest purchasing a replacement over repairing the existing.

Accepted but I've always found them fair as they invest in you coming back not ripping you off and saying good-bye

39 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Victron Multis have a dedicated immersion AC circuit that disconnects when the shore power trips

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

once (only once) having disconnected the shore-line departed the mooring and next morning found the domestic batteries were flat. I had not switched off the Immersion heater.

On all of my boats the immersion will only run when the shoreline is connected and live, so even if I forget there is no chance of it flattening batteries. Same goes for winter heaters that are still there and connected :( solar will take care of batteries when shore power runs out ;)