Day boat from Trevor, how far can you travel?

AllanD

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, AllanD said:

Hoping to get a day boat hire from Trevor in September and just wondering how far in both directions is feasible for the day. 

Either Llangollen one way or the lion quays the other, it is possible to make it to the new martin top lock but as you can't turn around there its pointless 

4 minutes ago, AllanD said:

Thank you, it was in mid 70's when I was last on the Llangollen and my perception of distances is a bit rusty. 

No problem, it's about 2 to 3 hrs to Llan the journey back is shorter because you are going with the flow, similar to the lion quays but the return is against the flow.

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:
2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

No problem, it's about 2 to 3 hrs to Llan the journey back is shorter because you are going with the flow, similar to the lion quays but the return is against the flow.

I had forgotten about the flow of the canal. How much time would it take to get back from Lion Quays? 

1 minute ago, AllanD said:

If I remember right about 2 to 3 hrs, it does depend on traffic through the tunnels and aqueduct, Chirk tunnel is really really slow against the flow, it is a more interesting route for the architecture but the Llan route is beautiful for the views and of course Llan is worth a visit anyway.

4 hours ago, AllanD said:

Hoping to get a day boat hire from Trevor in September and just wondering how far in both directions is feasible for the day. 

I would aim for the Poachers pub (there is a winding hole just past the pub). 

As Tree Monkey says you need to allow for queues at the aqueducts and tunnels so I would leave yourself 4 hours sailing time each way.

If you are back early you could carry on towards Llangollen for a while and then return to the hire base.

7 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

I would aim for the Poachers pub (there is a winding hole just past the pub). 

As Tree Monkey says you need to allow for queues at the aqueducts and tunnels so I would leave yourself 4 hours sailing time each way.

If you are back early you could carry on towards Llangollen for a while and then return to the hire base.

Thank you for this. At the moment is all very much up in the air but it gives me something to think about just now. 

On 28/04/2020 at 20:18, AllanD said:

Thank you for this. At the moment is all very much up in the air but it gives me something to think about just now. 

Yup! That's the aqueduct for you!

?

march03045.jpg

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

I've been over it many times over the years, but it is always a thrill.

Almost got strangled by my hat once when crossing on a windy day.

It is the nearest you can get to flying in a narrowboat! ?

Just now, cuthound said:

Seldom wear a hat with a chin strap. 

Note to self, wear my oldest cheapest hat and accept that it is disposable. 

18 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Lost one of mine to the wind on the Trevor side turning onto the aqueduct 

15 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Lost one of mine to the wind on the Trevor side turning onto the aqueduct 

Yes that was where my Tilley hat (with chin and rear straps deployed) tried to strangle me. There was a strong updraft which tried to physically lift me up! ?

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Pete7 said:

Strangely I seem to have moved to the starboard side of the boat whilst we crossed that aqueduct, oh and Mrs 7 went and hid for a while.

Pete

IMG_0150.JPG

I understand your reaction but I've been over so often I became very casual in the end, still loved going over

1 hour ago, Pete7 said:

Strangely I seem to have moved to the starboard side of the boat whilst we crossed that aqueduct, oh and Mrs 7 went and hid for a while.

Pete

IMG_0150.JPG

On one trip I stepped off and walked along the towpath alongside the boat, leaving it to steer itself.

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Worth doing that when there is loads of tourists just to see their reactions

Quite funny to see the reactions, it's not as if it can go anywhere other than straight ahead.