Rochdale Canal at Mytholmroyd

David Mack

Featured Posts

The White Lee culvert under the Rochdale Canal at Mytholmroyd failed during the floods in February. Repairs started before the lockdown and CRT announced that the canal would reopen at the end of April.

Today I received 3 update emails from CRT:

At 10.19: "Navigation: Closed, Towpath: Open. Repairs are still ongoing at the White Lee Clough culvert. Due to this, this section is still closed to navigation until repairs have been carried out."

At 15.29: "Navigation: Open, Towpath: Closed. The works to the culvert have been completed."

At 15.56: "Navigation: Closed, Towpath: Open. The White Lee Clough Culvert has been repaired. The pound between Lock 6 and Lock 7 requires dredging, so the navigation remains closed."

A phrase involving the left hand and the right hand comes to mind!

13 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The White Lee culvert under the Rochdale Canal at Mytholmroyd failed during the floods in February. Repairs started before the lockdown and CRT announced that the canal would reopen at the end of April.

Today I received 3 update emails from CRT:

At 10.19: "Navigation: Closed, Towpath: Open. Repairs are still ongoing at the White Lee Clough culvert. Due to this, this section is still closed to navigation until repairs have been carried out."

At 15.29: "Navigation: Open, Towpath: Closed. The works to the culvert have been completed."

At 15.56: "Navigation: Closed, Towpath: Open. The White Lee Clough Culvert has been repaired. The pound between Lock 6 and Lock 7 requires dredging, so the navigation remains closed."

A phrase involving the left hand and the right hand comes to mind!

Yup, I just got those too, and I notice that the chains have now been taken off the lock in Mytholmroyd. We were down there yesterday deciding if the pound was navigable, it looks like a shallower boat might just get through but it does need dredging, but its all academic just now anyway, and it looks like a fallen tree is blocking the navigation a little way upstream, no mention of that.

.................Dave

• 2 weeks later...