WHEN'S IT ALL GONNA OPEN??

Featured Posts

So just been ont vid fone jobby with son who runs a big usualy busy pub owned by a brewery with plenty of money behind them. They are already making preperations for lifting of some restrictions. The brewery obviously are in contact through their legal team with the government getting some feedback as to what may happen. In preperation they have removed some tables, put up perspex screens, removed all bar seating and adding soon further large umbrella jobbies in their garden. They have plans that cover opening with segregated areas and anticipate there will be no one served at the bar and all tables will be table service. Lots of other measures are ready to be introduced also. Removal of menus etc and more blackboards and one use disposable menus, rubbish bins and cleaning stations, single serve naff sauces like they use in naff places but now a needs must  etc etc etc etc.................its gonna be bloody awful I reckon!! but better than being closed.

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

So just been ont vid fone jobby with son who runs a big usualy busy pub owned by a brewery with plenty of money behind them. They are already making preperations for lifting of some restrictions. The brewery obviously are in contact through their legal team with the government getting some feedback as to what may happen. In preperation they have removed some tables, put up perspex screens, removed all bar seating and adding soon further large umbrella jobbies in their garden. They have plans that cover opening with segregated areas and anticipate there will be no one served at the bar and all tables will be table service. Lots of other measures are ready to be introduced also. Removal of menus etc and more blackboards and one use disposable menus, rubbish bins and cleaning stations, single serve naff sauces like they use in naff places but now a needs must  etc etc etc etc.................its gonna be bloody awful I reckon!! but better than being closed.

Sounds all too American for me

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If it gets the pubs open, I'm in.

4 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Sounds all too American for me

I agree, it will be the death of our pub culture but...............

3 minutes ago, Rickent said:

If it gets the pubs open, I'm in.

I also agree with this.............

39 minutes ago, Athy said:

When they've been told fifteen times a day on telly (and, for all I know, on radio and in the papers) for the past month or more? That is hard to believe.

Is it?

I assume you don't shop, or you would see couples shopping together [ that is one person not staying at home].

I see a boater up here most days, playing with his yogurt pot. [clearly contravening The Rules].

I go the the Co-op for top up shopping and firelighters, I wear my safety glasses, my cycling helmet, PM 2.5 mask, waterproof jacket, clean gloves,  take my own "basket", wipe all goods with paper and sanitiser [supplied by Co-op], use the automated checkout, which, I have to clean first [the staff don't ever seem to clean it], then I can go home, dump jacket and mask outside, wash my hands, and am pretty sure I have not taken the bug with me.

If I think I have been exposed, I shower and change all my clothes. I realise all that is extreme, but I have the time to do it, so no harm is done. I have anti-viral foam from my first aid kit, which I can take with me on my "exercise outings" I am taking more precautions than when I worked on Foot and Mouth, and you remember how  bad the last outbreak was, the result was proper identification of beasts of the field, and travel records. Technology has now afforded us with the ability to track contacts, but there will not be a 100% uptake.

Edited by LadyG

6 hours ago, Rambling Boater said:

A Negative test result doesn't just indicate there is no current infection, it also indicates someone who has had the virus and already built up immunity (if my understanding is correct?).

The problem is that there is no way to work out which without also taking the antibody test.

It “indicates” that the test was negative, so no current infection - no more, no less.

Obviously, you can extrapolate things as much as you like if it makes you feel better.

5 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

It “indicates” that the test was negative, so no current infection detected no more, no less.

Fixed that for you.

There was a highly infectious coughing bug here just before Christmas, it did not have the other symptoms, sharp cough/temperature, but lots of people  round here decided that it was the C-19, I think it highly unlikely.

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Fixed that for you.

There was a highly infectious coughing bug here just before Christmas, it did not have the other symptoms, sharp cough/temperature, but lots of people  round here decided that it was the C-19, I think it highly unlikely.

I was going to add something about false negatives, but didn’t think it necessary, in the context.

Anyway, you are correct. Given that any test might be a false negative, it doesn’t even give certainty that that there is no infection, never mind the extrapolation to antibodies, (maybe).

33 minutes ago, Athy said:

When they've been told fifteen times a day on telly (and, for all I know, on radio and in the papers) for the past month or more? That is hard to believe.

I think that the deluge of advertising in general hasn't helped "public service messages" by inadvertantly training people to be good at ignoring what doesn't interest them.  For example I sometimes get irritated by excessive repetition of particular TV adverts, but when asked couldn't tell what it was they were trying to sell me.

4 minutes ago, peter n said:

I think that the deluge of advertising in general hasn't helped "public service messages" by inadvertantly training people to be good at ignoring what doesn't interest them.  For example I sometimes get irritated by excessive repetition of particular TV adverts, but when asked couldn't tell what it was they were trying to sell me.

I think it goes further than than, I think it is the good old British attitude of "I can get away with it" aka "the rules don't apply in this instance"

I would assume that advertisers only repeat the message if it is resulting in sales, i must admit, i am influenced slightly, in that I would buy high cost, hi-tech goods if I knew the brand, but not otherwise.

Don't start me about PopTarts!

Edited by LadyG

7 hours ago, Rambling Boater said:

A Negative test result doesn't just indicate there is no current infection, it also indicates someone who has had the virus and already built up immunity (if my understanding is correct?).

The test method is only about 65% - 70% reliable. That's a huge margin of error, and the fact remains that not nearly enough tests have been done for any meaningful conclusions to be drawn. Yet.

34 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I agree, it will be the death of our pub culture but...............

Hopefully just a "coma" from which we will eventually recover ...........mind you if it stops kids running around me out of control I'm in!

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, churchward said:

Is there a little dark cloud that follows you around?

No, I'm fundamentally an optimist, but I also know the difference between good evidence and bad (ie non-) evidence. Wishing things were better does not make them so.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Is it?

I see a boater up here most days, playing with his yogurt pot. [clearly contravening The Rules].

Perhaps, but that is not relevant to your previous statement. You are confusing "do not understand" with "understand, but do not do".

Edited by Athy

11 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Hopefully just a "coma" from which we will eventually recover ...........mind you if it stops kids running around me out of control I'm in!

A lot of pubs have beer gardens, and could probably work out  relaxed social serving, but the trouble is, a lot of them don't. Children could be taken to play parks, rather than converting pubs in to family friendly places. If schools are not going to spread disease [seems unlikely], then neither would parks/nature reserves, provided adults maintained soclial distancing. 

Edited by LadyG

30 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Some people think the rules don't apply and can go out anyway.

https://m.facebook.com/ThamesAlive/photos/a.618094064947782/2899572663466566/?type=3&source=57

an I understand it was not on an essential journey.

And now rescued, demonstrating why we are not supposed to be boating 

https://twitter.com/WaltonFire/status/1256989748637454337/photo/2

27 minutes ago, Athy said:

Isn't that a model?

No

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I think it goes further than than, I think it is the good old British attitude of "I can get away with it" aka "the rules don't apply in this instance"

That's the one!

"It's safe because it's only me, some people are just rules obsessed fascists blah blah blah".

The whole thing is only about them and everyone else is isolating so's the self selected exceptions don't have to.

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

Will those 40,000 get counted again when they do the test.

Apparently not, they only count the tests once, at least that is what was said on a recent radio interview, sorry I can't remember who was being interviewed but it was a government minister. 

We have all been scared by the media into beliving the virus is a death sentence whatever age or gender you are. We have had approaching 30k deaths to reinforce this view.  We have had almost 200,000 hospital admissions, it is estimated only one in 10 or 20 need hospitalisation, so a few million people have had this disease, over 99 percent of these victims are still alive.

Most deaths are male and elderly with other problems.

18 minutes ago, Detling said:

We have all been scared by the media into beliving the virus is a death sentence whatever age or gender you are. We have had approaching 30k deaths to reinforce this view.  We have had almost 200,000 hospital admissions, it is estimated only one in 10 or 20 need hospitalisation, so a few million people have had this disease, over 99 percent of these victims are still alive.

That's OK then, it's obviously fake news ..............

I am female, and don't consider myself elderly, so why worry?

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

That's OK then, it's obviously fake news ..............

I am female, and don't consider myself elderly, so why worry?

I know this does not apply to you, but isn't the idea of lockdown/self isolation to protect others rather than necessarily yourself? Asymptomatic and immune aren't the same thing!

I know it's also about making sure the NHS can cope, and the political point about ten years of underfunding has been made many times, but unless we all keep looking out for each other over the next few months we are royally screwed.    

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

I know this does not apply to you, but isn't the idea of lockdown/self isolation to protect others rather than necessarily yourself? Asymptomatic and immune aren't the same thing!

I know it's also about making sure the NHS can cope, and the political point about ten years of underfunding has been made many times, but unless we all keep looking out for each other over the next few months we are royally screwed.    

You are undoubtedly correct but I think Lady G's post was a somewhat sarcastic rebuttal of this....

1 hour ago, Detling said:

Which seems to imply that the risks are overblown unless you are "male and elderly with other problems."

Personally I am cowering behind locked doors precisely because I am not protected by others around me in close proximity who are simply ignoring the situation and treating it as a holiday.