WHEN'S IT ALL GONNA OPEN??

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, forestforestforest1 said:

So, we've booked a little trip up the Llangollen Canal at the end of July. 

Do you reckon we'll be going? I certainly think we'll be eating and drinking on the boat and not in pubs....but will we even be allowed to travel!?!?!!?!?!

You'll be working under Welsh rules rather than English rules, and, Wales has actually recently strengthened the laws due to 'the English' keeping coming to the coast and mountains, and not maintain separation etc.

My boat is over in Wales and I don't expect to be cruising before 1st August.

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, forestforestforest1 said:

Do you reckon we'll be going? I certainly think we'll be eating and drinking on the boat and not in pubs....but will we even be allowed to travel!?!?!!?!?!

Yes.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You'll be working under Welsh rules rather than English rules, and, Wales has actually recently strengthened the laws due to 'the English' keeping coming to the coast and mountains, and not maintain separation etc.

My boat is over in Wales and I don't expect to be cruising before 1st August.

we were borrowing a boat in July and doing the Llangollen and I am under no illusions that we wont be going on that holiday! But fingers crossed that I am wrong

• Greenie 1

The weather is perfect at the mo. No April showers. 100% sun.

This of course will end with continous biblical scaled rainfall for months. At that time we will be released.

Edited by mark99
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mark99 said:

This of course will end with continous biblical scaled rainfall for months. At that time we will be released.

This is of course true. I reckon we should start a betting poll charging a tenner each for best guesstimate as to boating date again and donate the tenners to some agreed charity?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, forestforestforest1 said:

we're booked with Anglo-Welsh...I wonder if it's worth moving to one of their bases in England?!?!

Yes. The Thames Oxford to Lechlade for instance knocks the Llangollen into a cocked hat. The Llangollen is much overrated and is a pain in the arse in the summer. 

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes. The Thames Oxford to Lechlade for instance knocks the Llangollen into a cocked hat. The Llangollen is much overrated and is a pain in the arse in the summer. 

It's a strange one Tim  I can remember the Llangollen  but not Oxford to Lechlade, I am sure you are right but I just can't picture it

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

This is of course true. I reckon we should start a betting poll charging a tenner each for best guesstimate as to boating date again and donate the tenners to some agreed charity?

You mean 'MrSmelly Beer Fund' we never rise enough money to match rate of pints drunk.

• Haha 1

The natives are beginning to get restless in local Midlands towns, hardware stores reopening fully, takeaways all reopening, pubs doing meal takeaways. When I've  been to our local food shops, everyone has kept distance very well and its felt a more comfortable experience.

If you asked me, the country will all be going back to work, building, engineering and shops will all be back after VE day (8thMay) with restrictions in stores on space. Holidays will start at the end of the may. But the catering trade, pubs, cafes, b+b  breakfasts/ meals will not be allowed due to time exposure sitting down together.  Pubs/ cafes in my book will be Start of July.

Edited by Karen Lea Rainey
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 2

1 minute ago, Karen Lea Rainey said:

The natives are beginning to get restless in local Midlands towns, hardware stores reopening fully, takeaways all reopening, pubs doing meal takeaways. When I've  been to our local food shops, everyone has kept distance very well and its felt a more comfortable experience.

If you asked me, the country will all be going back to work, building, engineering and shops will all be back after VE day (8thMay) with restrictions in stores on space. Holidays will start at the end of the month. But the catering trade, pubs, cafes, b+b  breakfasts/ meals will not be allowed due to time exposure sitting down together.  Pubs/ cafes in my book will be Start of July.

I hope you are right but time will tell if you are right or not 

3 hours ago, forestforestforest1 said:

I hope so but it is anyone's guess just now.

35 minutes ago, Karen Lea Rainey said:

The natives are beginning to get restless in local Midlands towns, hardware stores reopening fully, takeaways all reopening, pubs doing meal takeaways.

None of these businesses were required to close when we were locked down, and I understand that planning permission for restaurant businesses to sell takeaways has been permitted.

If they chose to close down, they may well have discovered that there is still a market, that they need to open to collect some money, and have done so.

The businesses that have been required to close by the law, will not be opening until the government change the law to allow them to. I'm not sure restlessness will be a defence?

• Greenie 1

I think Peer pressure from other MPs are beginning to demand an action plan to recover economically as a country.

I agree that it will obviously come down to Boris, in the last 3 weeks we seem to have everybody connected with the cobra meetings, presenting the same information on a daily basis. The only one with any clout is Rishi Sunak. Viewing other countries plans is making everyone restless, give Boris a week and he will be singing the same hymn.

Unfortunately, there will be a small proportion of patients that will be considered as being a sad loss, but can be contained within the expected loss of deaths from this horrendous disease.

I still think, Businesses  all open by 11th May, with the exception of restaurants, pubs, etc, oh and no social gatherings, house parties, which includes sporting events, football, rugby, cricket, racing, concerts, even aeroplanes etc until August at the earliest.

Edited by Karen Lea Rainey

1 hour ago, Karen Lea Rainey said:

I think Peer pressure from other MPs are beginning to demand an action plan to recover economically as a country.

I agree that it will obviously come down to Boris, in the last 3 weeks we seem to have everybody connected with the cobra meetings, presenting the same information on a daily basis. The only one with any clout is Rishi Sunak. Viewing other countries plans is making everyone restless, give Boris a week and he will be singing the same hymn.

Unfortunately, there will be a small proportion of patients that will be considered as being a sad loss, but can be contained within the expected loss of deaths from this horrendous disease.

I still think, Businesses  all open by 11th May, with the exception of restaurants, pubs, etc, oh and no social gatherings, house parties, which includes sporting events, football, rugby, cricket, racing, concerts, even aeroplanes etc until August at the earliest.

I'll have a pint of whatever you've been drinking.....

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mark99 said:

Its ended here now.......

11 hours ago, forestforestforest1 said:

we're booked with Anglo-Welsh...I wonder if it's worth moving to one of their bases in England?!?!

You might well be better off doing that - the Welsh will want to keep everyone out as much as they can and the legislative backdrop is different - I would change.................

IMHO there are loads better (and quieter) canals than the Llangollen anyway - Leek and Caldon - Mac?????

11 hours ago, forestforestforest1 said:

Can’t see wales allowing second home use for some time.  I was going to say you are OK on the Llangollen as far as Chirk, but then remember that it dips into Wales by a few hundred yards in a couple of places before that.

Why don’t you switch to Anglo Welsh at Bunbury, if Wales allow it you could still go to Llangollen and back in a hire week, otherwise you can just stay in England.

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Can’t see wales allowing second home use for some time.  I was going to say you are OK on the Llangollen as far as Chirk, but then remember that it dips into Wales by a few hundred yards in a couple of places before that.

Come home to a warm fire, buy a cottage in Wales

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Karen Lea Rainey said:

I also think things will start to open up but not ALL businesses by 11th May. Lots of shops should be open and maybe most by the end of May. I think you are wrong about sport though! There are talking about the footy starting on 9th June ( behind closed doors). I think that will happen before August.

I am more interested in when we can see our families again?

I guess boating can start again as soon as they relax the 'you can only leave the house for exercise rule' which may or may not be anytime soon.- but there will be pressure on this if everyone can go to work or shopping. 

A new Cambridge University study has suggested 275 measures society could take to tackle the spread of coronavirus after the lockdown is lifted.

As mass vaccination is not likely before the second half of 2021, the lifting of existing lockdown measures should be combined with other measures to ensure there isn't a rise in coronavirus infections, the study suggests.

Here are just some of the measures that have been proposed:

Physical isolation

• Physical contact with people outside of the household or listed 'bubble' of friends - including handshaking, kissing or hugging - could be banned or prohibited.
  • Where possible, working from home could continue.
  • Companies could be fined for encouraging or forcing non-essential workers to go into work.
  • 'Virtual schools' could be created to enable continued education.
  • The government could limit the distance people can move from the house (e.g. within 100–200 m when walking dogs adopted in Italy and France).
  • A curfew could be imposed in order to prevent people from leaving their homes outside of certain hours.
  • Transport services could be removed or reduced so essential journeys are reduced.
  • Workers could be banned from going out to buy lunch.
  • People’s ability to buy non-essential or luxury items could be restricted, including removing them from stock, limiting their availability or preventing people from only buying them, while noting that what is ‘non-essential’ will vary from group to group.
  • A booking system to allow people to book time slots in shared spaces such as shops and canteens could be introduced.
  • The open access right to private land could be expanded to reduce crowding in parks.
  • Walking clockwise around shared spaces could be normalised

Reducing transmission through contaminated items

• Objects touched by multiple individuals (water dispensers, public seating, magazines in aircraft) could be reviewed or removed if they are considered inessential.

• Fees for minimum payment for contactless could be removed to encourage use.

• The use of drones and driverless vehicles for delivery purposes could be increased.

• At petrol stations, a member of staff could be recruited to refuel cars to prevent multiple handling ofl pumps. With payment through a phone app, all could be achieved without leaving the car.

Enhancing cleaning and hygiene

• Automatic hand sanitiser dispensers could be introduced on entry and exit of supermarkets, public transport and other areas of potential contamination
  • Outdoor spaces and vehicles could be sprayed with disinfectant from drones or aircraft.

You can read the full list of suggestions here.

Edited by nbfiresprite

11 hours ago, Karen Lea Rainey said:

If you asked me, the country will all be going back to work, building, engineering and shops will all be back after VE day (8thMay) with restrictions in stores on space. Holidays will start at the end of the may. But the catering trade, pubs, cafes, b+b  breakfasts/ meals will not be allowed due to time exposure sitting down together.  Pubs/ cafes in my book will be Start of July.

I wish that I shared your optimism!

However, I rather suspect that there will be a much longer game played here.

Realistically, with the natives getting restless and lockdown fatigue, there will need to be some movement at the next 3-weekly review. It may well be a small movement.

One of the issues that the government has to handle is that we are not an authoritarian regime, and that they largely steer the country rather than drive it. Notwithstanding the media reports of people breaching lockdown, compliance has been FAR greater than they expected. That greater compliance is probably due to waiting for a few days longer at the start, so that when they announced it those whose lives were to be affected were begging to be locked down, rather than resenting it.

Not only has compliance been well over the target, but there has been a large degree of public pressure to go beyond the rules, and a woeful lack of understanding of what the rules are. This has resulted in many businesses that were allowed to stay open closing because the PR impact of staying open was a bigger threat.

So, I would expect that 11th May could see the re-opening of non-essential shops, but NOT those establishments listed in Parts 1 and 2 of the regulations (Leisure, Recreation, Grooming and Hospitality), subject to social distancing.

Schools will, I expect, return after half term (beginning of June), but probably only part time to stagger classes and allow distancing.

Hair Salons and Barbers are probably going to return at the same time. This is a difficult one, because it is really hard to control the infection risk, but equally we cannot go forever without hair cuts.

Other Leisure, may return in July, and at that time, use of the canals might be opened up again.

Hospitality is probably going to be August/September with restrictions, and possibly not fully open until Christmas.

• Greenie 2